CalMAN Home Samsung Works With JU7500 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ryandhorn

post #1 of 9 Old 05-22-2019, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Lightbulb CalMAN Home Samsung Works With JU7500

First post here, but I think I've got something useful.

I have a 55JU7500 UHD TV from 2015 and, according to the site, CalMAN Home Samsung only works with 2015 and 2016 SUHD TVs (8000 and 9000 series). I can confirm that this is not the case, as I have successfully calibrated my 55JU7500 using CalMAN Home Samsung and a USB to 2.5mm cable. That second part is also important because CalMAN says you need a USB to Serial adapter and a Serial to 2.5mm cable plus some CalMAN drivers. This is not accurate in my experience, as with the USB cable plugged into the EX Link port on my TV, CalMAN recognized the TV as a 2015 SUHD TV and controlled it just fine.

For patterns, I used MobileForge and AirPlay from a 2018 12.9 iPad Pro 512 to an Apple TV 4K 64 connected to input 1 on the Samsung 55JU7500 TV I/O box.

Here's the setup using a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, and performance base (dGPU):

Spyder5 Colorimeter

CalMAN Home Samsung

Green-utech PL2303TA 6ft Usb Rs232 Serial to 3.5mm Stereo Aj Cable (Amazon)

The TV and colorimeter were both plugged directly into the standard USB A ports on the laptop (no hub).

I've attached my before and after from the final screen of CalMAN Home Samsung's workflow. I used the snipping tool after everything was disconnected by pulling up the saved cal file, so please ignore the "yellow" items in the upper-right. All three are green when hooked up per specifications above. I took a pic and video on my iPhone to share with friends if anyone needs to see it working.

Also, for reference: the "before" data in the CalMAN screenshot represents the cal settings from rtings for the JU7500.

Really hope this helps someone, let me know if there are any questions I can answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CalMAN screenshot.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	2570356  
mombasa123 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-22-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
This really is old news, as one of our Canadian members, @p5browne , has been using the Samsung autocal routines on his 2015 HU and/or JU sets for some months now. By the way, it's true that using two cables, a USB-to-3.5mm and RS232-to-USB, isn't necessary if one uses a single cable that has the RS232 adapter built in like yours. But it's far more flexible to use two if you have other components that require a RS232-to-USB cable such as a Lumagen processor. Many of us do, and already have such a cable. For us, two cables make sense, and the requirement is indeed accurate.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 05-22-2019 at 07:51 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-22-2019, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
This really is old news, as one of our Canadian members, @p5browne , has been using the Samsung autocal routines on his 2015 HU and/or JU sets for some months now. By the way, it's true that using two cables, a USB-to-3.5mm and RS232-to-USB, isn't necessary if one uses a single cable that has the RS232 adapter built in like yours. But it's far more flexible to use two if you have other components that require a RS232-to-USB cable such as a Lumagen processor. Many of us do, and already have such a cable. For us, two cables make sense, and the requirement is indeed accurate.
After a VERY short try using Autocal, went back to my more accurate Manual mode. Doesn't take long when most calibrating is just tweaking for differences in FW updates (very, very rare from Samsung these days) and hours on.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-22-2019, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My point was that autocal on the 2015 sets isn't new...

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #5 of 9 Old 05-23-2019, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
After a VERY short try using Autocal, went back to my more accurate Manual mode. Doesn't take long when most calibrating is just tweaking for differences in FW updates (very, very rare from Samsung these days) and hours on.
Thanks for the info! I'll give it a shot on manual.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-23-2019, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My point was that autocal on the 2015 sets isn't new...
Sincerest apologies for the old news, then.

I tried searching AVS Forum and couldn't find this answer specifically for "CalMAN Home for Samsung." Maybe I missed it, but this post was just for folks who might be interested in that specific product. I think it's safe to assume the target demographic for "CalMAN Home for xxx" don't own or know how to use the more expensive CalMAN products, so if your comment is a case of "of course it works with CalMAN Home for Samsung, it works with CalMAN 5," that might not be so evident to laymen like me. The requirements and instructions for this product are very very specific and pointed, no wiggle-room for Lumigens or mentions of other applications for the serial adapter... if what your describing is even supported in the $150 "Calman Home for" series.

Will avoid posting in the future, was just trying to help folks like me without any calibration experience who might want this specific product.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-23-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandhorn View Post
Sincerest apologies for the old news, then.

I tried searching AVS Forum and couldn't find this answer specifically for "CalMAN Home for Samsung." Maybe I missed it, but this post was just for folks who might be interested in that specific product. I think it's safe to assume the target demographic for "CalMAN Home for xxx" don't own or know how to use the more expensive CalMAN products, so if your comment is a case of "of course it works with CalMAN Home for Samsung, it works with CalMAN 5," that might not be so evident to laymen like me. The requirements and instructions for this product are very very specific and pointed, no wiggle-room for Lumigens or mentions of other applications for the serial adapter... if what your describing is even supported in the $150 "Calman Home for" series.

