CalMAN Home for LG - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

post #421 of 488 Old 09-06-2019, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi, quick question. I have a C9 connected to my PC which is displaying RGB Full (0-255)
So my concern is, why does the tutorial suggest I calibrate 16-255? Shouldn't I be changing Luminance Levels to 0-255 under Workflow Basic Options?

Also I'd just like to confirm that Raw XYZ instead of OLED is correct for my i1Display Retail sensor.

Edit: One more question... When I'm calibrating HDR, I select the OLED HDR preset and the default gamma formula says ST 2084 HDR (PQ) as expected but then when I check under the settings, gamma is set to power 2.2 and the colorspace is 2020 SDR not 2020 HDR... I don't understand why those settings don't match. In your video you left it like that, so I did too but it doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for your support, Tyler/others.

LG 55EF9500 OLED

Last edited by LuckyX2; 09-06-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 488 Old 09-07-2019, 03:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
Also I'd just like to confirm that Raw XYZ instead of OLED is correct for my i1Display Retail sensor.
You should say it's the least inaccurate mode CalMAN provides without using a spectro. Which doesn't mean the results of it have to be good ...
See discussion here and here.

Bottom line is that there would be an EDR file for LG WRGB OLEDs but Portrait Displays either doesn't know of it or they don't want to include it in CalMAN.
The answer I got from them was:
Quote:
For the meter mode, CalMAN does not add additional profiles that are not included in the meter itself. My recommendation would be to give X-Rite the feedback regarding the needed mode, as W-OLEDs are becoming much more popular.
Make73 and cremor like this.
post #423 of 488 Old 09-07-2019, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi4Vision View Post
Bottom line is that there would be an EDR file for LG WRGB OLEDs but Portrait Displays either doesn't know of it or they don't want to include it in CalMAN.
Portrait Displays as X-Rites partner is hard to believe they don´t know about FSI_XM55U_23Jan19.edr (attachment).

Paying 145$ for somekind of compromise is not for me if there is option to get it more accurate.
When you add that latest .edr file (2018 LG WRGB OLED) also for i1 Display Pro meters, then I´m ready to launch order button.
Before that I`ll stay manual calibration with HCFR and 3x3 matrix which is made with LightSpace where you can find that spectral correction.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FSI_XM55U_23Jan19.zip (70.6 KB, 17 views)
cremor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 488 Old 09-08-2019, 04:51 AM

Has anyone yet calibrated a C9 with CalMAN Home for LG for HDR10?

I did a calibration yesterday and noticed that after the calibration black (code 64) is no longer black but slightly grey.
I've tested it with a code 64 HDR10 test video and am able to reproduce it 100%.

After resetting the values via the TV menu or via DDC reset everything is back to normal again. It's also worth noticing that the SDR mode doesn't have this problem after calibration.

This is really annoying and I have to say that I'm not really pleased with the HDR10 calibration result.
I precisely followed the instructions in the Portrait Displays tutorial video on YouTube ("LG C9 OLED 2019 Calibration HDR with CalMAN Home").

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue? Any settings I can tweak?

My setup is:
LG OLED C9
CalMAN Home for LG v5.10.0.50
X-Rite i1 Display Pro OEM Rev. B
post #425 of 488 Old 09-08-2019, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

I did a calibration yesterday and noticed that after the calibration black (code 64) is no longer black but slightly grey.
I've tested it with a code 64 HDR10 test video and am able to reproduce it 100%.

After resetting the values via the TV menu or via DDC reset everything is back to normal again. It's also worth noticing that the SDR mode doesn't have this problem after calibration.

This is really annoying and I have to say that I'm not really pleased with the HDR10 calibration result.
I precisely followed the instructions in the Portrait Displays tutorial video on YouTube ("LG C9 OLED 2019 Calibration HDR with CalMAN Home").

