post #391 of 411 Old 08-03-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdove View Post
Rolls-Royce, I understand that meter profiling is a distinct step invoked under the meter tab.

So if I am doing an LG autocal from an uncalibrated factory reset expert dark configuration (gamut:auto, gamma bt.1886) first I connect to the LG internal pattern generator IP address (192.168.0.246 in my case).

Then I profile the i1display pro meter primaries for the first time (using a recently initialized i1 pro spectrophotometer) based on where the primaries are for uncalibrated expert dark mode. This happens before I connect to the LG DDC ip address (192.186.0.202 in my case).

Then I execute the measurements on the pre-calibration page.

Once that page is done I connect to the LG DDC ip address which switches the gamut to wide and the gamma to 2.2 then I do a ddc reset. This changes the primaries chroma and intensity.

Then I enable calibration and adjust the peak luminance level which again changes then primaries intensity.

Then I profile the i1display to the new chroma and intensity shifted primaries.

Then I do a multi-point grayscale (1dlut) autocal and then a colorspace (3dlut) autocal using all de_itp error metrics.

(Are we sure that the primaries are not moving around during the autocal process and invalidating the meter profile? Perhaps they don’t move since from my experiments the Color Management System primary adjustments have no effect on the colors produced by the TV’s internal generator. Thus the CMS software must be earlier in the processing chain than the LUTs)

Finally I do a dynamic range/clipping with peak white check and disable calibration mode.

Lastly I run the post-calibration check.

Is this correct?
You will want to profile your meter after manually setting the TV's color gamut to Wide, as that is what the autocalibration will set it to for its work. The same meter profile will also be good for both SDR and HDR.

To answer your question about a Saturations page: I don't have CalMAN Home for LG, but the old Enthusiast license. I do have an LG SDR Autocal workflow, and assuming it is the same as in Home for LG, go to the small arrow on the left side of the window next to the "History1" tab. Click it, and you will see a list of the pages in the workflow. Mine has a "Verify Saturations" page down close to the bottom of the list. If you have that, it's what you're looking for. If none of your workflow pages mention saturations, you may be out of luck.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 411 Old 08-04-2019, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Do you have dynamic tone mapping turned off? It needs to be for these custom tone curves to work.
Question: I did my C9 AutoCalibrations and it seems that the DDC reset didn't turn off the dynamic tone mapping when I calibrated for HDR (and custom tone mapping). If I turn off dynamic tone mapping after the calibration would the custom tome mapping work as calibrated or should I re-run calibrations and make sure dynamic tone mapping is off before I start calibrations?
post #393 of 411 Old 08-05-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked: 5373
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennNYC View Post
Question: I did my C9 AutoCalibrations and it seems that the DDC reset didn't turn off the dynamic tone mapping when I calibrated for HDR (and custom tone mapping). If I turn off dynamic tone mapping after the calibration would the custom tome mapping work as calibrated or should I re-run calibrations and make sure dynamic tone mapping is off before I start calibrations?
I've seen very little difference calibrating with it on/off but if you want to make sure, turn it off and re-calibrate HDR.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 411 Old 08-05-2019, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I've seen very little difference calibrating with it on/off but if you want to make sure, turn it off and re-calibrate HDR.
Hi Jreff, my panel almost reach 800 nits when not calibrated on hdr mode why when calibrated i am around 700 nits only?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
post #395 of 411 Old 08-05-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto84 View Post
Hi Jreff, my panel almost reach 800 nits when not calibrated on hdr mode why when calibrated i am around 700 nits only?

Because when you click DDC Reset in CalMAN it puts the panel in 10K native mode where you are reading in the 800 nit range. This is why the panel has a cool blue tint. When you calibrate the panel back to D65 (6500) or any custom white point, you get around a 15% reduction in brightness as per LG. In my experience this brightness reduction varies from panel to panel.

John
post #396 of 411 Old 08-05-2019, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Calibration for LG C9 w/CalMAN Home for LG

Hi All,

Just after some advice. I have a LG 65C9 screen and looking to purchase CalMAN Home for LG, use TV built in pattern generator and either:

X-Rite i1 Display colorimeter OEM
X-Rite i1 Pro
Spider X Pro
Spider X Elite

This page lists the X-Rite models however not the Spyder X but previous version: “Spyder 5”. https://calmankb.groovehq.com/help/meter-guides

Any suggestions which is best?
post #397 of 411 Old 08-05-2019, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Because when you click DDC Reset in CalMAN it puts the panel in 10K native mode where you are reading in the 800 nit range. This is why the panel has a cool blue tint. When you calibrate the panel back to D65 (6500) or any custom white point, you get around a 15% reduction in brightness as per LG. In my experience this brightness reduction varies from panel to panel.
Thanks Jreff, anyways to work around that?

post #398 of 411 Old 08-05-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto84 View Post
Thanks Jreff, anyways to work around that?

No
Toto84 likes this.

