ColourSpace CMS - Next Generation Calibration... Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 907Likes

post #691 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5925 Post(s)
Liked: 6509
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
For what it is worth the sample of i1d3 rev B units I've had through my hands (2x retail, 1x OEM with 2000 nits capability) have been slightly less sensitive than both of the i1d3 Rev As I've seen (one retail, one OEM). from screen the Rev As were relatively happy returning a (junk for chroma) reading down to 0.003 nits, but the Rev B units struggle to get down to there. However I still have only in the end kept my most recent OEM rev B as for reading from lens having some confidence of the top end is more valuable than a still mediocre or unnavailable dark reading from screen at the bottom, and this current i1d3 seems to have filters that were most aligned to CIE observer for my projector vs the Jeti 1201 I had.

Reading "JVC dark" from screen on an i1d3 certainly hasn't got any better, so don't waste time / money on it if you have an expectation to get a result that is worth anything there.
Thanks, but at the time I had only an SDR calibration with around 100,000:1 native on/off or so (iris fully closed) vs around 50,000:1 now (iris -11), both around 50nits peak white.

Now my main calibration is my SDR DCI-P3 calibration to tonemap HDR (with madVR/Envy) and has 120 peak white (iris fully open, with 30,000:1 native on/off). My "JVC Dark" isn't the same

As I said in a previous post, I'm not hopeful regarding my SDR calibration, but I don't really care about it that much. If I can improve my results at least with my HDR calibration, that's worth the trouble.

Who knows, I might even eat my words and go for a dual tripod combo if the speed improvements are worth it vs the Discus.

I'm doing the test anyway, I'll post my results when I'm done if they are positive.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro/Diva
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 12:39 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked: 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Thanks, but at the time I had only an SDR calibration with around 100,000:1 native on/off or so (iris fully closed) vs around 50,000:1 now (iris -11), both around 50nits peak white.

Now my main calibration is my SDR DCI-P3 calibration to tonemap HDR (with madVR/Envy) and has 120 peak white (iris fully open, with 30,000:1 native on/off). My "JVC Dark" isn't the same

As I said in a previous post, I'm not hopeful regarding my SDR calibration, but I don't really care about it that much. If I can improve my results at least with my HDR calibration, that's worth the trouble.

Who knows, I might even eat my words and go for a dual tripod combo if the speed improvements are worth it vs the Discus.

I'm doing the test anyway, I'll post my results when I'm done if they are positive.
It might just about work for you then at 0.004 nits with either the rev A or B. Note with the JVC black when I've tried from screen with the intelligent integration it will sometimes settle for a stable yet incorrect false reading with some meter options (a factor of 3-5 larger than the 0.004nits). Be interesting to know how you get on with it.
Manni01 likes this.
post #693 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberator72 View Post
One thing that should be noted about this for full disclosure.

Usually, when performing a probe match you obviously validate the match. Previously, when using FCMM with the i1d3 on a WOLED, you can sometimes fight like hell to get a NIST valid match, and sometimes you never will on a WOLED in Wide gamut. xy is usually always correct with RGBW, and Y is always within NIST for GBW, whereas Red can struggle with Y. Sometimes I can get it NIST valid but usually, as you state above, it averages around 2%.

But...The correction used above was done very quickly with FCVM and as you can see, RGB are all perfectly well within NIST. However, when that correction data is used with the traditional FCMM method, the errors are much larger than they usually are.

What I'm trying to say is, with FCMM on WOLED, it can be a struggle with the i1d3 to get a good (NIST valid) probe match on WOLED, whereas with FCVM it easy, straightforward and works.

If I get the time in the near future and if other have an interest in me doing it, I will perform the FCMM in LightSpace so as to get that match as good as I possibly can, and with that BPD data, use it for FCVM too. As Enrico says above, it could potentially lead to even further benefits!
Better using CS capability to save both native and FCVM corrected readings. Then FCMM can be easily done in excel. You save time and have cleaner conparison. Avoid LS for that; it is still clipping negative Z in probe matching, and its probe matching is inferior to CS one (pre-roll, stabilisation).
I am out for 2 weeks, but when I am back, I will do that.
liberator72 likes this.

