Can dynamic range be changed after calibration? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-11-2019, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can dynamic range be changed after calibration?

I have an LG OLED C7 that has been calibrated. Obviously, all the film modes have been calibrated with limited dynamic range set. The SDR game mode has also been calibrated with limited dynamic range. I've decided I want to play some games on my HTPC, which currently is set to full dynamic range as that's how it was calibrated for madvr. However, SDR games can make use of a full dynamic range, but that's not how the profile is set.

My question is, would I be able to change my TV SDR game profile to full dynamic range, from limited, without having to recalibrate?

Last edited by Benjii; 06-12-2019 at 03:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-12-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 90
My Sony LCD TV measures almost exactly the same, regardless if it is set to limited or full dynamic range. I've never measured a C7, so I can't say if it might behave similarly. I'm also not sure if you might get any better feedback by posting in a C7 owner's thread.

Even if you can't get any feedback about how your TV typically performs, you could always try comparing an altered input with a calibrated input. You could take two calibrated inputs, switch one to full range, display the same test videos on both the limited and full range inputs, and flip back and forth between the two inputs to see if there are any differences in how they display the same video information. Any above-white (236-254) or below-black (1-15) video would typically be lost from the full range input, otherwise doing this comparison on my TV and electronics would result in essentially indistinguishable video playback from the limited and full range inputs. If you can see differences in the comparison, other than lost above-white or below-black video, then something in the video playback chain may not be working similarly to my electronics. In that case it's difficult to say if you might just need to adjust basic user controls, like black-level and white-level, to get the full range image to match up with your calibrated limited range input.

Last edited by alluringreality; 06-12-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page