Calman Home for Sony 2019 - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 328Likes

post #961 of 990 Old 02-14-2020, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Hi @shoman94 ,
I have a question on this particular topic of the best match for the i1 display pro. If someone who owns one of these TVs(like you for example) have profiled it against a spectro you must have a file that has that information. If that file could be used by someone else without breaking any law, is that a better fit than just going with the xyz raw or blue LED etc? Or, will the panel variance a bigger factor that you are better off using one of the built in ones like xyz raw?

I am not sure about it but my feeling was that if you have a file that should be closer than the generic profiles unless you have specific EDR files.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 990 Old 02-14-2020, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post
Hi @shoman94 ,
I have a question on this particular topic of the best match for the i1 display pro. If someone who owns one of these TVs(like you for example) have profiled it against a spectro you must have a file that has that information. If that file could be used by someone else without breaking any law, is that a better fit than just going with the xyz raw or blue LED etc? Or, will the panel variance a bigger factor that you are better off using one of the built in ones like xyz raw?

I am not sure about it but my feeling was that if you have a file that should be closer than the generic profiles unless you have specific EDR files.
I can't speak for your TV but my AF9 OLED calibration was massively improved by using the lightspace EDR OLED over xyz raw. By eye I mean. Of course I have no idea how much more accurate it technically is, but skin tones in particular look bang on now.
post #963 of 990 Old 02-14-2020, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Allen View Post
I can't speak for your TV but my AF9 OLED calibration was massively improved by using the lightspace EDR OLED over xyz raw. By eye I mean. Of course I have no idea how much more accurate it technically is, but skin tones in particular look bang on now.
Fair enough. Obviously, EDR files are created with the top of the line spectros. In the absence of those, I think the files may be more useful than just using Raw XYZ. I wasn't asking for myself. I do have an iPro 2 and ID3. I was wondering if the files created would be useful for others. By the way, I have the X950G model.
shoman94 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 990 Old 02-14-2020, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Hi @shoman94 ,

If you're talking CalMAN, those files are stored by meter serial number and appear to be encrypted. If not, at least they are no longer in a readable text format as they were once. All profiles built for that specific numbered meter are contained in the single file as well.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #965 of 990 Old 02-14-2020, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
If you're talking CalMAN, those files are stored by meter serial number and appear to be encrypted. If not, at least they are no longer in a readable text format as they were once. All profiles built for that specific numbered meter are contained in the single file as well.
Thank you Rolls-Royce for that clarification. Does that mean that it will only work with that meter(even if copied)? In that case, it is locked to the meter and that is the end of my question. I was wondering if there is a way to help others who have the same model TV and don't have access to a spectro to profile the meter.
post #966 of 990 Old 02-14-2020, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you Rolls-Royce for that clarification. Does that mean that it will only work with that meter(even if copied)? In that case, it is locked to the meter and that is the end of my question. I was wondering if there is a way to help others who have the same model TV and don't have access to a spectro to profile the meter.
Changing its filename to the serial number of the different meter once it has been added to the recipient's CalMAN installation MAY work (the name for each file is the serial number of the meter it was created for), but no guarantees.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #967 of 990 Old 02-14-2020, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Changing its filename to the serial number of the different meter once it has been added to the recipient's CalMAN installation MAY work (the name for each file is the serial number of the meter it was created for), but no guarantees.
Thanks and it is a good idea, worth testing.
post #968 of 990 Old 02-14-2020, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks and it is a good idea, worth testing.
Do keep in mind that a profile created for YOUR meter, on YOUR display, may have the same issues with accuracy as an EDR depending on the new devices and so has the potential to be no better, possibly even worse.
WiFi-Spy and jrref like this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #969 of 990 Old 02-14-2020, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5446 Post(s)
Liked: 3736
Quote:
Hi @shoman94 ,

Yes you could do that. While yes there is a panel variance, you're better off to use a like panel offset than the generic EDRs built in unless you of course get the C6 colorimeters from Calman which have custom panel specific EDRs.
No you would not be breaking any laws.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

Last edited by shoman94; 02-14-2020 at 07:41 PM.
post #970 of 990 Old 02-14-2020, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think that is true. My understanding is one could share the profile. I could be wrong.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

Last edited by shoman94; 02-14-2020 at 07:40 PM.
post #971 of 990 Old 02-14-2020, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do keep in mind that a profile created for YOUR meter, on YOUR display, may have the same issues with accuracy as an EDR depending on the new devices and so has the potential to be no better, possibly even worse.
Of course

Last edited by shoman94; 02-14-2020 at 07:39 PM.
post #972 of 990 Old 02-14-2020, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Yes you could do that. While yes there is a panel variance, you're better off to use a like panel offset than the generic EDRs built in unless you of course get the C6 colorimeters from Calman which have custom panel specific EDRs.
No you would be breaking any laws.

