please advise, general question - where to start with calibration? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kjfalls

post #1 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 7
please advise, general question - where to start with calibration?

We just received our LG 77" C8 and are thrilled with it. For a long time, while researching TVs, I've been seeing videos, talk and forum activity about calibration and it's something I'd like to do. But man, there is a plethora of information out there and I am still confused as to where to start. Having just gotten a good deal on this C8, I am having a hard time justifying spending half what we paid for the TV for calibration software and equipment. Is that what it's going to take, a couple of grand to get into calibration?

I'm all for spending money if it's necessary, but I'm also interested in the most economical option for getting into calibration at home as long as it's not cutting serious corners and is going to make a descent improvement over factory settings. I think that is a reasonable ask.

Sorry to ask such a broad question, I just need a little guidance as to where to start or what the minimum required software/hardware is going to be to be able to make a good calibration, and hopefully enjoy the process too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I will try to tell you how I started. I got my i1display pro form local eBay for 100 usd and at first I tried to learn calibration using HCFR. After I grown ( I think ) I bought raspberry pi as my first pattern generator and hdfury ( low money as well). After that it was time to buy Calman. Recently I bought videoforge II gen and c6 for ridiculous (low) price. Now I will sell my previous toys (i1d and raspberry pi) and use toys from Calman. I’m still learning especially from this forum.
Total amount I sent is 260 usd for gadgets and 140 for soft.
I hopped that helps.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
IMHO, you need a grasp of what you do and why you do it in calibration before you take the leap. May I suggest you look at the "Calibration for Dummies" thread in this forum if you haven't already? The document in the thread was written to describe calibration of projectors, not OLED or other display types. But the basic principles and ideas are the same. You should also scan through the thread on calibration of LG 2018 OLEDs. OLED display tech offers a number of unique challenges when calibrating, and the specifics have changed from year to year, manufacturer to manufacturer, and model to model. It's the deep end of the calibration pool. Take some time studying and meanwhile your set will accumulate the needed time before calibration. If at that point, you still want to do it yourself, by all means do so. Or you can hire a pro calibrator. It's your choice. Good luck!

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 06-18-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks both for the recommendations. I've been trying to go through that LG 2018 OLED thread, they are so long and there is no summary type section that I have to do it in spurts or I get tired of it. After a few hundred posts, it would be nice to have some sort of running summary of salient points, but I know that is hard to do.

I have been thinking about a pro calibration because, though I am interested in this from an enthusiast point of view, I have a LOT of other interests and to add one more that may be time consuming, just might not be a wise move. On the other hand, I understand that not all pro calibrators are "made the same", so I need to find someone local that I can trust to do it right with attention to detail and a good knowledge base, which may be hard in the Richmond VA area.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 114
As an enthusiast and not a pro there is a lot you can do without spending a lot of money and learn in the process. First try getting a test disc like the WOW or Video Essentials. It will take you through and explain the user controls and how to adjust each. After that you can get into temperature, white balance and service menu options to control drive and cut levels (also available as user controls on some TVs). Don't forget to learn about your environment and how it affects your viewing, Bias lighting, audio setup, viewing distance...
onebluemcm likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Do I clearly need the "for dummies" stuff - I can't even find the "Calibration for Dummies" thread.

Also, with regard to the discs, is the WOW the Disney one I've seen around? Where is the other one sourced?
post #7 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I strongly suggest that you read it. http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
Without basics you will do more bad things then good things.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Calibration for Dummies thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...n-dummies.html

For local calibrators:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...post-here.html

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #9 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

TY all. I'll do some homework and for now, just enjoy it with some basic settings adjustments like what rtings recommends for example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page