TV: LG 55E8PLA, Pana TX-L37ET5E BD/DVR: Panasonic BMR-BWT735 Media player: Teufel Connector 2, HT Rec: ANTHEM MRX 510,
Front: Woofer&Tweeter, Center: 2Woofer&1Tweeter, Surround: Bose acoustimass 5 series II, Sub: SVS SB2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 5359 Post(s)
Liked: 6564
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr9999 View Post
Better using CS capability to save both native and FCVM corrected readings. Then FCMM can be easily done in excel. You save time and have cleaner conparison. Avoid LS for that; it is still clipping negative Z in probe matching, and its probe matching is inferior to CS one (pre-roll, stabilisation).
I am out for 2 weeks, but when I am back, I will do that.
When you do the probe matching in CS how large of a pre-roll do you use? Anything special?

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #695 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr9999 View Post
Avoid LS for that; it is still clipping negative Z in probe matching, and its probe matching
I thought that had changed in a recent LS update? But okay that’s cool if you’d like to do it as it frees my time for other things. Thanks.

LG OLED65C9MLB**Denon AVR-X3500H**Focal Sib Evo Atmos 5.1.2**Sky Q UHD**Xbox One X**Panasonic DP-UB820**ATV 4K
Klein K10-A**Jeti 1501**i1D3 OEM**ColourSpace HTX**LightSpace HTP**CalMAN Home for LG**DVDO AVLab TPG**HD Fury Integral 2
Ted's Disk & Media Files**S & M HD & UHD HDR Benchmark Disks
post #696 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
don't worry, I've read the posts. my answers stand exactly as such. There's no need to re-post if I said it already three times, three different ways. There's a few other folks following in here, they deserve proper info.

u however can believe whatever u want, though.

u contradict urself. Next, I only know calibrators that always want the best result in each cal session, so that even w/ fast drift dE stays as low as possible.

it's not a "LUT engine" and patch sets and grid sequences aren't "LUTs" either, which is what u posted various times today... (?)

understand the minimum of this: all of these things are connected, and weakest link in the chain ultimately limits the final result. no matter how much the other parts in the chain overcompensate, it won't change any of this.

as I explained before: none of the colorimeters are accurate, so ur entire hierarchy is pointless. understand this:

(1) re accuracy: it doesn't matter which colorimeter u use
(2) u need proper ref offset data for all of the meters w/ the best offset variant (that is available in ur solution)
(3) re speed: if that is of concern, K10A is ur choice
(4) re repeatability: that is the most important aspect, and (1), (2) and (3) do NOT affect or change that.... K10A followed by CR100 are king here, which is why Pros have these (besides low light and speed).

if u do not have (4), then (2) is way less effective. which is exactly what I explained before.

some folks here claim they can bring the i1D3 close to K10A levels re (4). I ask for stats, they have none.

What they post are synthetic calculations that do not reflect the real world, it only shows that the offset variant works on a static data set - a one time data capture.

but in the real world where real calibrators live, the i1D3 will not provide the same data repeatably as the K10A does (unless u severely sacrifice speed and re-read multiple times), hence what was captured in the probe offsets is obviously not the same reads u will do w/ the i1D3 during a long profile (hence the offsets are off, and therefore the math will be off)..... read this again, understand this.

doing synthetic calcs on static data sets only proves the math of the offsets variant is somewhat accurate. it does NOT in any way shape or form prove repeatability, which is why I've been asking multiple times for data that proves this, until it was clear it's clown business statements.

like I said: u and nobody else can have it both ways. but w/ extra work and smart patch sets u can scrape a lot of useful data from the i1D3.
100% agreed.

I've been following the conversation and am not amused about the misleading information being posted here. Mike, you have the patience of a saint. Please stay on course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01
how low it can read reliably on LCOS when facing the screen with optimised speed settings in Colourspace
You are not asking the questions you should be asking. But I digress, the speed settings in CS are not relevant when it comes to the i1Display Pro's ability to read low light. That is rather consistent. "Reliability" (your words) on this instrument can only be achieved by increasing the measurements, as Mike already explained ad nauseam.

