CalMAN Home for Samsung - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 79Likes

post #391 of 405 Old 05-14-2020, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey83 View Post
No doubt they are top notch at SDR when calibrated. My calibration probably wasn't quite as tight as yours but not very far off at all. Looks fantastic! To be honest I wasn't expecting to be able to get everything perfect with HDR but that spike is annoying me based on the fact I had it much better than that in the previous calibration. I'm going to have another go tonight and just play around with it a bit. I was pleasantly surprised with the way the CMS calibration came out... better than expected... but disappointed with the Grayscale.

Sadly the best results I have had in terms of gray scale was when I turned the TV down to about 750 nits to calibrate it. It was a bit disappointing because the picture just didn't "pop" but the Grayscale measurements were much better than calibrating it at 1000 nits... so yeah... Anyway... I'll just mess around with it.
So just for a quick update! Running the AutoCal again last night and actually paying attention to some of the steps rather than pushing through too quick. I paid more attention to the pre-cal stuff. Turns out the RGB balance of the grayscale was already very tight it was mostly luminance errors which are the issue out of the box.

In the end I stole from the 2019 workflow. I left the backlighting at max and adjusted the contrast down until it met the EOTF curve as tight as I could get it. After that I just left the grayscale as it was out off the box. Whilst it has some small errors at peak white, overall it was better out of the box than I could get with the autocal.

Did the autocal on the CMS and had good results so overall very happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre Cal.PNG
Views:	41
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	2726368   Click image for larger version

Name:	post cal.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	2726370  
WiFi-Spy and mombasa123 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 405 Old 05-14-2020, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey83 View Post
So just for a quick update! Running the AutoCal again last night and actually paying attention to some of the steps rather than pushing through too quick. I paid more attention to the pre-cal stuff. Turns out the RGB balance of the grayscale was already very tight it was mostly luminance errors which are the issue out of the box.

In the end I stole from the 2019 workflow. I left the backlighting at max and adjusted the contrast down until it met the EOTF curve as tight as I could get it. After that I just left the grayscale as it was out off the box. Whilst it has some small errors at peak white, overall it was better out of the box than I could get with the autocal.

Did the autocal on the CMS and had good results so overall very happy with it.
Pretty much what I found. CMS is good out of the box. Grayscale not brilliant from 60 onwards but better than having that horrid spike after calibration. RGB is decent but Luminance screws it.

PS don't forget your Contrast setting will need to be set according to what the material is mastered at. For me, thats 45 for 1000 nits and 46 for 4000nits

Thanks for corroborating
post #393 of 405 Old 05-22-2020, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Best is to use a spectrophotometer to create a meter profile for your I1D3, or use "RawXYZ".
I see ColorMunki listed as a reference meter to profile in the Calman meter profile walkthrough. That don’t make the ColorMunki anymore but they have i1 Studio as the replacement on xrite website. Calman also lists as a supported meter. At the price point of around $500 compared to a i1 pro for $1500 would this work to profile my i1 display pro for QLED display.

I’m in the process of getting a rpi 3 b+ to run pGenerator. Does anyone have any info on how to set this up other than on the LightSpace page telling me how to install it on rpi. I see posts that mention only RGB being bit accurate. Do I need to run a command to set this option on the rpi? And how about the tv? Will it automatically choose the color format it will be outputting based on input. Will it convert to YCbCr? I guess I’m just not understanding the whole color format and the bit accuracy for patterns displayed and how to get the most accurate color bit pattern to calibrate with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 405 Old 05-22-2020, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked: 1545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhall2018 View Post
I see ColorMunki listed as a reference meter to profile in the Calman meter profile walkthrough. That don’t make the ColorMunki anymore but they have i1 Studio as the replacement on xrite website. Calman also lists as a supported meter. At the price point of around $500 compared to a i1 pro for $1500 would this work to profile my i1 display pro for QLED display.

I’m in the process of getting a rpi 3 b+ to run pGenerator. Does anyone have any info on how to set this up other than on the LightSpace page telling me how to install it on rpi. I see posts that mention only RGB being bit accurate. Do I need to run a command to set this option on the rpi? And how about the tv? Will it automatically choose the color format it will be outputting based on input. Will it convert to YCbCr? I guess I’m just not understanding the whole color format and the bit accuracy for patterns displayed and how to get the most accurate color bit pattern to calibrate with.
There isn't much info on running the PGen except what you've already found. There is an Italian article referenced in the RPi area of the LightIllusion forums, and you can read it with translation by Google. With CalMAN, you'll use the Unified Pattern Generator option under "source". The PGenerator default resolution is 1080p24 and RGB Full. You'll use the settings in CalMAN to modify the range between 0-255 and 16-235 as necessary. The display should automatically change based on input and won't change that to YCbCr.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #395 of 405 Old 05-22-2020, 01:08 PM

Thank you for the clarification!
post #396 of 405 Old 05-24-2020, 06:09 AM

Does calman support the i1 pro 3? I see i1 pro 2 listed. The 3 is cheaper and an upgrade however that might not matter from a display calibration stand point.
post #397 of 405 Old 05-24-2020, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Does calman support the i1 pro 3? I see i1 pro 2 listed. The 3 is cheaper and an upgrade however that might not matter from a display calibration stand point.
The 2020 Beta info says "Added support for X-Rite i1Pro3 (Ultimate, Studio, Video Pro)". Which I guess means Home users are SOL.
post #398 of 405 Old 05-24-2020, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The differences in the Pro3 are aimed at desktop publishing and materials color measurement, not display calibration. For that purpose it's essentially a Pro2.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #399 of 405 Old 05-24-2020, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The differences in the Pro3 are aimed at desktop publishing and materials color measurement, not display calibration. For that purpose it's essentially a Pro2.
Supporting 5000 nits vs 1200 nits seems like an upgrade.
post #400 of 405 Old 05-24-2020, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
Supporting 5000 nits vs 1200 nits seems like an upgrade.
IMHO, it really isn't much of one at the current time. It doesn't have any more accuracy than the Pro2, and no better low end performance. How many displays do over 1200 nits right now? Most of its improvements have to do with the reading of color patches.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #401 of 405 Old 05-24-2020, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How many displays do over 1200 nits right now?
All of the recent high-end Samsung QLEDs do, routinely. And for an interesting bit, read this post.
post #402 of 405 Old 05-24-2020, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
All of the recent high-end Samsung QLEDs do, routinely. And for an interesting bit, read this post.
You can still use the i1Pro2 to profile a 2000 nit meter. Did a nice job for my i1D3.
Rolls-Royce likes this.

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, Pioneer UDP-LX500, Outlaw 975, Sony TA-N9000ES
i!Display Plus, VideoForge Pro, CalMAN Home Enthusiast, Win 10 Pro x64 2004
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v22.0.0 - 1/8/2020
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
post #403 of 405 Old 05-29-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
With the latest firmware and Calman 2020, You will be able to connect to the TV using an IP connection. We are a few weeks away from the public release of Calman 2020.
Any further updates on when we can expect the release? Interested about the IP control. When you say latest firmware you mean the current firmware version or Samsung will need an update to allow control. And if I purchased the 2019 R3 recently I will receive a year of free updates correct? So I will be set for this update?
post #404 of 405 Old Today, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
FYI, I've been informed by PD Sales just now that the i1Pro 3 is supported in Home editions in the 2020 RC1 that came out today.
post #405 of 405 Old Today, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Any further updates on when we can expect the release?
In case you didn't see it elsewhere, 2020 RC1 is public and available for download today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page