Thanks. I will look into it and see what is required and whether it is encrypted etc.
post #973 of 990 Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 318
So, months and months have gone by since I purchased the initial (inisial for you weirdos) release of Calman Home for Sony. My first attempts at connecting and calibrating were a complete failure, the app would never connect to the program, and manual calibration was extremely limited (2.2 SDR manual only) and results were horrible. Fast forward to todayt...just ordered a new Sony X950H, and thought I would blow out my old settings on the X900F and see if I could get the software to work...the newer version that is, R3.

Downloaded, actually suprised it let me install as I saw warnings about my purchase date beiung before the cut off for updating...regardless, it installed. lots of new options, all the optionms I expected in the initial release, including BT.1886, PQ HDR, and amazingly, HLG. I reinstalled the Bravia Calman app on the TV, and everything just worked out of the box....almost. The DCC reset did not work properly. I did it the first time, and it only reset most of the picture profile settings, leaving all my old 2 point bias and gain, and enabling medium local dimming for some reason. After a full calibration with horrendous results (1.8dE greyscale), I reset those manually after another DCC reset, ran through AutoCal, and success, a pretty calibration (0.3dE greyscale/0.8dE color) about as worthy as one I would spend 85% of the time I normally do in HCFR. I can now change my recommendation from "die evil software die!", to "this is pretty cool, you should buy it for $145USD".

Strangely enough, I see that autocal only performs a 10 point, the 2 point bias and gains are all left at default...I can understand this simpifies allowing the color to transfer to other picture modes without having to manually enter the bias and gain for each one, but still...weird.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yay.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	541.9 KB
ID:	2685080  

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #974 of 990 Old Yesterday, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I take back my unabached praise for the software...after the two successful runs, the Client 3 pattern genrator failed as it did with the first version of Calman Home...it gets a few boxes off, then it starts taking readings off of the Calman graph screen and fails out. I am deducting one star from my review. :-|

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552

Last edited by Anderegg; Yesterday at 05:16 AM.
post #975 of 990 Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 11915 Post(s)
Liked: 7088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post

Strangely enough, I see that autocal only performs a 10 point, the 2 point bias and gains are all left at default...I can understand this simpifies allowing the color to transfer to other picture modes without having to manually enter the bias and gain for each one, but still...weird.

Paul
The Autocal by design doesn’t touch the two-point settings. And if there are already settings for the two-point, DDC doesn’t reset them to defaults.

So, you have two choices—either reset the two-point to defaults manually before running the Autocal, or run a manual two-point calibration. A number of us here will manually calibrate the two-point first because the Autocal results are typically more precise after doing so. The recommendation is to calibrate the gain only, and leave the bias at default values.
post #976 of 990 Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I take back my unabached praise for the software...after the two successful runs, the Client 3 pattern genrator failed as it did with the first version of Calman Home...it gets a few boxes off, then it starts taking readings off of the Calman graph screen and fails out. I am deducting one star from my review. :-|

Paul
What are you using client 3 on? Are you running Calman on one PC and then client3 on another a connecting it to the TV?

post #977 of 990 Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
What are you using client 3 on? Are you running Calman on one PC and then client3 on another a connecting it to the TV?

Ah, good advice Austin...can I swap picture modes after DCC reset, maybe color temp screen as well, would Calman just start changing settings without realizing it was not in custom any longer?

I am running Client 3 on the same PC as Calman Home...I tried the dual screen approach, but my crap 1080p PC monitor on the other side of the room insists on being Display 1, because it is jacked into the Display Port out of my GTX 1080 Ti, and HDMI to the target TV will always change to DIsplay 2, cannot figure out how to resolve that other than to mirror displays or just do it all on the TV.

