Flames have bad color tones on projector and idk how to fix it - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-07-2019, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Flames have bad color tones on projector and idk how to fix it

so something i've noticed with my projector (Benq 2050a) over the past few months is that no matter what i do i can't seem to get the contrast right. If you watch the video from this link you can see what i mean. This is a clip from a movie i was watching and when an explosion came on screen it just looked really off and i can't tell if its the contrast or something else. All i know is when i turn the contrast down to 0-7 the discoloration of the flames go away but then it is too dark to watch. It bothers me because when i watch on the computer i can't notice and the flames look natural but not on my projector. Also happens with skin tones some faces look waxy as well as when i was watching a silent film the other day and the scene had a yellow tint and the over-contrastyness was present there. I've tried tweaking with all different sorts of settings (gamma, temperature, light mode) and i can't seem to get an satisfying picture. Anyone have any ideas?

fixed the link https://streamable.com/gidvn

Last edited by masterchubba; 04-09-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-08-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked: 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchubba View Post
so something i've noticed with my projector (Benq 2050a) over the past few months is that no matter what i do i can't seem to get the contrast right. If you watch the video from this link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E-c...ew?usp=sharing you can see what i mean. This is a clip from a movie i was watching and when an explosion came on screen it just looked really off and i can't tell if its the contrast or something else. All i know is when i turn the contrast down to 0-7 the discoloration of the flames go away but then it is too dark to watch. It bothers me because when i watch on the computer i can't notice and the flames look natural but not on my projector. Also happens with skin tones some faces look waxy as well as when i was watching a silent film the other day and the scene had a yellow tint and the over-contrastyness was present there. I've tried tweaking with all different sorts of settings (gamma, temperature, light mode) and i can't seem to get an satisfying picture. Anyone have any ideas?
Assuming the video accurately represents what you see, the projector is clipping very badly. Have you checked the HDMI Range setting to see if there’s a mismatch with the source? Try using a manual setting instead of Auto.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-08-2019, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Assuming the video accurately represents what you see, the projector is clipping very badly. Have you checked the HDMI Range setting to see if there’s a mismatch with the source? Try using a manual setting instead of Auto.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by HDMI range but i did check the HDMI settings and i see three options. Auto, full, and limited. Doesn't seem to matter what i change it to. Problem is still noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-14-2019, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by HDMI range but i did check the HDMI settings and i see three options. Auto, full, and limited. Doesn't seem to matter what i change it to. Problem is still noticeable.
clipping is when one of the 3 primary colors can not increase intensity.
controlled by contrast. mainly.
at some point while raising contrast one color will fail to increase while the other two will.
you will see this in the gray scale at 100 percent.

only fix is to lower contrast untill all 3 colors hold their levels at 100 and slightly above.

Loving D65
post #5 of 6 Old 04-14-2019, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post
clipping is when one of the 3 primary colors can not increase intensity.
controlled by contrast. mainly.
at some point while raising contrast one color will fail to increase while the other two will.
you will see this in the gray scale at 100 percent.

only fix is to lower contrast untill all 3 colors hold their levels at 100 and slightly above.
do you think i have a defective projector and if so is there a way i can fix it or should i just buy a new one?
post #6 of 6 Old 04-14-2019, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
do you think i have a defective projector and if so is there a way i can fix it or should i just buy a new one?
you need to experiment.
it is common for 1 color to "run out"/
there are contrast patterns that show this issue.
put up a contrast pattern with steps and when yo increase contrast control you will see discolorations.
like the white will shift to pink. this is because blue has run out and only red and green increase.
a meter with tell you for sue.
this is a common condition and does not mean the device is broken.

simply lowering the contrast until color shifts go away will get you close.
a meter will be final word.

Loving D65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page