John
post #399 of 411 Old 08-05-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMar View Post
Hi All,

Just after some advice. I have a LG 65C9 screen and looking to purchase CalMAN Home for LG, use TV built in pattern generator and either:

X-Rite i1 Pro
Spider X Pro
Spider X Elite

This page lists the X-Rite models however not the Spyder X but previous version: “Spyder 5”. https://calmankb.groovehq.com/help/meter-guides

I just got an LG 65C9 and am also planning to purchase CalMAN Home for LG, use the TV's built-in pattern generator, and buy a meter. I'm also curious which meter is best. I'm also wondering if there would be any worthwhile advantage to the SpectraCal® C6 HDR2000.

I have manual calibrated a Sony KDS-60A3000 with an X-rite eye-one display LT which I purchased. Unfortunately when I went back to re-calibrate a couple of years later after replacing a lamp on the TV, I found the meter had significantly drifted (to where large settings changes would be needed to correct the grayscale settings resulting in obviously incorrect grayscale). This occurred despite my attempt to store the meter in a dark and temperature stable environment. I do still have the meter but I suspect it is unusable now. I did find it discouraging to only get one good calibration out of the meter purchase. I don't plan to calibrate using the meter more than once a year, but I don't want to have to buy a new meter every time I calibrate.
post #400 of 411 Old 08-05-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I just got an LG 65C9 and am also planning to purchase CalMAN Home for LG, use the TV's built-in pattern generator, and buy a meter. I'm also curious which meter is best. I'm also wondering if there would be any worthwhile advantage to the SpectraCal C6 HDR2000.

I have manual calibrated a Sony KDS-60A3000 with an X-rite eye-one display LT which I purchased. Unfortunately when I went back to re-calibrate a couple of years later after replacing a lamp on the TV, I found the meter had significantly drifted (to where large settings changes would be needed to correct the grayscale settings resulting in obviously incorrect grayscale). This occurred despite my attempt to store the meter in a dark and temperature stable environment. I do still have the meter but I suspect it is unusable now. I did find it discouraging to only get one good calibration out of the meter purchase. I don't plan to calibrate using the meter more than once a year, but I don't want to have to buy a new meter every time I calibrate.

The i1 display pro and C6 Have glass dichroic filters so they age overtime much slower compared to older colorimeters.
KC-Technerd likes this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #401 of 411 Old 08-05-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMar View Post
Hi All,

X-Rite i1 Pro
Spider X Pro
Spider X Elite

I1 Display Pro OEM. You get better speed than the I1 Pro (which is a spectrophotometer), especially at low luminance levels. It can also read maximum luminance to 2000 nits. The Spyders have good low luminance sensitivity but not so much for color readings as per Tom Huffman of ChromaPure, who recently tested one. The Spyders have also historically suffered from greater meter-to-meter deviation than the I1 Display Pro.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #402 of 411 Old 08-08-2019, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
@WiFi-Spy when can we expect custom hdr tone curve?
post #403 of 411 Old 08-08-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_bcc View Post
@WiFi-Spy when can we expect custom hdr tone curve?

Are you talking about a tutorial video?

post #404 of 411 Old 08-08-2019, 09:25 AM

Yes, or maybe you just point me to some walkthrough.
post #405 of 411 Old 08-09-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_bcc View Post
Yes, or maybe you just point me to some walkthrough.

I have a explanation video showing the HDR tone curve adjustment and verification, But the verification part only applies if you are using an external pattern generator.

If you want I can send you a link to it.

post #406 of 411 Old 08-09-2019, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
If you could send a link for me as well I’d appreciate it!
post #407 of 411 Old 08-12-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I'm calibrating SDR on a C8 using Client 3 pattern generator. In the Greyscale Multipoint, I'm only seeing 8bit instead of 10bit as shown in the tutorial videos. Is that because of the graphic card output? Will I get 10bit if I run the mobileforge pattern generator from a 4K firestick or from a samsung s8 via hdmi adapter?

Additionally, my results are .9 avg and max 2.6 with a lightning lut. Any advice on how I can get better results?

Thank you so much for your advice!

Last edited by residentjack; 08-12-2019 at 07:12 AM.
post #408 of 411 Old 08-12-2019, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does the integral 2 flat out not work at all with Calman Home or just doesnt work with AutoCal?

Without dropping 1.5k on a VFP do we have any alternatives for HDR TPGs or we just plain outta luck?
post #409 of 411 Old 08-12-2019, 01:36 PM

Hdfury works just fine you just have to manually change string.
mdamien likes this.
post #410 of 411 Old 08-12-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ah, that is quite okay with me. I plan on calibrating via HDMI out of my x1 carbon so I was worried I was assed out when I had purchased one for the explicit purposes of calibrating HDR.
post #411 of 411 Old 08-14-2019, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What are the correct settings in calman for the purpose of calibrating HDR with madVR? I'm using an integral btw.

Edit: Nevermind I got it to work.

Last edited by Guz911; 08-14-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration