post #91 of 518 Old 05-28-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_bcc View Post
One more question. Is there alternative to HDfury?
For HDMI inputs? Only actual HDR pattern generators ($$$) or UHD BD players with one of the HDR pattern discs. And the last are kind of a hassle to use with autocal.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 518 Old 05-29-2019, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiecesfit View Post
Forgive me but can anyone confirm if MobileForge supports Calman LG Autocal in any capacity? SDR, HDR or Dolby Vision? Thanks
It works for SDR only. my following comments are about Mobile forge output through the 4K firestick. I have been trying to figure out if the output should be set at RGB or YCBCR. The RGB output is supposed to be bit perfect and the YCBCR may not be. The information out there is conflicting at best.

Tyler has said they have not tested the RGB or the YCBCR outputs so they don't know. It is a spectracal product designed for Calman and at this point they have not stated if it is Bit accurate and if it is, under what product is it accurate. Samsung mobile phone? firestick? 4k firestick? Apple?

So apparently the jury is out, sure do wish we could hear from the people that created the program as to the accuracy of the product and which delivery system meets the requirements to deliver an accurate patch set.

When I use the RGB output on the 4K firestick the secondary colors are far away from the points they should be at. The YCBCR secondary points are where they are supposed to be but the consensus from the AVS posters are that this output is not bit perfect.

Hope this helps.
post #93 of 518 Old 05-29-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswood View Post
It works for SDR only. my following comments are about Mobile forge output through the 4K firestick. I have been trying to figure out if the output should be set at RGB or YCBCR. The RGB output is supposed to be bit perfect and the YCBCR may not be. The information out there is conflicting at best.

Tyler has said they have not tested the RGB or the YCBCR outputs so they don't know. It is a spectracal product designed for Calman and at this point they have not stated if it is Bit accurate and if it is, under what product is it accurate. Samsung mobile phone? firestick? 4k firestick? Apple?

So apparently the jury is out, sure do wish we could hear from the people that created the program as to the accuracy of the product and which delivery system meets the requirements to deliver an accurate patch set.

When I use the RGB output on the 4K firestick the secondary colors are far away from the points they should be at. The YCBCR secondary points are where they are supposed to be but the consensus from the AVS posters are that this output is not bit perfect.

Hope this helps.

Tyler posted about this on the other calibration thread, they haven't tested the 4k firestick, but I believe he stated the original fire stick was able to output bit perfect signal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 518 Old 05-31-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
The default hdr autocal workflow actually calibrates the tv to bt2020-sdr gamma 2.2 eotf instead of the PQ curve, does this means that the TV internally maps the HDR content to this bt2020-sdr eotf? If that's true, I guess that also means the final result depends on how well the internal mapping does, right?
post #95 of 518 Old 06-01-2019, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
is the tutorial coming next year ?

LG 65 C9 OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (49-XXXX MODIFIED )
Home Theater 7.1.4 with yamaha RX3070
post #96 of 518 Old 06-01-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4klover View Post
is the tutorial coming next year ?

All the LG ones have been recorded, and now they are going through post production. We are really stepping up the production value on these new videos, so they are taking longer to create than our previous videos.

Tyler
jrref and richardsim7 like this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #97 of 518 Old 06-02-2019, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Tyler, when calibrating on sdr mode i cant find the pattern to adjust brightness and contrast using the c9.

Could you please explain?
post #98 of 518 Old 06-02-2019, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hi guys,
At the moment I’m using raspberry pi as pattern generator but I have a chance to buy videoforge 1st gen. My question is will I gain in terms of accuracy or anything else? Is it worth do buy it or should I save for 2nd gen. or just use pi?
post #99 of 518 Old 06-03-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_bcc View Post
Hi guys,

At the moment I’m using raspberry pi as pattern generator but I have a chance to buy videoforge 1st gen. My question is will I gain in terms of accuracy or anything else? Is it worth do buy it or should I save for 2nd gen. or just use pi?
The raspberry pi is accurate. You won't see a difference. If you can get a 2nd generation that will give you her plus Dolby vision capability

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
post #100 of 518 Old 06-03-2019, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 146
When you calibrate a picture mode with AutoCal, does that calibration also apply to the PC input for 4:4:4 chroma or does PC mode require a separate calibration run?
post #101 of 518 Old 06-04-2019, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 43
So, if you remember, I had experienced some very bad results with Calman which I described in this post in the main Calman 5 thread.

I was trying to calibrate the TV as a PC monitor, that is: Calman configured for full range patterns, RGB graphics card with full range output, using the TV with full range input (Black level set to High), on a HDMI input marked as PC.

The end result was that when viewing a image like this:

it would look like this on the TV:

I left Calman aside for a month, and now I noticed in this thread that WiFiSpy recommends to do the full range calibration using the TV with the input marked for video levels (Black level set to Low).