I am currently installing Calman and Client on a second Windows 10 PC connected to the TV...going to try to send targets to Client from the Windows 10 PC and if that fails just run Calman and Client from the WINDOWS 7 htpc.

Paul

post #978 of 990 Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah, good advice Austin...can I swap picture modes after DCC reset, maybe color temp screen as well, would Calman just start changing settings without realizing it was not in custom any longer?

I am running Client 3 on the same PC as Calman Home...I tried the dual screen approach, but my crap 1080p PC monitor on the other side of the room insists on being Display 1, because it is jacked into the Display Port out of my GTX 1080 Ti, and HDMI to the target TV will always change to DIsplay 2, cannot figure out how to resolve that other than to mirror displays or just do it all on the TV.

I am currently installing Calman and Client on a second Windows 10 PC connected to the TV...going to try to send targets to Client from the Windows 10 PC and if that fails just run Calman and Client from the WINDOWS 7 htpc.

Paul
So what I'm trying to elude to is that you don't need client 3 when you are using the same PC for running Calman and generating the patterns. You use the HDMI out to the TV. Place the laptop in extended desktop mode and run everything direct without using client 3.
You want display 1 for running Calman. Display 2 is your TV running the patterns. You don't want anything on the screen other than the patterns.

Last edited by shoman94; Yesterday at 09:02 AM.
post #979 of 990 Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Unfortunately, I cannot get Display 1 on my target, just the way my card is handling outputs...Client 3 is conmtinuously crashing rem,otely at the same spot it crashes when run on the same machine. I did not realize that there is a built in pattern generator for Calman, in reading up on it prior to purchase, they make it sound like Client 3 is the default generator. Doh. Trying built in patterns now on same machine.

Paul
shoman94 likes this.

post #980 of 990 Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got through one lumnance and greyscale with the "source" box...I have to open it manually and osition it and leave it there, didn't realize that. Got to the validate sweep and it takes one reading then says Patterb Auto Sense Timeout, and the process ends there. tried rebooting everything, no dice. The only thing that works for the "source" is autocal, I can't get it to do "series" readings, so that stops the process. Advice?

EDIT: Must change the source to Client 3 to use series reading for validation following AutoCal with "source". And the Client 3 is working again for AutoCal...ugh.

So, on topics other than "my stpid thing isn't working right"....

Is there a list of monitor types other than the default LCD (LED Blue Green LED)? I have an X900F and soon an X950H.

Paul

Last edited by Anderegg; Yesterday at 10:19 AM.
post #981 of 990 Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I got through one lumnance and greyscale with the "source" box...I have to open it manually and osition it and leave it there, didn't realize that. Got to the validate sweep and it takes one reading then says Patterb Auto Sense Timeout, and the process ends there. tried rebooting everything, no dice. The only thing that works for the "source" is autocal, I can't get it to do "series" readings, so that stops the process. Advice?

EDIT: Must change the source to Client 3 to use series reading for validation following AutoCal with "source". And the Client 3 is working again for AutoCal...ugh.

So, on topics other than "my stpid thing isn't working right"....

Is there a list of monitor types other than the default LCD (LED Blue Green LED)? I have an X900F and soon an X950H.

Paul
You don't use client 3 at all, you open the pattern window, drag it to the TV, then hit maximize.

There is no need to have any of the pattern boxes checked.... Like auto sense and such.

Yes if you are using the i1 display pro then use LED (Green Blue).

post #982 of 990 Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You don't use client 3 at all, you open the pattern window, drag it to the TV, then hit maximize.

There is no need to have any of the pattern boxes checked.... Like auto sense and such.

Yes if you are using the i1 display pro then use LED (Green Blue).

My Calman is all over the place, now Client 3 is the only way to run AutoCal on the same display the PC is on...I won't say my software is working, just that it managed to work long enough to get through a sweep an get my new AutoCal numbers. At least now when my new Sony arrives in 5 days I will have the process down, and have padded a wall to bang my head against in advance.

Thank you guys for the advice on doing a manual 2 point prior to AutoCal, I will make sure I do so on the new TV. LED Blue Green, CHECK!

Paul

post #983 of 990 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 11915 Post(s)
Liked: 7088
Quote:
My Calman is all over the place, now Client 3 is the only way to run AutoCal on the same display the PC is on...I won't say my software is working, just that it managed to work long enough to get through a sweep an get my new AutoCal numbers. At least now when my new Sony arrives in 5 days I will have the process down, and have padded a wall to bang my head against in advance.