We own Klein+Jeti and CRI combos (100/250) and do calibrate LCOS once in a while. Nothing too wild if you know the ABCs, as you say. Reading your posts, you don't.

I also do not believe that you advise other professionals in regards to color work.

P
Iron Mike likes this.
post #697 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht_pete View Post
100% agreed.

I've been following the conversation and am not amused about the misleading information being posted here. Mike, you have the patience of a saint. Please stay on course
Pete !!!

u know what they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

I'll hit u up offline soon.

calibration & profiling solutions: DCT v2, Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools, Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
meter: CR-300, Klein K-10 A, i1Pro 2, i1D3
post #698 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 03:24 PM

to the CS testing team,

are there any improvements in CS with regards to LUT calculation or the implementation of the AWP (alternative white point) ?

Quote:
I'll hit u up offline soon.
Please do, eager to test another AWP. Also, did not notice any accuracy improvements in Chromasurf.
post #699 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 03:30 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
But I digress, the speed settings in CS are not relevant when it comes to the i1Display Pro's ability to read low light. That is rather consistent.
This is not correct; the integration time setting directly affects the ability of the i1d3 via the Xrite API to return a "valid" reading at very low light levels (well, "something" derived from the sensor output at least, noise may dominate). If the integration time is set too fast there is a window of light levels where the meter returns either no reading, or perhaps more worryingly, some bogus data with never-changing colorimetry data across multiple re-reads.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #700 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Please do, eager to test another AWP. Also, did not notice any accuracy improvements in Chromasurf.
ChromaSurf only shows three (3) digits (by default), improvements start at 4th digit in all cases we've encountered.

Also Pete, a friendly heads up, some folks get very jumpy here re discussing even marginal related stuff. I'll update.
ht_pete likes this.

calibration & profiling solutions: DCT v2, Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools, Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
meter: CR-300, Klein K-10 A, i1Pro 2, i1D3
post #701 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
ChromaSurf only shows three (3) digits (by default), improvements start at 4th digit in all cases we've encountered.

Also Pete, a friendly heads up, some folks get very jumpy here re discussing even marginal related stuff. I'll update.
copy that and my apologies, I did not find a dedicated thread.
Iron Mike likes this.
post #702 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
This is not correct; the integration time setting directly affects the ability of the i1d3 via the Xrite API to return a "valid" reading at very low light levels (well, "something" derived from the sensor output at least, noise may dominate). If the integration time is set too fast there is a window of light levels where the meter returns either no reading, or perhaps more worryingly, some bogus data with never-changing colorimetry data across multiple re-reads.
I am referring to the capabilities of the instrument itself. That is fixed. Firmware or EDR changes can only use more of the original potential of the hardware. The low light capability of the instrument itself is always the same.

Integration time setting needs to be adjusted for the display type that you are profiling. If I profile LCD and purposely raise the black level I will have much less trouble reading a 5% color than attempting to use the i1Display Pro on RGB OLED (black is zero).

Therefore, the integration time is source or illuminant dependent. The low light capability of the instrument is fixed, no integration time will change that.

P
Iron Mike likes this.
post #703 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 04:26 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
I am referring to the capabilities of the instrument itself. That is fixed. Firmware or EDR changes can only use more of the original potential of the hardware. The low light capability of the instrument itself is always the same.
Ah, I see, you're using the telepathic interface to get direct to the hardware capabilities, and avoiding the driver and firmware layers...! These things are inextricably linked for the most part and as I say there are settings that directly trade off the ability of the instrument (being the combination of all those things) to return a reading at all at low light levels.

It goes without saying that every hardware device has a limit, where the signals you are attempting to measure are simply below the noise floor of the instrument. But it isn't a given that all settings give you access to the furthest reaches of the hardware capabilities, or that those settings that do give access to the furthest reaches are practical in general use. However by combining the two dynamically (outside of the Xrite API and driver, the natural boundary of the purchased instrument) it is possible to have settings which can give very good dark measurements (within limits) and sill complete large profiles in sensible time.