Will avoid posting in the future, was just trying to help folks like me without any calibration experience who might want this specific product.
Welcome to the forum. Please don't avoid posting. As I stated earlier, I wanted to let you and others know that autocal for certain 2015 Samsung models isn't a brand-new thing. In addition, there is another reason to use a two-cable setup rather than a single cable: length. The one-piece cable you referred to is 6' long. While this sounds like a lot, in practice, it isn't. It means that the CalMAN computer has to be relatively close to the TV, and in many setups, this is neither desirable nor possible. Two cables can give you 12' or more of distance from the screen, and this can be useful whether or not one has other components that need a RS232-to-USB adapter.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #8 of 9 Old 05-23-2019, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Welcome to the forum. Please don't avoid posting. As I stated earlier, I wanted to let you and others know that autocal for certain 2015 Samsung models isn't a brand-new thing. In addition, there is another reason to use a two-cable setup rather than a single cable: length. The one-piece cable you referred to is 6' long. While this sounds like a lot, in practice, it isn't. It means that the CalMAN computer has to be relatively close to the TV, and in many setups, this is neither desirable nor possible. Two cables can give you 12' or more of distance from the screen, and this can be useful whether or not one has other components that need a RS232-to-USB adapter.
Thank you, and your point is taken regarding the advantages of the two-cable setup. To clarify though, the reason I felt the need to mention it is because the website and workflow actually state that using anything other than the serial adapter and extra cable "is impossible." This might make a lot of folks drop extra $$ on the adapter and cable listed on the website/linked to in the workflow. That's before trying to install the drivers for the adapter, which for novices might not be as easy as it sounds. The USB to EX Link cable is a much cheaper and more user-friendly option if 6' of cable is adequate. Here's the excerpt from the workflow:

Serial Connection Cables
  • Display connection is impossible without these cables
  • Listed Below
Serial Connection Information

To connect the CalMAN calibration computer to a Samsung SUHD TV:
  1. Connect an ExLink adapter (3.5mm headphone jack to DB9 serial cable) between the 3.5mm jack on the side of the Samsung OneConnect box labeled “External Sync” and an RS232 port on your PC or to a USB to serial converter.
  2. If you are using a USB to serial converter, in Windows Device Manager, under “Ports (COM & LPT),” look for a “USB Serial Port (COMx)” listing.
  3. Note the listed COM port (COMx) of the serial converter.
3.5mm Headphone Jack to DB9 Female Serial Cable

Buy on Amazon
USB to RS232 Serial Converter

For connecting to a Samsung TV with a computer that does not have an RS232 port, we recommend the FTDI USB to RS232 converter. Extensive testing has determined that this FTDI converter, which includes a data buffer, is the most reliable adapter to use for CalMAN device control.
Buy
Buy on Amazon
USB Driver download for FTDI converter
Or, CalMAN Device Driver Pack

For novices like me, this makes it seem like I absolutely need to buy the specific items linked to in the workflow ($32 for just the adapter as of today) and use the driver links provided to install the adapter. I was just pointing out for novices that this isn't the case, and a $13 cable will do the job with no driver installation required on Windows 10.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-23-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandhorn View Post
Thank you, and your point is taken regarding the advantages of the two-cable setup. To clarify though, the reason I felt the need to mention it is because the website and workflow actually state that using anything other than the serial adapter and extra cable "is impossible." This might make a lot of folks drop extra $$ on the adapter and cable listed on the website/linked to in the workflow. That's before trying to install the drivers for the adapter, which for novices might not be as easy as it sounds. The USB to EX Link cable is a much cheaper and more user-friendly option if 6' of cable is adequate. Here's the excerpt from the workflow:

Serial Connection Cables
  • Display connection is impossible without these cables
  • Listed Below
Serial Connection Information

To connect the CalMAN calibration computer to a Samsung SUHD TV:
  1. Connect an ExLink adapter (3.5mm headphone jack to DB9 serial cable) between the 3.5mm jack on the side of the Samsung OneConnect box labeled “External Sync” and an RS232 port on your PC or to a USB to serial converter.
  2. If you are using a USB to serial converter, in Windows Device Manager, under “Ports (COM & LPT),” look for a “USB Serial Port (COMx)” listing.
  3. Note the listed COM port (COMx) of the serial converter.
3.5mm Headphone Jack to DB9 Female Serial Cable

Buy on Amazon
USB to RS232 Serial Converter

For connecting to a Samsung TV with a computer that does not have an RS232 port, we recommend the FTDI USB to RS232 converter. Extensive testing has determined that this FTDI converter, which includes a data buffer, is the most reliable adapter to use for CalMAN device control.
Buy
Buy on Amazon
USB Driver download for FTDI converter
Or, CalMAN Device Driver Pack

For novices like me, this makes it seem like I absolutely need to buy the specific items linked to in the workflow ($32 for just the adapter as of today) and use the driver links provided to install the adapter. I was just pointing out for novices that this isn't the case, and a $13 cable will do the job with no driver installation required on Windows 10.
That how-to is probably poorly worded. In point of fact, it IS impossible to connect to the Samsungs without an RS232-to-USB converter in the chain somewhere. People have asked here if it's enough just to use a USB-to-3.5 cable, so that distinction has to be made. I'm also guessing that that particular RS232 to USB cable is what they had on hand. They do communication workups for other devices including the Lumagens I mentioned. Now, they do recommend specific cables based on the chipsets they use. They've found in the past that some of the chips used in these cables can introduce random errors, and those are to be avoided if you're doing an autocal, large 3D LUT upload, or a multi-thousand-point display characterization. They probably have not tested the specific cable you used and so haven't recommended it.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
calman , calman home , calman home samsung , JU7500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page