CalMAN Home for Samsung - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #211 of 225 Old 09-07-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I use this from Amazon:
SF Cable, DB9 Female to 3.5mm Serial Cable-6 Feet
FTDI - US232R-10-BST - MOD, USB-SERIAL RS232 W/CABLE, 10CM

This combination will give you usb to 3.5 mm that plugs into the Samsung OCB. For your set maybe you can put something together using these cables and another adaptor.
John, the NU-series aren't in the Autocal list on the CalMAN Home for Samsung "Specifications" page at the Portrait Displays website. It isn't a QLED set, which Autocal on later Samsung models is restricted to.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 225 Old 09-07-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3123 Post(s)
Liked: 3865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Its better idea before searching more, to contact CalMAN and ask if that TV model can receive/understand DDC commands. If the API of the TV is not capable for these commands, then you will not able to do any AutoCAL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I use this from Amazon:
SF Cable, DB9 Female to 3.5mm Serial Cable-6 Feet
FTDI - US232R-10-BST - MOD, USB-SERIAL RS232 W/CABLE, 10CM

This combination will give you usb to 3.5 mm that plugs into the Samsung OCB. For your set maybe you can put something together using these cables and another adaptor.
Have you tested if it will work the specific model the user want to AutoCAL with CalMAN?

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #213 of 225 Old 09-07-2019, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Have you tested if it will work the specific model the user want to AutoCAL with CalMAN?
Autocal is supposed to work with models down to Samsung 2015 SUHD. I tried various combinations of cables and own the ones suggested in this thread and doesn't work. Here are some specifics on cables that I tried (second section) and it didn't work either: Link

These adapters can be bought by installer or dealers only. Maybe the Calman folks can help locate this adapter? I'm using the videoforge pro and the latest calman with samsung workflow.

Last edited by neogeosnk; 09-07-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 225 Old 09-07-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3123 Post(s)
Liked: 3865
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeosnk View Post
Autocal is supposed to work with models down to Samsung 2015 SUHD. I tried various combinations of cables and own the ones suggested in this thread and doesn't work. Here are some specifics on cables that I tried (second section) and it didn't work either: Link

These adapters can be bought by installer or dealers only. Maybe the Calman folks can help locate this adapter? I'm using the videoforge pro and the latest calman with samsung workflow.
For 'some' of 2015 models may work.

The methods of connecting via various ways a TV with a PC (via RS-232 or jack etc.) is already used for at least 10 years with Samsung (to send general commands), the most important detail for a TV to do DDC is that the TV API to be able to understand the commands can be send via RS-232 to change display controls.

So asking CalMAN they will tell if your TV model has that capability, if it has, then you can search for any special adapter/cable to make it work.

Now you are trying to find the adapter without first to confirm that your model has DDC capabilities.

The high-end models only AFIK had that capability.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 09-07-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #215 of 225 Old 09-07-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeosnk View Post

Nope. Not all Samsungs. The 2015 and 2016 SUHD models supported - like my KS8000 - are Quantum Dot, just like the 2017, 2018, and 2019 QLEDs, and not all of those are supported. In fact, the 2018 Q7FN, a QLED, isn't. Just the Q8 and Q9 from that year.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #216 of 225 Old 09-12-2019, 02:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hi Tyler @WiFi-Spy

Can you kindly confirm that for QLED meter profiling, the Display type setting should be Raw XYZ and not one of the other options in the dropdown type (eg LCD/LED etc) please?

Thanks
post #217 of 225 Old 09-18-2019, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Why does HDR Autocal in R2 RC1 no longer have a Grayscale Multipoint step for the Q90R?!?
post #218 of 225 Old 09-19-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
Why does HDR Autocal in R2 RC1 no longer have a Grayscale Multipoint step for the Q90R?!?

Due to panel variability across various configurations of the QLED based TVs, the factory baseline EOTF settings can change the point alignment by model and panel size.

