The right Color & Tint pattern? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mombasa123
  • 1 Post By hifi59

post #1 of 10 Old 05-29-2019, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The right Color & Tint pattern?

So I was wondering. You always calibrate your TV at dead center of the screen.

But all Color & Tint patterns I've seen - including the one build-in in my TV - always show color adjustment pattern in the vertical sides and tint pattern in the vertical center of the screen.

1) The correct patterns should all be in the center, right?

2) Color values of test patterns seems to be in the 190s. Is there an ideal value?

3) Would it not be the best to use the meter to meassure on the patterns? Luminance level or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-30-2019, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 32
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...-enhanced.html

Setting Color/Tint
The standard method for doing this involves looking at a SMPTE color bar test pattern through a blue filter. This method has 2 drawbacks. First, at best it is an approximation of the correct setting. Second, and more importantly, for some displays it simply does NOT work. On some plasmas in particular I have noticed that this method will recommend a grossly inaccurate setting. Here's a foolproof method for setting Color/Tint that does not use filters.

Color
Point the color analyzer or light meter towards the screen and display a 100% white test pattern.
Measure the Y value (luminance) of white.
Display a 100% Red test pattern, and measure the Y value here as well.
You will notice that as you move the Color control up and down, the Y value of Red increases and decreases, but white stays the same.
Set the color control at the point where Red measures closest to 21% of the white reading.
Tint
If you have not already done so, adjust the white balance and get it as close to neutral (x=0.3127, y=0.329) across the entire range.
Point the color analyzer towards the screen and display a cyan test pattern.
Put the Tint control at its neutral mid setting.
Use the software controls to plot cyan on a CIE chart.
Adjust Tint up or down until the reading places the hue of cyan as close to the target on the CIE chart as possible (it is useful if the software has a continuous reading mode, so you can see changes you make to Tint in real time).
If you had to substantially adjust Tint from the neutral point to get an accurate hue of cyan, then check the other secondaries. You may have to select another setting that gets all 3 secondaries as close to correct hues as possible.
akyhne likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-31-2019, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much. Will for sure try this out!

Forgot to mention that my TV has both RGB single color output, as well as a color/tint pattern. Otherwise my initial questions would make no sense. But will for sure try out your guide!

Do you have a link to any CIE calculator? I need to understand more, the target values of different calibration workflows. For one, I have the problem that my 10 point WB on my TV doesn't line up with reality. My guess is, that it is because of the grayscale two-point adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-02-2019, 08:04 PM

While using the color/tint patterns with 'blue mode' is much better than a blue filter, it's still very subjective (ie depends on your eye, the tv CS etc). Using a meter as per above is the only way to get it close to accurate.

For eg, on my Samsung QLED i had Color set to 25 using Blue mode. My meter, using the above method, told me 27. I now know that is the correct value as my Color Space calibration is a lot better with that.

Use HFCR/CalMAN etc for color targets - but you do need a meter.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-03-2019, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hiya,

I just recently started to try and calibrate my X5000 projector... so I'm an absolute beginner and I might ask stupid questions !
So far I managed to get primary and secondary x and y coordinates close to their desired points (depending on rec709, BT2020, DCI P3).

However I get huge Deltas for their luminance... so, if I understand correctly, for luminance adjustments use Color and Tint ?

Many thanks for any input

Sky
post #6 of 10 Old 06-03-2019, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Depends on what You've already done/calibrated. What workflow you are using - in what order.

If you are using a software as a noob like I am, I suggest you follow a workflow of that particular software.

Down the line, you can try other methods, especially if you are not happy with your results.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-03-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyx View Post
Hiya,

I just recently started to try and calibrate my X5000 projector... so I'm an absolute beginner and I might ask stupid questions !
So far I managed to get primary and secondary x and y coordinates close to their desired points (depending on rec709, BT2020, DCI P3).

However I get huge Deltas for their luminance... so, if I understand correctly, for luminance adjustments use Color and Tint ?

Many thanks for any input

Sky
Color affects Luminance primarily (not saturation) so playing around with that will give you a broad level change. However to really tune Luminance, you need a CMS on your projector + meter + software.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 47
On my 5.4.2 version of Calman and using my xrite eyeOnePro, I don’t see Oleds or Plasmas as a choice amongst types of displays.
I believe my older version of calman at least had Plasma as an option. Any ideas?

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-05-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post
On my 5.4.2 version of Calman and using my xrite eyeOnePro, I don’t see Oleds or Plasmas as a choice amongst types of displays.
I believe my older version of calman at least had Plasma as an option. Any ideas?
Does it look something like the attached photo? If so, it's a spectrophotometer and doesn't use those types of "display type" settings. Direct View, Front Projector (2 modes), Rear Projector, Ambient Light, and Reflectance are pretty much the only options. You would use "Direct View".
Attached Images

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #10 of 10 Old 06-05-2019, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

Does it look something like the attached photo? If so, it's a spectrophotometer and doesn't use those types of "display type" settings. Direct View, Front Projector (2 modes), Rear Projector, Ambient Light, and Reflectance are pretty much the only options.
Yes. That’s the one that I have. Thanks for the response. I’ve just been selecting direct view for my oled anyway. Good to know.
Rolls-Royce likes this.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page