To further illustrate the issue with what you said (that "the speed settings in CS are not relevant when it comes to the i1Display Pro's ability to read low light"); with a too short integration time you can take as many readings at a low light level as you like and average them; you'll still get nothing as the instrument doesn't actually return anything of any use. However by changing the integration time and optionally using averaging you will actually start to get somewhat useable data over the same time period.
post #704 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see, you're using the telepathic interface to get direct to the hardware capabilities, and avoiding the driver and firmware layers...! These things are inextricably linked for the most part and as I say there are settings that directly trade off the ability of the instrument (being the combination of all those things) to return a reading at all at low light levels.

It goes without saying that every hardware device has a limit, where the signals you are attempting to measure are simply below the noise floor of the instrument. But it isn't a given that all settings give you access to the furthest reaches of the hardware capabilities, or that those settings that do give access to the furthest reaches are practical in general use. However by combining the two dynamically (outside of the Xrite API and driver, the natural boundary of the purchased instrument) it is possible to have settings which can give very good dark measurements (within limits) and sill complete large profiles in sensible time.

To further illustrate the issue with what you said (that "the speed settings in CS are not relevant when it comes to the i1Display Pro's ability to read low light"); with a too short integration time you can take as many readings at a low light level as you like and average them; you'll still get nothing as the instrument doesn't actually return anything of any use. However by changing the integration time and optionally using averaging you will actually start to get somewhat useable data over the same time period.
It appears that you have taken the opportunity to state some knowledge that you have gathered, rather than illustrate why my statement is incorrect, which it is not. You state things I have never said but present them as if I did. But then you also repeat some of my notions. Rather odd.

The discrepancy here is that you are blending integration time and low light capability into one. I do not. The hardware has limits and I separate physical, fixed attributes from a configurable, dynamic setting parameter. For someone who likes to present himself as technically knowledgeable I hope that you can appreciate that.

P
post #705 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
One final thing on that subject is that they are not "my" turbo settings. This was all discussed a long time ago in the LightSpace thread where people were trying to get things to work faster. Several tried it and it worked for most/all of them IIRC. It is OLD NEWS!
Indeed, those are MY turbo settings which are based on extensive tests on a LG WOLED. As soon as possible, I will do a comparison between the i1d3 and the K10-A, not to demonstrate anything more than the validity of the i1d3 readings with MY settings

For now, I can say that my i1d3 rev. B-02 reads down to 0,003 nits and that using Integration time at full throttle (6 seconds) it's not as good as using intelligent integration time at 2 nits. With the latter, the probe can take up to 20 seconds to read a dark patch while with fixed Integration time at 6 seconds it takes "only" that time to read the same patch, therefore reading less light. So, of course low light reading capability is fixed but you can get that best fixed capability only by using the correct settings.

T.U.C. Master | TVs: Pioneer PDP-LX5090H, LG OLED55C8PLA | AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX-921 | BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT260EG | External LUT box: Entertainment Experience eeColor | Softwares: Light Illusion Lightspace HTP,, ColourSpace HTX, CM Enthusiast, HCFR, DisplayCAL | Probes: Klein K10-A, Jeti spectraval 1501, X-Rite i1 Display Pro OEM Rev. B-02 | Test Pattern Generator: Riccardo Biasiotto’s PGenerator (RPi)
post #706 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger.miki View Post
Indeed, those are MY turbo settings which are based on extensive tests on a LG WOLED. As soon as possible, I will do a comparison between the i1d3 and the K10-A, not to demonstrate anything more than the validity of the i1d3 readings with MY settings
Yes, I did not want to name you in regards to that so as to prevent you being dragged into all of this. The past couple days of discussion, or the rather the tone of the discussion, has been completely unwarranted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger.miki View Post
For now, I can say that my i1d3 rev. B-02 reads down to 0,003 nits and that using Integration time at full throttle (6 seconds) it's not as good as using intelligent integration time at 2 nits. With the latter, the probe can take up to 20 seconds to read a dark patch while with fixed Integration time at 6 seconds it takes "only" that time to read the same patch, therefore reading less light. So, of course low light reading capability is fixed but you can get that best fixed capability only by using the correct settings.
This all started from a minor misunderstanding of a simple comment taken out of context in a larger sentence which (I thought) I clarified what I had said/meant quite clearly very quickly. At that point things were very civil. I have no idea why the discussion has been twisted and turned into something it is not.

