Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark Disc - Discussion - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 314Likes

post #691 of 695 Old 01-20-2020, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears View Post
Measurements? What do you mean by don't follow PQ correctly? How are you verifying this? Via measurement or the PQ tracing pattern?

HDR10/10+ use the same tone mapping algorithm and go through the same pipeline, 10+ provides additional information for tone mapping. They really share the same calibration. Dolby Vision is another matter and has its own memory and processing pipeline. With the montage on the disc and a Sony Z9D, you have to lower contrast in Dolby Vision because highlights actually clip. You can see this with the horses in the snow shot. Its the only HDR display I have encountered that does this. I have heard newer Sony displays don't behave this way, but have not verified it myself.

We were in the middle of adding autocal to Samsung when they provided a FW update that changed the brightness control from a real brightness control to whatever it is they do now. (This was 2017 models) I also recall we had to set contrast to max during calibration and lower it afterwords. This might have been for SDR. Its been a few years. I assume this is covered in the CalMAN autocal for Samsung. Assuming it is still required.
See attached using CalMAN HDR mode - hope that's what you are asking for. Contrast at 42 follows both EOTF & Luminance curves closely. Contrast at 50 …..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EOTF Contrast 42 - 1k nits.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	2672776   Click image for larger version

Name:	EOTF Contrast 50 (default) - 1k nits.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	2672778  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 695 Old 02-02-2020, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have my 4k bluray player hooked up to my 1080p plasma which I use to watch 4k movies. I just finished calibrating it with the Spears & Muncil UHD HDR calibration disk and I noticed one of the test patterns is Quantization Rotate. From the research I have done, this pattern is suppose to help decided whether it will look better for movies to be output in 8bit or 10bit color depth but the part I'm confused on is whether I used this pattern correctly. I looked at the pattern with my player settings output in 8bit and then again in 10bit and both results look the same. The 8bit shows obvious banding while the 10bit shows banding but to a far lesser extent. So my question is that because 10bit looks smoother on both settings that 10bit would be the optimal color depth? I also read that because my plasma has HDMI 1.3 ports that it does support deep color so it would support 10bit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0906.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	2679530  
post #693 of 695 Old 02-13-2020, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 675
I have to say I love the disc. The demos are great, with all kinds of landscapes, exotic animals and insects. But my big question is,

WHERE ARE THOSE EVEN MORE IMPORTANT ASSORTED SKIN TONES WE SEE IN EVERY MOVIE????!!!!

---------------------------------------
Samsung 75Q9FN, Pioneer UDP-LX500, Outlaw 975, C6-HDR, VideoForge Pro, CalMAN Home Theater, Win 10 Pro x64 1909
HT Enthusiast Extended Custom WF v22.0.0 - 1/8/2020
HT Enthusiast Essentials Custom WF v1.2.0 - 7/5/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 695 Old 02-14-2020, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
I have to say I love the disc. The demos are great, with all kinds of landscapes, exotic animals and insects. But my big question is,

WHERE ARE THOSE EVEN MORE IMPORTANT ASSORTED SKIN TONES WE SEE IN EVERY MOVIE????!!!!

Nature does not require a release form while models do. Much more restricted use and about a year of royalties just to cover it. With that said, we are working on a skin tone shoot for the update. The issue with the statement "skin tones we see in a movie" is that those skin tone are often not close to reality. There is lots of make-up, filtration, stylized / contrast lighting and color grading, so they are anything but natural.

We are Looking at something more raw with little to no make-up, no filtration and flat lighting to judge actual skin tones as processed by the TV. Even then, only a few will know what they should look like since they will have been present during the shoot. We are hoping to have ~6 models of different races. Maybe two male and four female. Something along the lines of these.

Stacey Spears
Co-Creator, Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark
post #695 of 695 Old 02-14-2020, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Campos View Post
I have my 4k bluray player hooked up to my 1080p plasma which I use to watch 4k movies. I just finished calibrating it with the Spears & Muncil UHD HDR calibration disk and I noticed one of the test patterns is Quantization Rotate. From the research I have done, this pattern is suppose to help decided whether it will look better for movies to be output in 8bit or 10bit color depth but the part I'm confused on is whether I used this pattern correctly. I looked at the pattern with my player settings output in 8bit and then again in 10bit and both results look the same. The 8bit shows obvious banding while the 10bit shows banding but to a far lesser extent. So my question is that because 10bit looks smoother on both settings that 10bit would be the optimal color depth? I also read that because my plasma has HDMI 1.3 ports that it does support deep color so it would support 10bit?
You should never be using 8-bit with UHD BD as its a 10-bit format.

The 8-bit section is a baseline. Its to show you what worst case it. If the 10-bit looks the same, then you are not seeing 10-bit. It sounds like there is some dither in the pipeline that is making the 10-bit section look better if you are outputting 8-bit and it looks the same as outputting 10-bit. e.g. I can force an LG OLED into 8-bit mode and the 8 and 10-bit sections match. By that I mean the 10-bit looks just like the 8-bit. But in 10-bit mode, then the 10-bit looks a lot better. Not perfect, but better.

Are you using the SDR or HDR version of the pattern?

The idea is you can test 422, 444 and RGB as well as 10 and 12-bit. Using this pattern along with the color space evaluation pattern to decide which mode is best. If they all look the same, then I often go with 10-bit 4:2:2 as the default mode.

Stacey Spears
Co-Creator, Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page