Samsung 2019 QLED HDR calibration support has been updated to add in EOTF matching and remove MultiPoint Grayscale because of the variability.

A combination of EOTF matching and a 2pt white balance produce excellent results across the range of supported 2019 QLED TVs and can be achieved quickly.
jrref and tonyjspr9 like this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #219 of 225 Old 09-19-2019, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Due to panel variability across various configurations of the QLED based TVs, the factory baseline EOTF settings can change the point alignment by model and panel size.

Samsung 2019 QLED HDR calibration support has been updated to add in EOTF matching and remove MultiPoint Grayscale because of the variability.

A combination of EOTF matching and a 2pt white balance produce excellent results across the range of supported 2019 QLED TVs and can be achieved quickly.
An unsatisfactory decision, from my perspective. Please restore the functionality, and let us decide if use of it helps or not.
post #220 of 225 Old 09-19-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
An unsatisfactory decision, from my perspective. Please restore the functionality, and let us decide if use of it helps or not.
You can use the generic HDR Calibration workflow if you would like to try the option of autocal HDR multipoint.

post #221 of 225 Old 09-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You can use the generic HDR Calibration workflow if you would like to try the option of autocal HDR multipoint.
Can you explain how? When I'm in the Manual HDR workflow, DDC connected to my Q90R, and go to Grayscale Multipoint, there is no option in the drop-down for selecting the DDC-specific adjustment points, and the Autocal button is grayed out. There's no other calibration workflow in Home for Samsung.
post #222 of 225 Old 09-19-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can you explain how? When I'm in the Manual HDR workflow, DDC connected to my Q90R, and go to Grayscale Multipoint, there is no option in the drop-down for selecting the DDC-specific adjustment points, and the Autocal button is grayed out. There's no other calibration workflow in Home for Samsung.
if you hit the "A" key on the keyboard it will trigger autocal for that page in the workflow. I will have the AutoCal button fixed in the first beta of CalMAN 2019 R3.

post #223 of 225 Old 09-19-2019, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
if you hit the "A" key on the keyboard it will trigger autocal for that page in the workflow. I will have the AutoCal button fixed in the first beta of CalMAN 2019 R3.
OK, thank you, and that would be fine, except the HDR adjustment points baked into RC1 do not match the current firmware for the Q90R. PD support discovered this during the Beta, but apparently it didn't get fixed. I hope this gets fixed for R2 and doesn't have to wait for R3, because it's useless as is. (Shame on Samsung for not giving you a way to DDC-query these values.) (Yes, I've submitted feedback.)
post #224 of 225 Old 09-20-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, thank you, and that would be fine, except the HDR adjustment points baked into RC1 do not match the current firmware for the Q90R. PD support discovered this during the Beta, but apparently it didn't get fixed. I hope this gets fixed for R2 and doesn't have to wait for R3, because it's useless as is. (Shame on Samsung for not giving you a way to DDC-query these values.) (Yes, I've submitted feedback.)

This is the exact reason we decided to change strategy for HDR calibration on the 2019 TVs. Different panel sizes of the same model have different alignment. Also, it required lowering peak luminance, which was undesirable for most users based on feedback.

post #225 of 225 Old 09-20-2019, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This is the exact reason we decided to change strategy for HDR calibration on the 2019 TVs. Different panel sizes of the same model have different alignment. Also, it required lowering peak luminance, which was undesirable for most users based on feedback.
Meaning it won't get fixed? Supporting a few extra alignments seems pretty simple to me. And having successfully used the grayscale multipoint Autocal in the Beta, it didn't require lowering peak luminance on my 75" Q90R, it only required lowering Contrast, just as your new Autocal workflow does. (To work around the problem in the Beta I had to DDC connect as if to an 8K model, but unfortunately that doesn't work in RC1, so I suspect the adjustment points are now also broken for 8K sets.) What panel size are the RC1 adjustment points for?

Last edited by thoth; 09-20-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page