But yes, I also plan to do the comparison with the i1d3 Int 0.75 (default advised) i1d3 Int 0.25 and Klein K10-A at some point as soon as I can and have the time.
Manni01 and mrtickleuk like this.

LG OLED65C9MLB**Denon AVR-X3500H**Focal Sib Evo Atmos 5.1.2**Sky Q UHD**Xbox One X**Panasonic DP-UB820**ATV 4K
Klein K10-A**Jeti 1501**i1D3 OEM**ColourSpace HTX**LightSpace HTP**CalMAN Home for LG**DVDO AVLab TPG**HD Fury Integral 2
post #707 of 765 Old 06-30-2020, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 778
I know mate, don't worry. Thanks.
post #708 of 765 Old 07-01-2020, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 5359 Post(s)
Liked: 6564
After all this discussion on the i1D3 i think everyone's got the point Leon is making. I don't use this meter but for those who do, this kind of information is welcome, especially for a Home Enthusiast. Leon's testing an observations are important and valuable to many here on AVS.

My personal take on this is an i1D3 is a consumer grade meter where for the cost does a great job especially if you get one that's fairly accurate or you can profile it to a reference. But there are so many other things as many have mentioned when comparing a $350ish to a $7,000 meter. For me, when i was a Home Enthusiast, i had a C6 and it worked fine, it did everything i needed it to do but when you are at someone's house or a place of business calibrating professionally, you need the fastest, most accurate and repeatable setup your business can afford. That said, getting the most out of an i1D3 is incredibly valuable and not so valuable depending your specific situation.

I will say this, years ago when i first got on to AVS i didn't know how to calibrate at all. But i got started and learned from people like Leon, Miki, Ted and many other's who are willing to share their knowledge. Eventually i went and got some formal training and the rest is history. At the end of the day we need to keep everything in perspective.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #709 of 765 Old 07-01-2020, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Yes, I did not want to name you in regards to that so as to prevent you being dragged into all of this. The past couple days of discussion, or the rather the tone of the discussion, has been completely unwarranted.

This all started from a minor misunderstanding of a simple comment taken out of context in a larger sentence which (I thought) I clarified what I had said/meant quite clearly very quickly. At that point things were very civil. I have no idea why the discussion has been twisted and turned into something it is not.

But yes, I also plan to do the comparison with the i1d3 Int 0.75 (default advised) i1d3 Int 0.25 and Klein K10-A at some point as soon as I can and have the time.

Leon how about extra delay time for the i1d3, leave that at default 0.75 or is there a better value?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S/W: LightSpace HTL, CalMAN Home for LG
P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG, VideoForge Pro
Meters: i1PRO2, SpectraCAL C6 HDR2000
TV: LG Oled 65 c8, chinoppo udp-203, himedia q10 pro
AVR: Denon x-4500 5.1.4, SVS Prime Satellite 5.1, RSL C34E
post #710 of 765 Old 07-01-2020, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 171
@liberator72

I noticed some strange behavior recently..
Black is raised on my Nvidia Shield Pro hdmi with the same picture mode I used with your DV method. It is fine with the internal app. I actually calibrated and reset the picture mode using a DV movie with Vudu.

Am I safe to assume I can just copy the 22pt values, reset the picture mode while on the Shield input and load the same config to see if it fixes it?
Any idea why the reset didn't copy across all inputs? Could this be a bug where a reset needs to be done on all inputs before calibrating?

