WTB first time calibrator for projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Hendrixwannabe1
  • 3 Post By CalWldLif
  • 1 Post By Hendrixwannabe1

post #1 of 8 Old 03-27-2019, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What to buy first time calibrator for projector/tv

Long time lurker. I just finished my theater room and have always wanted to try calibrating my own displays(projectors/tv). I am currently wondering what exactly I should buy hardware wise for around $300 or less. I will increase my budget if absolutely needed. I know I have read about the xrite i1 display pro and there are different firmware versions. I just want to get a good starter calibration meter or bundle(meter,dvd, software or other stuff). Is there some other place I should be looking at other than amazon?

What other recommendations do you all have for getting started down this path? Do I need a blu-ray/dvd calibration disk?

Last edited by jpolachak; 03-27-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-31-2019, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi there,
I got the i1 display pro recently and it has worked well for me. I am sure there is better stuff out there but I am only doing my pj and tv at home and work.

Are you going to be watching SDR movies or HDR movies?

For the pj you will have to get hold of some test images on a disc or USB. Also need to get some software for run the calibration process. I have been using HCFR. It's a steep learning curve but it's free.

Have fun.
jpolachak likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-01-2019, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrixwannabe1 View Post
Hi there,
I got the i1 display pro recently and it has worked well for me. I am sure there is better stuff out there but I am only doing my pj and tv at home and work.

Are you going to be watching SDR movies or HDR movies?

For the pj you will have to get hold of some test images on a disc or USB. Also need to get some software for run the calibration process. I have been using HCFR. It's a steep learning curve but it's free.

Have fun.
I will be using this for SDR and HDR. I plan to try to calibrate my 2+ year old vizio m series tv, and epson projector. I was planning on using HCFR because its free. I had the Joe Kane Video Essentials blu-ray but lost it. I was going to buy the spears and munsil disk.

I was just looking for a recommendation for tools hardware/software for a someone new to the hobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-01-2019, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 78
welcome.
the industry/hobby has changed.
got to give a high respect for HCFR, graem and others have really made a good software program.

be careful of the traps of meter and meter accuracy.

then the pattern generator issues of good or ok.

warning, read, read, read.
becareful of opinions and putting faith in one person.
we all make mistakes.

think it thru.

it is safe to say the x-rite eye 1 display pro colorimeter is a great value and when set to the right picture technology mode to match your tv tech
can yield a very good calibration.

understand you need
meter to read the light
pattern source to put up swatches for the meter to read
software to report the meter readings and control patterns.

good luck and happy reading.

Loving D65
post #5 of 8 Old 04-02-2019, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I used Ryan Masciola's HDR10 calibration Disc. Seemed to work fine and he was easy to contact for any advise.
jpolachak likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-03-2019, 01:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2901 Post(s)
Liked: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolachak View Post
I plan to try to calibrate my 2+ year old vizio m series tv, and epson projector. I was planning on using HCFR because its free. I had the Joe Kane Video Essentials blu-ray but lost it. I was going to buy the spears and munsil disk.
Hi,

About the calibration disks you mentioned, when you will use instruments/calibration software:

Joe Kane's Digital Video Essentials (DVE): has 21-Step Grayscale patterns but zero patterns for Color Gamut calibration, so this disk can't be used for a complete calibration with meter/software.

Spears & Munsil v1: has none pattern for measurements with instruments; no grayscale, no Color Gamut patterns, so this disk can't be used for a complete calibration with meter/software.

Spears & Munsil v2: has patterns for 11-Point Grayscale and CMS, but you can't fully calibrate models from Samsung/LG/Sony/Panasonic (or other brands) where they are equipped with 20-Point Grayscale RGB balance controls.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #7 of 8 Old 04-03-2019, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2901 Post(s)
Liked: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolachak View Post
Long time lurker. I just finished my theater room and have always wanted to try calibrating my own displays(projectors/tv). I am currently wondering what exactly I should buy hardware wise for around $300 or less. I will increase my budget if absolutely needed. I know I have read about the xrite i1 display pro and there are different firmware versions. I just want to get a good starter calibration meter or bundle(meter,dvd, software or other stuff). Is there some other place I should be looking at other than amazon?

