can i create a 3DLut file for my display without a light meter ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-01-2019, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 75
can i create a 3DLut file for my display without a light meter ?

i am hoping some of the calibration experts here might know if it is possible to create a 3DLut file for my display without a light meter ? (or if i can use a generic 3DLut file for ex , if i know some of the basic parameters my display, like max nits, black level and the color space it is intended for).

from my previous reading on the topic of hardware calibration for displays, i assumed i needed a hardware light meter to create a 3DLut file (for ex http://www.spectracal.com/Documents/...QuickStart.pdf ),

but @ the kodi media player forum i recently noticed this post (made a couple of yrs ago) "You can make your own generic 3Dlut without even any hardware meters in about a minute." ( https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...215#pid2591215 )

is this possible? if yes, how do i create it . if this is a less accurate method, it would still be useful to have access to it for testing purposes, until i can get access to a light meter and can use the hardware creation method

the purpose of creating the 3DLut file is to load it in madvr media player, so i can play 4K rec2020 color space 10bit video files on my HTPC, but send it as down converted resolution 1080p (but still maintaining the rec.2020 WCG) to my 1080p display (which can accept a video signal of DCI-P3 coverage of 94%, ). it is technically possible to do this (as confirmed by madshi previously, but he also referred to needing a light meter to create the 3Dlut file ), but i need a 3DLut file to implement it.

Last edited by Jorgens; 04-01-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-01-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked: 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgens View Post
but @ the kodi media player forum i recently noticed this post (made a couple of yrs ago) "You can make your own generic 3Dlut without even any hardware meters in about a minute." ( https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...215#pid2591215
That article talks about using a 3DLUT to do HDR/SDR conversion. It has nothing to do with calibrating the display for accuracy. The latter definitely requires a meter.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-03-2019, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
You can create a profile from EDID data in display with DisplayCAL (File menu). If EDID data is accurate (and it is a very big "if") you can feed DisplayCAL 3DLUT maker with that profile and the source profile you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page