Indeed, this way the calibration of the grayscale no longer causes the issues with the patches near to 235. More precisely: Calman configured in its Workflow Basic Options setting tab with Luminance Levels Video = 16-235, doing a Autocal Grayscale for 16-255 (0-109%), graphic card configured for full range 0-255 output, and TV input configured for video levels (Black Level Low). Switching the TV input afterwards back to PC levels (Black level set to High), does not give the same response as when the TV had TV levels, but it's good enough.

Measuring something, and then using something else, is not the right way to do calibration though, I am surprised that none of its customers is asking Portrait Displays to implement 0-255 8 bit RGB calibration properly.

Unfortunately, I am not able to do a calibration of colors using anything else but the Matrix LUT. When I try using Lightning LUT for instance, Calman fails after some time with this message:

And if I do what the dialog say, that is to enable Sync for the i1D3, it still fails, only that it happens much quicker:

There are no such issues when doing the Grayscale AutoCal, when doing pre and post calibration measurements, or when creating the i1D3 correction matrix. Only the saturation AutoCal fails like this.

This is a Rev.A i1D3, btw.

Any tips on how to get rid of this issue?
post #102 of 518 Old 06-04-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stama View Post
So, if you remember, I had experienced some very bad results with Calman which I described in this post in the main Calman 5 thread.

I was trying to calibrate the TV as a PC monitor, that is: Calman configured for full range patterns, RGB graphics card with full range output, using the TV with full range input (Black level set to High), on a HDMI input marked as PC.

The end result was that when viewing a image like this:

it would look like this on the TV:

I left Calman aside for a month, and now I noticed in this thread that WiFiSpy recommends to do the full range calibration using the TV with the input marked for video levels (Black level set to Low).

Indeed, this way the calibration of the grayscale no longer causes the issues with the patches near to 235. More precisely: Calman configured in its Workflow Basic Options setting tab with Luminance Levels Video = 16-235, doing a Autocal Grayscale for 16-255 (0-109%), graphic card configured for full range 0-255 output, and TV input configured for video levels (Black Level Low). Switching the TV input afterwards back to PC levels (Black level set to High), does not give the same response as when the TV had TV levels, but it's good enough.

Measuring something, and then using something else, is not the right way to do calibration though, I am surprised that none of its customers is asking Portrait Displays to implement 0-255 8 bit RGB calibration properly.

Unfortunately, I am not able to do a calibration of colors using anything else but the Matrix LUT. When I try using Lightning LUT for instance, Calman fails after some time with this message:

And if I do what the dialog say, that is to enable Sync for the i1D3, it still fails, only that it happens much quicker:

There are no such issues when doing the Grayscale AutoCal, when doing pre and post calibration measurements, or when creating the i1D3 correction matrix. Only the saturation AutoCal fails like this.

This is a Rev.A i1D3, btw.

Any tips on how to get rid of this issue?

The error you showed is a meter sync error. What did you have meter sync mode set to in CalMAN?

Are you using a USB extension cable with the i1 Display Pro?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #103 of 518 Old 06-04-2019, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I read that calibrating LG OLED using CalMan gamma should be set to 2.4 power but I always thought it supposed to be 1886. What is correct and why ?
post #104 of 518 Old 06-04-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
With a black level of 0 nits, which OLEDs can do, BT1886 will give you a 2.4 gamma curve...
chunon and jrref like this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #105 of 518 Old 06-06-2019, 05:56 AM

Hi Everyone, i finally receive my spectrometer an i1pro2 .
Could you guys please explain the step to profile my i1dipslay pro to recalibrate my lg c9 with Calman home software.

Thanks you for your help
post #106 of 518 Old 06-06-2019, 07:29 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
I received my 77C9 yesterday and purchased Calman Home for LG.

I tried using the custom tone-mapping and have some comments and questions:
  • Are the roll off values percentages of the of the maximum luminance or something else?
  • What values should be used to, for example, apply no tone-mapping below 500 nits in all cases?
  • Are these values lobal settings or input/mode specific?
  • The ON/OFF button is confusing, It appears to be a toggle so it would be better as two radio buttons or, perhaps, change the label to something like "ON - Turn Off" and "OFF - Turn On".
Thanks,

Rich
chunon likes this.

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #107 of 518 Old 06-06-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

• Are the roll off values percentages of the of the maximum luminance or something else?
  • What values should be used to, for example, apply no tone-mapping below 500 nits in all cases?
  • The ON/OFF button is confusing, It appears to be a toggle so it would be better as two radio buttons or, perhaps, change the label to something like "ON - Turn Off" and "OFF - Turn On".
Thanks,

Rich

We have a tutorial video coming soon, but let me clip out just the tone mapping part and post it here.