I did double check other picture modes to be sure and there are no raised blacks in the others on the same hdmi input. Also, changed inputs and same result.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2019 LG C9 65"
2019 LG SL10YG Soundbar
I1D3 OEM
Calman Home RC1
Lightspace/Colorspace
post #711 of 765 Old 07-01-2020, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz911 View Post
Leon how about extra delay time for the i1d3, leave that at default 0.75 or is there a better value?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Extra Delay is something you have to figure out for yourself, as I said before. It depends on your TPG, how you're connected to it (Network/USB), whether it is 24Hz or 60Hz, etc etc. Steve posted a very simple method on how to work this out a page or two back. If you are not sure then leave it at your recommended default.

This also applies to the i1d3 settings (Integration, Intelligent Integration). If you are not sure, just use the recommended defaults. This whole thing has got blown waaaaay out of proportion due to a simple comment being taken way out of context and turned into something that was never said, which has ended up in a discussion going around in circles.

If you are not sure, or have no inclination to test the faster settings for yourself to confirm they can work for you in your setup, then don't attempt to use them. My initial post was to show that the new method of probe matching in ColourSpace works great and I happened to be using the "Turbo Settings" at the time and just mentioned that the test profile completed in a time comparable to the one I did with the Klein, and I found that impressive. There is literally NOTHING more to it than that.

I have repeated it many times now and it getting really tiresome, especially with much more important things I have to deal with in my own day to day life. So please, if you have read what I said from the beginning, you will have seen that I said you need to test it all, for yourself, in your own specific setup and your own specific environment to find the best settings for yourself. If you cannot do that or do not know how to, then just use the recommended defaults.

I am apologise if this comes off as a little snarky, I don't mean it to but I really am tired of repeating everything over and over because of something that was blown up into a drama over nothing, which has essentially caused a lot of confusion over something that is really quite simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMINENT1 View Post
@liberator72

I noticed some strange behavior recently..
Black is raised on my Nvidia Shield Pro hdmi with the same picture mode I used with your DV method. It is fine with the internal app. I actually calibrated and reset the picture mode using a DV movie with Vudu.

Am I safe to assume I can just copy the 22pt values, reset the picture mode while on the Shield input and load the same config to see if it fixes it?
Any idea why the reset didn't copy across all inputs? Could this be a bug where a reset needs to be done on all inputs before calibrating?

I did double check other picture modes to be sure and there are no raised blacks in the others on the same hdmi input. Also, changed inputs and same result.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Raised black from the Nvidia Shield is a source device issue AFAIK. Just as it is with the ATV4K. If you do not have raised black with your internal apps then you have done nothing wrong. I do not have the Nvidia Shield, but ATV4K gives raised black over HDMI (known issue), UHD BluRay in DoVi over HDMI has no such issues from my Panasonic UB820. With that in mind, nothing you do will fix it, it is either an issue with the Shield DoVi output (as is assumed with ATV4K) or a bug with the LG in the way it handles specific types of DoVi over HDMI. My "guess" would be the former. But this would be a question for the LG specific threads, or the Nvidia Shield threads.

IIRC, when you reset a Pic Mode, it need to be done per each input, so it is not a bug IMO.

To everyone else.........

I have a life away from here. A normal day job and a family along with some very important things I need to take care of so I don't have time to keep answering the same thing over and over and over. Everything has been explained, over and over and over. Clarified many times in many ways. If you are unsure, stick to the safe bet with your i1d3 probe settings. Same with the DoVi Cal. I spent a lot of time working on that guide and it is FULLY explained with detailed descriptions of every step of the process. It is very, very simple provided you follow it carefully. If you have issues such as raised blacks from an external source device, it will be due to the source device, as there are no raised blacks in DoVi over HDMI with a source device with accurate output.

Everything I did, I did for my own fun and my own learning because I've become passionate about it. I thought some of the these things would be of interest to others. There is nothing more to it than that. I am not a "Pro" nor do I ever intend to try and be one. It is not my "job" to spend all my time here justifying to anyone what I have said or done, nor is it my "job" to spend my time trying to help and/or support others. I do it because I enjoy it, and because there are others here who have helped me in the past. It is a form of paying back the community that gave to me. I'm beginning to think that it's not worth the hassle you get for just trying to help
Manni01, Make73, highmr and 4 others like this.

