Contrast Brightness Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-07-2019, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Contrast Brightness Help

I have a Samsung 55 inch MU6300 UHD 4K TV which is an entry level TV. I'm using the THX Optimizer to adjust the picture so I can have as accurate a picture the TV will allow. Because it's an entry level TV I can't use these calibration disks to their full advantage. Adjusting the contrast to make the white boxes merge and become an all white single box doesn't work. In Cinema mode the contrast defaults to 95 and when I turn it up to 100 I can still see all the boxes so I back it down to 95 just to sort of have a cushion...I don't like to max out anything....unless maxing out the contrast to 100 won't hurt anything.

With the brightness I have to use the black/dark boxes across the top of the screen and make the 7th box disappear/appear which I can do. Making the THX shadow drop disappear doesn't work but the boxes do work so I can set that accurately. The brightness in cinema mode defaults to zero on a scale from -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 -0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5....right in the middle. Using the Optimizer brings the brightness down to -2. Before I forget...the backlight in cinema mode defaults to 17 I think...for whatever that's worth.

My question is which would give me the most accurate picture...using the settings I get from the Optimizer or use the default Cinema mode and adjust the backlight. I'm aware the TV being an inexpensive entry level won't give me the most accurate picture you can get on more expensive models but I'd like to get as close as I can to the best picture my TV will give. The default cinema mode is close to what I get using the Optimizer except the brightness is lowered using the Optimizer. I have all the enhancements turned off by the way.

Not trying to start a fire but I do like the picture quality I see in theaters...just something about that earthy, dark/dim, warm, natural look. I just bought some curtains that have a built in sunblock which helps a lot.

Last edited by william273; 04-07-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-07-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Just because the TV is an "entry level" model doesn't mean you can't make it more accurate. With that said, many newer TVs, regardless of price, are difficult to adjust with those kinds of patterns. To correctly set contrast, you really need a meter and software. Without them, the accepted procedure is to adjust contrast and brightness with proper patterns such as those on Ted's disk or the free AVSHD download (I personally don't consider the THX Optimizer stuff "proper"). For contrast, display a pattern such as a gray ramp or bars and adjust until: a) You don't have eyestrain. b) Or no visible color shift in whites. c) And if the pattern has them, levels above 100% are distinctly visible (this is optional). For brightness, adjust just until level 16 (black) merges with the pattern's black background. These controls do interact, so you may have to go back and forth.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 04-07-2019 at 08:33 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-07-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked: 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by william273 View Post
Adjusting the contrast to make the white boxes merge and become an all white single box doesn't work.
That procedure is totally useless for adjusted contrast. The picture gets severely degraded long before you get to that point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-08-2019, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks guys. Tried the older Avia disk and got the same results. The good thing about the Optimizer is it's easy to use and navigate and has clear and easy to understand instructions which is miles above and beyond all the other disks I've seen and used. It might not be as in-depth as the others but for basic settings it's pretty darn good. However...since the Optimizer and all the others say nothing about what to do if you can't set the contrast or brightness to the patterns I might just stay with the default "Movie" mode seeing I don't know if not being able to set the contrast correctly it might directly or indirectly affect how the brightness is set so I wouldn't know if it's accurate or not....there's no way to tell. That's where the old standby default preset Movie mode comes in....if all else fails use that.

Last edited by william273; 04-08-2019 at 04:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page