My setup is:
LG OLED C9
I have and no problems with blacks looking gray on either SDR, HDR OR DV.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2016 Vizio P65-C1
2014 Vizio P50-B1E
2011 Vizio E3D420VX
2016 Vizio Smartcast Soundbar 5.1 SB4551-D5, Xbox One S, Roku 3, Mini-itx HTPC w/i7-6700k Plex Server
post #426 of 488 Old 09-08-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMINENT1 View Post
I have and no problems with blacks looking gray on either SDR, HDR OR DV.
Thanks for your answer but that's not really helpful without more details.
Which meter are you using, i1D3 Rev. B, C6 etc.? Did you use a spectro? Which LG TV model? Which calibration settings?

Have you actually checked if you have raised blacks by playing a C64 test video in a pitch black room?
post #427 of 488 Old 09-08-2019, 08:12 PM

Here is few HDR10 test patterns to test black (code 64):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmJitHy1KlXgiiwG...5vE02?e=sHNigw
post #428 of 488 Old 09-09-2019, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
Quote:

My setup is:
LG OLED C9

Make sure you are setting the internal generator to HDR 2020 in the source settings menu when calibrating HDR10.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #429 of 488 Old 09-09-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Make sure you are setting the internal generator to HDR 2020 in the source settings menu when calibrating HDR10.
Thanks for the hint Tyler.
But I'm very confident I did set the colorspace to HDR 2020 of the LG pattern generator before running the Grayscale Multipoint calibration.
As said: I precisely followed the instructions in your YouTube tutorial video.

Is there anything else that could have gone wrong that would explain the result I'm seeing?

I first thought the Tone Curve settings would be responsible so I did another calibration and skipped this step. But the result was the same.

Just in case it helps, here's a complete list of meter settings I used...
  • Meter Mode: Raw XYZ
  • Sync Mode: Auto
  • Use Status Lights: Enabled
  • Standard Exposure Mode: 1 Second
  • Low Light Handler: Enabled
  • Low Light Mode: 5 Seconds
  • Low Light Trigger: 1 cd/m²
The calibration was done in a pitch black room after a TV warmup time of about 1h (with regular content).

I also made sure the Dynamic Tone Mapping TV setting is disabled after the DDC reset and before the auto calibration started.
post #430 of 488 Old 09-09-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But I'm very confident I did set the colorspace to HDR 2020 of the LG pattern generator before running the Grayscale Multipoint calibration.

Is there anything else that could have gone wrong that would explain the result I'm seeing?

I first thought the Tone Curve settings would be responsible so I did another calibration and skipped this step. But the result was the same.

The calibration was done in a pitch black room after a TV warmup time of about 1h (with regular content).

I also made sure the Dynamic Tone Mapping TV setting is disabled after the DDC reset and before the auto calibration started.

Are you using the video files with the media player to make the TV go into HDR mode?

post #431 of 488 Old 09-09-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Are you using the video files with the media player to make the TV go into HDR mode?
Yes.
Otherwise the "Dynamic Tone Mapping" option wouldn't even have been visible if I accidentally would have forgotten to put the TV into HDR mode via playback of the HDR10 video file.

Update: I just ran another HDR10 calibration to verify I've used the proper settings. Besides CalMAN crashing during the Tonemap upload I got the same result.

So I guess it's the 1D LUT created by CalMAN causing this effect?!
I was (again) able to verify black is black again after I reset the picture mode settings in the TV's menu.

I will try another calibration tomorrow not using de_ITP as a DeltaE Formula.
Make73 likes this.

Last edited by HiFi4Vision; 09-10-2019 at 12:27 AM.
post #432 of 488 Old 09-11-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make73 View Post
Portrait Displays as X-Rites partner is hard to believe they don´t know about FSI_XM55U_23Jan19.edr (attachment).
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post58539856
Instead of using XYZ RAW, replacing CalMAN´s i1D3 OLED.edr with FSI_XM55U_23Jan19.edr by renaming it to OLED.edr gives you WRGB OLED EDR for i1 Display Pro.