Tyler
RichB and richardsim7 like this.

post #108 of 518 Old 06-06-2019, 02:48 PM

Lg calman home doesnt find my meter i1pro2 when i click find meter, what can i do ?
post #109 of 518 Old 06-06-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto84 View Post
Lg calman home doesnt find my meter i1pro2 when i click find meter, what can i do ?

Do you have any other calibration software installed like it x-rite or HCFR?

post #110 of 518 Old 06-06-2019, 03:06 PM

Yes xrite
post #111 of 518 Old 06-06-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes xrite
The Xrite services runtime prevents CalMAN from connecting to the meter.
Rolls-Royce likes this.

post #112 of 518 Old 06-06-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Thanks,

Rich
Here is a snippet of the HDR tone mapping section of the upcoming LG 2019 HDR Professional Video. FYI the validation steps in the video are not in the CalMAN Home workflow. A CalMAN Home LG HDR video will be release soon too.

Sorry for the low quality of this video encode, I wanted to make a quick encode. The final full video will be high quality.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10fk...ew?usp=sharing
RichB, Rumble Devo and jrref like this.

post #113 of 518 Old 06-06-2019, 04:21 PM

Thanks Tyler, is it better to do the calibration with the i1pro2 or should i profile the i1display pro?

If i profile should i do it for each point?
post #114 of 518 Old 06-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Here is a snippet of the HDR tone mapping section of the upcoming LG 2019 HDR Professional Video. FYI the validation steps in the video are not in the CalMAN Home workflow. A CalMAN Home LG HDR video will be release soon too.

Sorry for the low quality of this video encode, I wanted to make a quick encode. The final full video will be high quality.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10fk...ew?usp=sharing
Thanks for the video and it answers some of the questions.

What about these questions:

Are these values lobal settings or input/mode specific? I assume no.
The ON/OFF button is confusing, It appears to be a toggle so it would be better as two radio buttons or, perhaps, change the label to something like "ON - Turn Off". From the video, I assume that this is an upload button.

I am not ready for a full calibration so without a meter connected to the TV and went to the DDC tab.
When I press On/Off White command windows flash.

Is this uploading anything or do I need to connect a meter and follow the workflow?

Also, I don't have the workflow shown in the video

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2

Last edited by RichB; 06-07-2019 at 11:06 AM.
post #115 of 518 Old 06-06-2019, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

Since LG assumes all panels have a peak luminance at 700 nits, and 2018 models do not let users modify tone mapping settings, would it be better to let calman manually calibrates the white point of 2018 models to 700 nits even if they actually have brighter peak luminance?
post #116 of 518 Old 06-07-2019, 01:42 AM

Tyler would you please confirm that there is no pattern to set up brightness and contrast using the c9?

Also i am struglling to understand how the clipping test work.
Where do i find the 100/235 pattern?
post #117 of 518 Old 06-07-2019, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Tyler would you please confirm that there is no pattern to set up brightness and contrast using the c9?

Just happened to notice this even though I'm not on an LG.

I believe 100/235 means 100% brightness pattern (which is equivalent to 235 in a limited range signal). In other words, if yours is like my Sony version (which is an if - I'm quite new to CalMAN myself), click the white 100 pattern at the bottom, then run the test to see if the CalMAN clipping graph matches up. Hope this is helpful.
post #118 of 518 Old 06-07-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post
Quote:

Just happened to notice this even though I'm not on an LG.

I believe 100/235 means 100% brightness pattern (which is equivalent to 235 in a limited range signal). In other words, if yours is like my Sony version (which is an if - I'm quite new to CalMAN myself), click the white 100 pattern at the bottom, then run the test to see if the CalMAN clipping graph matches up. Hope this is helpful.
Yes that help, thanks for your help
post #119 of 518 Old 06-07-2019, 05:59 AM

I finally manage to profile my i1display pro with the i1pro spectro.
I found peak luminance to be at around 650 on hdrcinema is that normal as it is much lower than the 730 i found before?
Dolby vision dead on at 700 nits.

I have a few questions.
For a bright room what should be my target luminance for sdr bright mode?

Durung the night my room is fairly dark what should be my target luminance for sdr dark mode?

As i believe there is no brightness and contrast pattern in the pattern generator of the lg c9 would that be ok to use manually the avs709 pattern instead?
By doing this i found that brightness at 53 is correct for my display
Is changing the brigtness from 50 to 53 affecting my calibration?
post #120 of 518 Old 06-07-2019, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know if the X-Rite i1 Studio is supported? I saw the Colormunki Spectro listsed as supported but I'm not really sure if the hardware was changed at all when they rebranded it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page