Useable "Life-span" of colorimeters - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Dominic Chan
  • 3 Post By ttnuagmada
  • 1 Post By ttnuagmada

post #1 of 6 Old 05-27-2019, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Useable "Life-span" of colorimeters

I'm trying to find out when your colorimeter would have deteriorated to the extent of becoming impractical to use.

I know age is definitely a factor.
I also understand that glass filters are way more durable than gel filters.
Which brings up a side topic - how can you tell if the colorimeter you are looking at buying, has glass or gel filters?

What I am trying to establish is which "amateur" colorimeters would have the best life-span, and at what age (for the various colorimeters we use) would the colorimeter become unreliable or unuseable.
Also does the deterioration depend just on age, or is it more to do with hours of use?

I have a Colormunki Display, and I'm not particularly happy with my calibrations.
Is it my fault, or is it the colorimeter?
I am probably like many people in that I don't have access to a reliable colorimeter with which to generate a correction file for my colorimeter.

To make matters worse, I bought my Colormunki 2nd hand, so I have no idea how old it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-27-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordo View Post
I'm trying to find out when your colorimeter would have deteriorated to the extent of becoming impractical to use.

I know age is definitely a factor.
I also understand that glass filters are way more durable than gel filters.
Which brings up a side topic - how can you tell if the colorimeter you are looking at buying, has glass or gel filters?
The Colormunki Display does have a glass filter, just like its big brother i1Display3.
Nordo likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-29-2019, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I bought an i1 Display Pro in 2012 and It doesn't appear to have drifted at all. I bought a newer one last year due to it having some updated features, and the difference between the 2 is within margin of error.
chunon, Alex solomon and cremor like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-30-2019, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post
I bought an i1 Display Pro in 2012 and It doesn't appear to have drifted at all. I bought a newer one last year due to it having some updated features, and the difference between the 2 is within margin of error.
It generally accepted that the i1 Display Pro is the best of the "hobby" price range of colorimeters, and probably it's ability to maintain it's accuracy over a long period of time is part of the reason for it's reputation. It's accuracy also compares very well with many professional colorimeters.

My problem is that my budget doesn't even reach to a i1 Display Pro (at least not at the prices in Australia, and with a budget ruled by SWMBO ).
post #5 of 6 Old 05-30-2019, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordo View Post
It generally accepted that the i1 Display Pro is the best of the "hobby" price range of colorimeters, and probably it's ability to maintain it's accuracy over a long period of time is part of the reason for it's reputation. It's accuracy also compares very well with many professional colorimeters.

My problem is that my budget doesn't even reach to a i1 Display Pro (at least not at the prices in Australia, and with a budget ruled by SWMBO ).

The Colormunki Display should have the same physical properties that keep the Display Pro from drifting I would think. I think the differences are mostly in the firmware.
Nordo likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post
The Colormunki Display should have the same physical properties that keep the Display Pro from drifting I would think. I think the differences are mostly in the firmware.
I certainly hope that's the case.
When you're not happy with the results of your calibration, and you don't know the history of your colorimeter (mine is 2nd hand), you start to look for blame.
I'm still learning, so I think it is really a matter of try again, as I know I am learning something new each time I do a calibration.
And with my old projector, calibrating is all about compromising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page