Quote:
I will try another calibration tomorrow not using de_ITP as a DeltaE Formula.
Success?
jrref likes this.
post #433 of 488 Old 09-11-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Success?
Unfortunately no. The result with dE2000 as a formula was even a bit worse.
Just out of curiosity I then tried to use the WRGB OLED EDR but C64 still was no longer black.

I guess I would have to manually change the 1D LUT after the auto calibration in order to get true blacks back.

My personal conclusion:
The AutoCal result for HDR10 using CalMAN Home for LG with a C9 and i1Display Pro OEM Rev. B is not acceptable.
Besides black no longer being black the worst thing about this is that you can't even verify the result with CalMAN because the pre/post comparison is not available with HDR when using LG Internal Patterns.
Don't buy this exact setup if calibrating HDR is important to you. It seems you still have to spend a lot more money if you want to properly calibrate HDR10.
Make73 and simistef like this.
post #434 of 488 Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Don't buy this exact setup if calibrating HDR is important to you.
Thanks for info!

I can manually calibrate SDR, so sure HDR and DV autocal is important for this kind of program.

Did you contact Portrait Displays technical support?

Same raised black with Dolby Vision?

I don´t have program neither C9 (on the way) but when read these messages I remember there was mention that you can manually set black for 0 nits, could that be something which have affect for this problem.
edit, it was here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post58176336

Hope they fix it soon, I´m sure there´s others who have C9 with i1D Pro, do you have same kind of problems?

Last edited by Make73; 09-12-2019 at 07:54 PM.
post #435 of 488 Old 09-12-2019, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Contact with Portrait Display about the i1Display Profile Meter:

Me:

So I’m not realy happy with Calman Home LG and my XRITE 1DisplayPro.

Why?

Because i can’t select the real Profile Meter. I have to select Raw XYZ instead of Woled.

So why don’t you put in the WOLED Profile.

It is available in other software Products.

Take a look here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post58520354

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post58524996

Portal Display:

The i1 Display Pro is very limited in profile selection.

One of the benefits about using our C6 HDR2000 is that it has over 25 pre-configured profiles pre-loaded including the WOLED profile for LG.

I have attached more info on our C6 HDR2000 meter below:

https://kb.portrait.com/help/spectra...version=latest

Please let me know if I can help to provide further info.

Me:
So the biggest advance of the c6 is. That i have to buy it from you. :-)
Please. We both know that it is possible to put the meter profile for the i1Display into calman.
You also have the profile for the c6 which can also can be done for the i1. :-)
Many Freewares can also use the existing WOLED Profile for the i1.
At this point I'm not very happy with your strategy just to push the c6.
I'm a consumer and not a professional.
I bought A consumer Home Software but can't use a consumer Sensor and have to buy an Profi Sensor???.

I got a workaround to use the fs*.edr for my i1 Display and have got a working Profile now.

So in this case, No Thanks.

Bye
post #436 of 488 Old 09-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Weird Luminance Adjustments on C9 TV after calibration

I have noticed some weird luminance adjustments which the TV seems to be making in the middle of watching a film. It first cropped up a few weeks ago while watching The Deer Hunter on 4K UHD in the calibrated Dolby Vision mode.

There are a number of extended night scenes or low lit scenes in the film. I noticed this issue several times when transitioning from a long period of low lighting to a daytime scene. The daytime scene starts and within a second or two the TV gradually raises the overall brightness of the entire image. You can see it slowly transition. It's basically the opposite of what happens when you exit out of an HDR presentation and the panel has a gentle ramp down to ISF Dark Room mode. However, I don't think it's a fault of the TV switching in and out of an HDR mode to SDR mode and back again. If it were, I would expect to see a prompt on the top right hand corner of the screen indicating HDR has kicked in during a film when the luminance ramp up happens.