post #712 of 765 Old 07-01-2020, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The guide is great, no raised black issues for me, even with ATV4K. It works as it’s supposed to work.
post #713 of 765 Old 07-01-2020, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone know what the “raw XYZ” meter preset is for the i1displaypro in Colorspace? I’d like to make sure I’m using an uncorrected baseline for FCVM. Thanks.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
post #714 of 765 Old 07-01-2020, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 6258 Post(s)
Liked: 9107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Does anyone know what the “raw XYZ” meter preset is for the i1displaypro in Colorspace? I’d like to make sure I’m using an uncorrected baseline for FCVM. Thanks.
I'm not a Colourspace user at the moment, but from my memory it may be called "Generic CMF".
Manni01 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #715 of 765 Old 07-01-2020, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I'm not a Colourspace user at the moment, but from my memory it may be called "Generic CMF".
Thanks, that's the one I had selected, just wanted a confirmation.
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #716 of 765 Old 07-01-2020, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Yep. "Generic CMF".

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #717 of 765 Old 07-03-2020, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 136
CIE DE2000 optimized

I just did a verification of my 165 nit SDR FCVM LUT done with my i1 Display Pro Plus and i1 Pro 2. The CIE DE2000 results are excellent with only one point over de2000 of 1. (255,255,255 is de2000 1.05)

If I change the Delta-E pulldown to ITP, (ICtCp) I get dozens of points over 1 and a few over 2.

From this, I can speculate that the LUT transforms are set up to target the lowest de2000. Would there be an advantage to having the LUT transforms target the lowest deITP?

LeRoy

LG OLED65C8PUA, Onkyo TX-RZ920, Panasonic DP-UB820, Apple TV 4K, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, AT&T Gigabit Internet & U-verse
post #718 of 765 Old 07-03-2020, 09:11 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoyK View Post
I just did a verification of my 165 nit SDR FCVM LUT done with my i1 Display Pro Plus and i1 Pro 2. The CIE DE2000 results are excellent with only one point over de2000 of 1. (255,255,255 is de2000 1.05)

If I change the Delta-E pulldown to ITP, (ICtCp) I get dozens of points over 1 and a few over 2.

From this, I can speculate that the LUT transforms are set up to target the lowest de2000. Would there be an advantage to having the LUT transforms target the lowest deITP?

LeRoy
The LUT engine doesn't target any kind of dE.

dEICtCp is more sensitive to some errors than others (if you looked at dE1976 you'll also see a pattern of higher errors than dE2000 reports). The whole alignment of dE2000 to dEICtCp isn't very strongly based; Dolby did some comparisons for a display type to dE2000 and there is a multiplier they suggested to apply.

At a guess your higher dEICtCp points may well be in the darker regions, where dE2k is notably insensitive. You might find trying to target those areas, or using better probes, may yield better results.

Edit: there are some Dolby papers you can find via Google. dEICtCp wasn't the holy grail either; they had some results where the actual JND elipses didn't coincide very well with their predictions in their algorithm. It's just another tool to add (perhaps) to the armoury.
LeRoyK, Manni01 and jrref like this.

Last edited by bobof; 07-03-2020 at 09:15 AM.
post #719 of 765 Old 07-03-2020, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
At a guess your higher dEICtCp points may well be in the darker regions, where dE2k is notably insensitive. You might find trying to target those areas, or using better probes, may yield better results.
Yes, the majority of larger dEICtCp errors for this LUT are in the darker regions.
jrref likes this.

LG OLED65C8PUA, Onkyo TX-RZ920, Panasonic DP-UB820, Apple TV 4K, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, AT&T Gigabit Internet & U-verse
post #720 of 765 Old 07-03-2020, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
As bobof says, no decent calibration system should ever use or target a dE formula, as that will distort the calibration accuracy in favour of that formula.
All dE reports are just that - reports on the result of calibration, not a target for calibration.

They all use different formulas in attempting to 'define' colour accuracy, and none are actually accurate.

Our views on dE ITP can be seen here: https://www.lightillusion.com/forums...m=18&topic=481
(It really is no better than any other dE formula...)

Steve
LeRoyK likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page