Thank you guys for the advice on doing a manual 2 point prior to AutoCal, I will make sure I do so on the new TV. LED Blue Green, CHECK!

Paul
Something is still wrong. To generate patterns from your laptop over HDMI to the TV, you need a Windows laptop with Intel graphics. How to configure the PC is documented here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/irr2hdfgqs...terns.pdf?dl=1

Steps:

- Launch CalMAN on the laptop.
- Install "CalMAN for Bravia" on the TV.
- Connect CalMAN on the laptop to the TV by entering the TV's IP address.
- On the PC, open the pattern window, drag it to Display 2 (the TV), and maximize it.
- Run the Autocal, select a picture mode and memory location, and do the DDC reset.
- Proceed until the Autocal has completed.

I am sure you have already reviewed and followed these guides:

http://sonyglobal.akamaized.net/is/c...ith.CalMAN.pdf

https://kb.portrait.com/help/calman-...ny-walkthrough
shoman94 likes this.
post #984 of 990 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Something is still wrong. To generate patterns from your laptop over HDMI to the TV, you need a Windows laptop with Intel graphics. How to configure the PC is documented here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/irr2hdfgqs...terns.pdf?dl=1

Steps:

- Launch CalMAN on the laptop.
- Install "CalMAN for Bravia" on the TV.
- Connect CalMAN on the laptop to the TV by entering the TV's IP address.
- On the PC, open the pattern window, drag it to Display 2 (the TV), and maximize it.
- Run the Autocal, select a picture mode and memory location, and do the DDC reset.
- Proceed until the Autocal has completed.

I am sure you have already reviewed and followed these guides:

http://sonyglobal.akamaized.net/is/c...ith.CalMAN.pdf

https://kb.portrait.com/help/calman-...ny-walkthrough
My primary TV signal source is my HTPC, set to 8 bit RBG FULL and TV set to limited. I use a second PC for Windows gaming in HDR, and both PC's use Nvidia graphics cards. I noted a variance in black and resulting gamma when calibrating using the Intel GPU previously, and since I use the Nvidia fo playback on both, I always calbrated through them as well. The problem with Client 3 on both my PC's is that it crashes...on Win 10 it just stops working, on Win 7 it throws a stopped working checking for solutions dialog. Like I said, I can get it to work "eventually", but inconsistentaly, like trying to start a flooded car engine...if you are old enough to understand that reference.

Thank you for the PDF, have seen online stuff, but not that comprehensive walkthrough.

Is it possible to AutoCal HDR with no additional hardware, maybe using MadVR as the pattern generator?

Paul

Last edited by Anderegg; Yesterday at 11:55 AM.
post #985 of 990 Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Paul
I would possibly wait to see if the new panels are indeed LED (Blue Green) I read in another thread on this forum board that Sony may have gone with a new panel for the 2020 models. But then again, I still don't actually know 100% if the X950G is actually LED (Blue Green) :shrug:
post #986 of 990 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby5 View Post
I would possibly wait to see if the new panels are indeed LED (Blue Green) I read in another thread on this forum board that Sony may have gone with a new panel for the 2020 models. But then again, I still don't actually know 100% if the X950G is actually LED (Blue Green) :shrug:
Is there a way to tell, visually, magnifying glass, what type a panel a TV has?

Paul

post #987 of 990 Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Is the conventional wisdom that ATI graphics aren't suitable for calibration based on recent testing for current hardware/drivers or is that data outdated? Let's assume RGB Full 4:4:4 output for the sake of this discussion.
post #988 of 990 Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
Is the conventional wisdom that ATI graphics aren't suitable for calibration based on recent testing for current hardware/drivers or is that data outdated? Let's assume RGB Full 4:4:4 output for the sake of this discussion.

It will probably work fine for this, but it probably will not work for Dolby Vision on an LG or Vizio TV.
shoman94 likes this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #989 of 990 Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby5 View Post
Unless they go Quantum Dot it will be PFS Phosphor as they have been using.

post #990 of 990 Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there a way to tell, visually, magnifying glass, what type a panel a TV has?

Paul
It's typically done by doing a spectrum analysis using a Spectrophotometer.

Last edited by shoman94; Yesterday at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page