I've also noticed this same issue other times as well. I believe I have cancelled all settings which could cause something like this. I even have dynamic tone mapping set off (for HDR10) and instead use the de-emphasis curve points entered during calibration.

It seems to happen mostly on Dolby Vision encoded content. Last night it occurred on an episode of Mindhunter (presented in Dolby Vision). There are a lot of low lit scenes in the series but I noticed this ramp up of overall luminace when a scene started that was set in a confrence room lit with bright florescent lights. While it may occur most often in the calibrated dolby vision mode, I believe I have seen it on regular HDR and perhaps even SDR. I can't remember at the moment.

I was wondering if anyone knew what was going on here? Or if anyone has experienced something similar on their end? Is the slow ramp up a normal response to processing scene specific dynamic Dolby Vision metadata?
post #437 of 488 Old 09-12-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraschwips View Post
I have noticed some weird luminance adjustments which the TV seems to be making in the middle of watching a film. It first cropped up a few weeks ago while watching The Deer Hunter on 4K UHD in the calibrated Dolby Vision mode.
[...]
I was wondering if anyone knew what was going on here? Or if anyone has experienced something similar on their end? Is the slow ramp up a normal response to processing scene specific dynamic Dolby Vision metadata?
Sounds like the issue LG's 2018 OLEDs had a while ago.
Vincent describes it pretty well in this video:
post #438 of 488 Old 09-12-2019, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Sounds like the issue LG's 2018 OLEDs had a while ago.
Vincent describes it pretty well in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TthtKfCOzmU
HiFi4Vision, thanks for your reply and for providing this video. Yes, I agree it sounds like it might be the same issue. I did check the firmware last night and its up to date.

Has anyone else seen this on a 2019 model? The video explains that a firmware update was released to fix the 2018 models. You'd think it wouldn't be an issue at all on the new models; and I don't see that anyone has written about it. Can anyone else chime in on whether they have experienced something similar to this on a 2019 LG OLED like the C9?
post #439 of 488 Old 09-12-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Pajonk View Post
The i1 Display Pro is very limited in profile selection.
One of the benefits about using our C6 HDR2000 is that it has over 25 pre-configured profiles pre-loaded including the WOLED profile for LG.
[...]
Me:
So the biggest advance of the c6 is. That i have to buy it from you. :-)
Please. We both know that it is possible to put the meter profile for the i1Display into calman.
You also have the profile for the c6 which can also can be done for the i1. :-)
To my knowledge the C6 is just a rebranded i1 Display Pro OEM Rev. B.
I.e. the hardware is the same but you get custom profiles and a certificate of accuracy.
The extra charge for this service and the profiles is about $600.

I very well understand why they have little interest to improve the results of a regular i1D3:
if you basically would get the same result with a i1D3 why would anyone voluntarily pay $600 more for the C6?
post #440 of 488 Old 09-12-2019, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

+1, same problem here. The IRE0 it's not absolutely black, its a very very very very dark gray. DeltaE Formula setted in de_ITP.

Same settings and i1 display pro also...

EDIT: only in HDR mode, not in SDR.
Make73 and HiFi4Vision like this.
post #441 of 488 Old 09-12-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocinillo2 View Post
+1, same problem here. The IRE0 it's not absolutely black, its a very very very very dark gray. DeltaE Formula setted in de_ITP.

Currently I am at CEDIA in Denver, but I will test this myself on Monday when I am back in the office.

Can you list what firmware you are running on the TV?

I just want to make sure I have the same exact set up when I do my testing.

Tyler

post #442 of 488 Old 09-12-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

And you guys are selecting LG 20pts HDR as the autoCAL grayscale points?

post #443 of 488 Old 09-12-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Yes. I checked twice. Everything is identical as your video...
post #444 of 488 Old 09-12-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Currently I am at CEDIA in Denver, but I will test this myself on Monday when I am back in the office.

Can you list what firmware you are running on the TV?

I just want to make sure I have the same exact set up when I do my testing.
Thanks Tyler! I'm really curious what the results of your tests will be and appreciate your efforts.
I'm using the latest public firmware v03.60.19 on my C9.

I can confirm everything Tocinillo2 has said. I don't have the problem in SDR mode either.
You won't be able to see the raised blacks in a bright room but under cinematic viewing conditions (pitch black room).

Quote:
Yes, LG 20 Points HDR. As said before: I strictly followed the instructions of your YouTube video tutorial.
post #445 of 488 Old 09-12-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraschwips View Post
I've noticed one strange luminance adjustment on my LG C9, not calibrated yet. Watching "Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi 4K Blu-ray" in Dolby Vision mode the luminance suddenly ramps up in the middle of the end credits. It only does this if I'm playing back from a couple of chapter stops prior. If I back up 30 seconds or so and re-play, then it does not happen. I've forced my Oppo UDP-203 to play back HDR10 for comparison, in which case the luminance increase occurs earlier in the end credits. I too believe I've got everything turned off that would account for this. It occurs when the screen becomes filled with credits, so it's increasing luminance when the ABL goes up. That leads me to believe that it has nothing to do with ABL limiting. So far I have not detected it on other titles.
post #446 of 488 Old 09-12-2019, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I've noticed one strange luminance adjustment on my LG C9, not calibrated yet. Watching "Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi 4K Blu-ray" in Dolby Vision mode the luminance suddenly ramps up in the middle of the end credits. It only does this if I'm playing back from a couple of chapter stops prior. If I back up 30 seconds or so and re-play, then it does not happen. I've forced my Oppo UDP-203 to play back HDR10 for comparison, in which case the luminance increase occurs earlier in the end credits. I too believe I've got everything turned off that would account for this. It occurs when the screen becomes filled with credits, so it's increasing luminance when the ABL goes up. That leads me to believe that it has nothing to do with ABL limiting. So far I have not detected it on other titles.

I suggest you use tv-led in the dolby vision setting of the oppo player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S/W: LightSpace HTL, CalMAN Home for LG
P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG, VideoForge Pro
Meters: i1PRO2, SpectraCAL C6 HDR2000
TV: LG Oled 65 c8, chinoppo udp-203, himedia q10 pro
AVR: Denon x-4500 5.1.4, SVS Prime Satellite 5.1, RSL C34E
post #447 of 488 Old 09-12-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
...I can confirm everything Tocinillo2 has said. I don't have the problem in SDR mode either...
So could you check is that problem only with HDR10 or is it present also with Dolby Vision?
Just they can start acts to repair this issue.

Here is BlackPLUGE test patterns where you find also DV to test.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmJitHy1KlXgihkt...DpDV3?e=StyDCH

Not going to buy this software until this is solved.

Last edited by Make73; 09-12-2019 at 07:56 PM.
post #448 of 488 Old 09-12-2019, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz911 View Post
I suggest you use tv-led in the dolby vision setting of the oppo player.
I already am.
post #449 of 488 Old 09-13-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
So could you check is that problem only with HDR10 or is it present also with Dolby Vision?
Same problem with Dolby Vision (Cinema mode) after a calibration with CalMAN Home for LG.
Maybe a little less visible than in HDR10 but that could be subjective.
Make73 likes this.
post #450 of 488 Old 09-14-2019, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
...I can confirm everything Tocinillo2 has said. I don't have the problem in SDR mode either...
Just they can start acts to repair this issue.

Here is BlackPLUGE test patterns where you find also DV to test.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmJitHy1KlXgihkt...DpDV3?e=StyDCH

Not going to buy this software until this is solved.
Yes I rechecked last night. 0 Black it's not true Black, it's like 1%..very very very dark grey, but not Black 100%.

I don't tried with Dolby Vision, but the problem doesn't appear with SDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page