LG C8 - Calibration Report Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Gregg Loewen
  • 2 Post By Ken Masters

post #1 of 7 Old 06-30-2019, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG C8 - Calibration Report Review

Hello!

I had my TVs calibrated a couple of months ago, but it was only SDR settings. I started doing some research on HDR/HDR10/DV calibration and it dawned on me that it might be a good idea to have those calibration reports reviewed to see if the guy that did them is actually good or not since he's likely the one I'm gonna have to use for HDR calibration given my location in north/central Florida. I felt like he did a good job and it's really cheap ($50 per TV) to get done thanks to the Geek Squad tech service plan ($300 per TV without that plan), but I figured I should get that verified. Attached are two reports for my two televisions - he only did 2 point calibration because he felt just those changes gave sufficiently good results. I probably could've pressed him for a 20 point calibration but we had two TVs to do in a short time frame and he did both day and night settings on each. He was here for a good two hours just with that. He is ISF certified but works through Best Buy/Geek Squad said this in regards to HDR calibration:

"We actually just got the updated CalMAN software patterns/settings and firmware for doing HDR mode calibrations at the end of April. However, we can only do HDR10, not Dolby or Technicolor, and it is still pretty limited, just Gamma, Contrast, a 2 point white balance, and luminance for primary colors/hue for secondary colors.

Unfortunately, depending on the panel/options there are still a lot of sets that are a little flaky with the EOTF tracking and because very few displays can produce the full BT.2020 color space, the HDR calibration is done using 50% values of typical color saturation and luminance, which makes the CMS color windows look under-saturated. So basically, it makes some improvements, but still a work in progress.

They've made no mention at all about doing anything for Dolby, so I'm guessing that's a ways off still. As far as HDR10 is concerned, hopefully they'll expand what we can do for it soon, but they don't keep me in the loop on that stuff until it actually rolls out."

I'll definitely need to wait a bit longer before he's able to do a proper calibration based on that, but if he did a good job with SDR I don't have a big problem waiting until he has the proper tools to do it.

If he didn't do a good job I would certainly love to be pointed to a better resource for my area because I'm having trouble searching for one myself. Really any information would be appreciated, I don't understand a lot of this stuff at this point and it's a lot to learn if I'm being honest.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Report-Livingroom.pdf (806.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf Report-Bedroom.pdf (820.0 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-30-2019, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 98
On the 8 series, Dolby Vision and HDR10 can be calibrated (also DV and HDR10 Game modes).

He calibrated in the wrong color space.

Brightness control is too high.
Astray likes this.

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
post #3 of 7 Old 06-30-2019, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen View Post
On the 8 series, Dolby Vision and HDR10 can be calibrated (also DV and HDR10 Game modes).

The game modes need to be separately calibrated!? Man what I have gotten myself into...

Could you elaborate a bit more on color space and brightness control a bit more? Basically what he did vs what he should've done and the reason for it?

Last edited by Astray; 06-30-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-30-2019, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen View Post

Sorry about my earlier reply, apparently using a phone while on these forums is a no go for some reason. I fixed the previous post.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-30-2019, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 44
There's a number of items he's gotten wrong here, I wouldn't recommend using him again. In fact you'd be better served just using the default settings in one of the more accurate picture modes and switching off the extraneous picture processing.

For Game Mode you can replace the default settings with what you find in the more accurate presets (Contrast 85, Brightness 50, Color 50 - though I would recommend changing Sharpness to 0 across all settings) and setting the white point to W50. In Game mode you're still stuck with the expanded gamut in SDR unfortunately, only way to set Game Mode set to the level of the other picture modes is with auto-cal direct display control.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-01-2019, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Masters View Post
There's a number of items he's gotten wrong here, I wouldn't recommend using him again. In fact you'd be better served just using the default settings in one of the more accurate picture modes and switching off the extraneous picture processing.

For Game Mode you can replace the default settings with what you find in the more accurate presets (Contrast 85, Brightness 50, Color 50 - though I would recommend changing Sharpness to 0 across all settings) and setting the white point to W50. In Game mode you're still stuck with the expanded gamut in SDR unfortunately, only way to set Game Mode set to the level of the other picture modes is with auto-cal direct display control.
Could you elaborate possibly? Just saying he did things wrong without some explanation of how and why isn't helpful for me to understand.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-01-2019, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astray View Post
Could you elaborate possibly? Just saying he did things wrong without some explanation of how and why isn't helpful for me to understand.
If you have a bright room, fair enough, but the backlight is set higher than it should be for SDR (even in the Night setting). Brightness is set too high - the black floor is not at the right level. Contrast is too low - highlight detail is being clipped. Color gamut for SDR is wrong - color is oversaturated. Sharpness at 10 is not a problem, but I prefer it completely defeated at 0.
Astray and chunon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page