Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-03-2019, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie Calbration

Hi,
I just brought a projector and I am new to calibrating. Is the Disney WOW disc a good place for me to start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-03-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pierson View Post
Hi,
I just brought a projector and I am new to calibrating. Is the Disney WOW disc a good place for me to start?
By eye calibration is no longer considered valid for accurate calibration. You are better off buying an i1Display Pro colorimeter to begin with and use the free HCFR calibration software.

The meter will run you about $200-$250.

Last edited by skschatzman; 06-03-2019 at 09:21 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-03-2019, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pierson View Post
Hi,
Its a decent way to start until you get into meter calibration proper.

The AVSHD disk is good too but I would recommend Ted's disc. Far more comprehensive - it will work well with Calman etc when you get into meters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-03-2019, 07:32 PM

duplicate.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-03-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombasa123 View Post
Its a decent way to start until you get into meter calibration proper.
This has already been disproven. Using disc by eye calibration is not an accurate way to calibrate. I do not recommend this at all. With the current level of display tech being used today, only meter calibration can give accurate results.

The only settings that require by eye calibration is brightness and contrast and in nearly all cases is set properly by default. Everything else requires a meter for accurate results.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-03-2019, 11:51 PM

Except that if you are just starting, meter calibration is overwhelming and I would not want anyone to think otherwise. Need lots of time/resources/trial & error. I know because i have just spent the last 2 months getting there.

Disk by eye calibration gives you the basics at least : Brightness/Contrast/Color/Tint. Those by themselves are daunting when one is just starting - especially when you start looking at Grayscale Ramps/Steps for banding/color tints.

Basic by eye calibration leads on to proper calibration if one is so inclined. With my previous F8000 i never felt the need. With my Q9FN it's definately requited to get the best out of this TV. But, it's painful.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-03-2019, 11:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Except that if you are just starting, meter calibration is overwhelming and I would not want anyone to think otherwise. Need lots of time/resources/trial & error. I know because i have just spent the last 2 months getting there.

Disk by eye calibration gives you the basics at least : Brightness/Contrast/Color/Tint. Those by themselves are daunting when one is just starting - especially when you start looking at Grayscale Ramps/Steps for banding/color tints.

Basic by eye calibration leads on to proper calibration if one is so inclined. With my previous F8000 i never felt the need. With my Q9FN it's definately requited to get the best out of this TV. But, it's painful.
Color and Tint can't be accurately calibrated with by eye calibration. The common method of calibrating these by eye is with filters and has been proven inaccurate. Proper calibration with proper equipment does have a learning curve, but it is better to learn the right way instead of wasting time and money learning a known inaccurate method.

Just like learning any useful skill in life, you get out of it what you put into it. I don't recommend half-ass learning anything in life. Do it right the first time instead of making things harder so you have to unlearn bad information.

Edit: Also note just like Contrast and Brightness, Color and Tint in almost all cases is correct by default. This is another reason why the by eye method is useless.

Last edited by skschatzman; 06-04-2019 at 12:33 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-04-2019, 01:28 AM

Totally agree that calibrating Color/Tint using Flashing Bars/Blue Mode is not accurate (I know that now and posted the same in another thread). But it's a darn sight better than the factory default settings most TV's seem to have especially in Dynamic/Natural (aka crazy modes). But then again, you should probably not even be talking about calibration if you are using those modes. However, just by using by-eye, its then easy to see why those modes are so wrong. Get's one started as it were.

Re Contrast/Brightness/Color defaults being right - not necessarily so on Samsungs My Contrast was way off and Color had to turned up a couple of ticks using meter. Interestingly, Flashing Color Bars/Blue mode gave me the same setting as Samsung default.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-04-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Totally agree that calibrating Color/Tint using Flashing Bars/Blue Mode is not accurate (I know that now and posted the same in another thread). But it's a darn sight better than the factory default settings most TV's seem to have especially in Dynamic/Natural (aka crazy modes). But then again, you should probably not even be talking about calibration if you are using those modes. However, just by using by-eye, its then easy to see why those modes are so wrong. Get's one started as it were.

Re Contrast/Brightness/Color defaults being right - not necessarily so on Samsungs My Contrast was way off and Color had to turned up a couple of ticks using meter. Interestingly, Flashing Color Bars/Blue mode gave me the same setting as Samsung default.
Do you not see the contradiction in your statement? I bolded it to make it easier. If you know it isn't accurate, then how can you validate that it is better than default?

I don't see a valid reason to test Dynamic/Natural/Vivid/Extreme picture mode as all TVs come with closer to accurate modes like Theater, Movie, ISF or Calibrated picture modes. Especially if you are here posting about calibration. Any valid calibration source will tell you this.

As for Contrast, Brightness, Color, Tint. I never said all TV's are accurate by default. I said almost all. Your Samsung not being right, while possible, does make me question your methods of testing based on your stance for by eye calibration.

Last edited by skschatzman; 06-05-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page