What other recommendations do you all have for getting started down this path? Do I need a blu-ray/dvd calibration disk?
Hi, If you decide to get your own meter and start the journey, the ideal meter to get is the X-Rite i1Display PRO and if you want to improve it more, you can add a spectrophotometer (like i1PRO2, as future step of color accuracy upgrade) to use it for creating a unique meter correction table for each of your displays/projectors, to improve your colorimeter color accuracy. To see why you need both or a lot of other details generally about these 2 meters see there. But starting from the colorimeter (i1Display PRO) is a proper and ideal start for all, for the budget you have to spend. To the linked page of X-Rite, its explaining the difference between OEM vs. Retail i1Display PRO.

For example if you have a high-brighntess LCD like the Samsung Q9FN can output about 1700-1800 nits peak white, the i1Display PRO Retail has certified to measure up to 1000nits, while the i1Display PRO OEM has certified to measure up to 2000 nits.

About that peak output difference, it doesn't mean that the Retail version will stop the readings at 1000 nits; it can read higher; beyond 2000 nits, but X-Rite is not certify/check that the measurement you will see it will be accurate.

Any calibration software for manual calibration using normal OSD menus can provide you the exact the same end results, since its a graphical presentation of what your meter is reading. So when you perform manual cal, whatever software you will use, the end results will be the same, the interface is different only.

About calibration software there free solutions, you can download:

1) HCFR from here with support forum topic: HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software

2) The Free DPS version of LightSpace CMS can be used also with an i1Display PRO meter, there available to read various guides on the Light Illusion website.

The specific guide for use with LightSpace DPS is here.

But there is a lot of potentially useful/interesting info in the various guides on the website also.

Support forum topic: Free LightSpace DPS - Manual Display Calibration

There is a HCFR tutorial from a forum member here: The certainly not complete user guide to get to know and calibrate your TV

After selecting your calibration software, you have to find a calibration disk which had been created specifically for each software because there differences between calibration disk that can affect the final result when you will use not proper patterns for each measurement run.

You will playback the calibration disk from the source you use to playback your movies, to include to the adjustments you will make any player internal processing/colorspace conversions inaccuracies, to have your full video chain calibrated.

You will need to get some patterns for measurements for SDR (REC.709) and for HDR10 (REC.2020).

For example, the calibration steps it will be to measure and find your device most accurate picture mode (cinema/isf/professional etc.) finding out what TV colorspace option provides better color gamut tracking of you target gamut (use 5-Point Saturation Sweep to find out), then check what color temp mode has less RGB balance errors, then do the same with gamma presets...to find out which setting provide you closer tracking of your target gamma....then check contrast/brightness/color for clipping, start with 2-Point RGB balance using 30% Gray and 100% White patterns (fix using RGB-High controls RGB balance errors only...while with backlight/oled light handle and set the peak output you want)....then after a lot of back/forth between these 2 measurements and by checking again contrast/brightness, you will move to 10 or 20-Point adjustments....after the end of grayscale calibration (and by checking again contrast/brightness) you move to CMS calibration and after the end of CMS you re-check Grayscale and CMS again for smaller re-adjustments.

For improve your calibration knowledge, here are some useful links generally for calibration:

http://www.tlvexp.ca/

Video Calibration From The Inside - Volume I - 2nd Edition-1

http://chromapure.com/demos.asp

http://chromapure.com/ChromaPureManual.pdf

http://www.spectracal.com/downloads/...n%20How-To.pdf

http://calman.spectracal.com/user-guides.html

http://calman.spectracal.com/webinars.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/SpectraCal

http://lightillusion.com/why_calibrate.html

http://lightillusion.com/delta-e.html

http://lightillusion.com/manual_cali...ots_guide.html

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #8 of 8 Old 04-03-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm using the i1 Display Pro, HCFR software, the free AVSHD709 patterns for SDR found here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...libration.html
and purchased the Ryan Masciola patterns for HDR, info found here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...-patterns.html

I've also purchased the Spears and Munsil v2 discs, which, in my opinion, were a waste of money. They don't have anything for HDR, and I can do everything I need to do for SDR with the free AVSHD patterns.

Projector: Epson 5040UB | Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3 for Mains, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 for Center and Surrounds, Emotiva A-700 for Front/Rear Atmos | 5.2.4 Speaker Setup: Martin Logan Motion 60XT L/R, Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center, 4 B&W M1 Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page