At what distance does a meter get placed for 88" x 206" ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-10-2019, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
At what distance does a meter get placed for 88" x 206" ?

Hello everyone,
I have a 88" H x 206" wide screen that I would like to calibrate.
I'm using HCFR along with a colormunki meter. At what distance should I place the meter? In the HCFR tutorial for beginners, it says I should be about 3ft away from the screen, and centered, with the meter slightly facing upward. But that was with an average size consumer screen.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.


I'm using an Epson 5040UB along with a Sony UBP-UX80 UHD player.
(Cinema-Scope) is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 04-10-2019, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Nobody knows ?
(Cinema-Scope) is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 04-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
CalWldLif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Bay'Los Angeles California.
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 81
3 feet should give you a large area of read.

experiment and compare max light readings.

Loving D65
CalWldLif is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 Old 04-11-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 16,766
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1817 Post(s)
Liked: 3573
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cinema-Scope) View Post
Hello everyone,
I have a 88" H x 206" wide screen that I would like to calibrate.
I'm using HCFR along with a colormunki meter. At what distance should I place the meter? In the HCFR tutorial for beginners, it says I should be about 3ft away from the screen, and centered, with the meter slightly facing upward. But that was with an average size consumer screen.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.


I'm using an Epson 5040UB along with a Sony UBP-UX80 UHD player.
It should be placed at the “money” seat.
D-Nice is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 04-11-2019, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post
3 feet should give you a large area of read.

experiment and compare max light readings.

Thanks. When I place the meter 3ft from the screen, I take a constant reading at 100 IRE, and see what angle gives me the brightest possible read. Then I calibrate it from that point forward.
(Cinema-Scope) is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 04-11-2019, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
It should be placed at the “money” seat.

Not sure if this is a joke or not. But if you are referring to the main seated area, its too far from the screen. Too far for a meter anyway.
(Cinema-Scope) is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 04-11-2019, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 16,766
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1817 Post(s)
Liked: 3573
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cinema-Scope) View Post
Not sure if this is a joke or not. But if you are referring to the main seated area, its too far from the screen. Too far for a meter anyway.
It was not a joke. The best place would be from your main seating location aka “money” seat. Not sure why you would think it is too far for a meter.
D-Nice is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 04-11-2019, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
It was not a joke. The best place would be from your main seating location aka “money” seat. Not sure why you would think it is too far for a meter.

That would be roughly 17ft away from the screen. Isn't that a little much for a xrite meter ?
(Cinema-Scope) is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 04-15-2019, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cinema-Scope) View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
It was not a joke. The best place would be from your main seating location aka “money” seat. Not sure why you would think it is too far for a meter.

That would be roughly 17ft away from the screen. Isn't that a little much for a xrite meter ?
No ideas from the Calibration wizards yet ? Lol
(Cinema-Scope) is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 04-15-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 3,931
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cinema-Scope) View Post
No ideas from the Calibration wizards yet ? Lol
Umm, the guy who was answering you IS one of those. He's a highly respected professional calibrator who has helped a lot of people here...

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Rolls-Royce is online now  
post #11 of 17 Old 04-15-2019, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Umm, the guy who was answering you IS one of those. He's a highly respected professional calibrator who has helped a lot of people here...

I don't doubt that, but 17ft distance to screen for a xrite meter seems a bit far fetched.
(Cinema-Scope) is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 04-15-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 3,931
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cinema-Scope) View Post
I don't doubt that, but 17ft distance to screen for a xrite meter seems a bit far fetched.
It only is if you try it and it doesn't work. The I1D3 will read quite low, and your screen's gain will help. Besides, you didn't state the distance from seating to the screen in your initial post, did you?

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Rolls-Royce is online now  
post #13 of 17 Old 04-15-2019, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
It only is if you try it and it doesn't work. The I1D3 will read quite low, and your screen's gain will help. Besides, you didn't state the distance from seating to the screen in your initial post, did you?

Ouch, shots fired ! Can't you tell I'm new here, and to calibrating displays ? Didn't think about that, did you ?
(Cinema-Scope) is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 04-15-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rolls-Royce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 3,931
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cinema-Scope) View Post
Ouch, shots fired ! Can't you tell I'm new here, and to calibrating displays ? Didn't think about that, did you ?
My comment wasn't meant to be critical, and I'm sorry you saw it that way.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 04-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Rolls-Royce is online now  
post #15 of 17 Old 04-15-2019, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
My comment wasn't meant to be critical, and I'm sorry you saw it that way.
It's all good sir. I will get more specific information with images. Thanks.
I have 3 rows of seating which also makes an opinion on an accurate calibration a little difficult.
(Cinema-Scope) is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 04-18-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,286
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4364 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
It only is if you try it and it doesn't work. The I1D3 will read quite low, and your screen's gain will help.
The meter reading should not vary much with distance, unless the pattern size does not fully cover the field-of-view of the meter. If the readings start to fall off when you get farther from the screen, it indicates that the distance is too far.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 04-18-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #17 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 339
From my testing, which are not scientifically conducted, i1D3 FOV in contact mode is 24mm, at 10cm distance FOV is 5 cm so, more or less, at 17 feet it could be 6,5 feet (around 2,6 meters, more than your screen height). If you use Spectracal calculated FOV at 17 feet distance it has 95 cm FOV, but I don’t think their calculations are right. They say that i1D3 FOV is 25mm at 136mm distance, but x-rite indicated 24mm FOV in contact mode in the i1D3 specifications (confirmed by my testing), so how could it be 25mm at 136 mm distance?

TVs: Pioneer PDP-LX5090H, LG OLED55C8PLA | SintoAmp: Pioneer VSX-921 | BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT260EG | External LUT box: Entertainment Experience eeColor | Softwares: Light Illusion Lightspace HTP, Portrait Displays CalMAN Home Enthusiast 2018 R3, HCFR, DisplayCAL | Probes: x-rite i1 Pro 2 - i1 Display Pro OEM B-02, basICColor DISCUS | Test Pattern Generator: DVDO AVLab TPG

Last edited by Anger.miki; 04-19-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Anger.miki is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off