Banding in Windows 10 1903 with Nvidia cards, Calman color profiles - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Banding in Windows 10 1903 with Nvidia cards, Calman color profiles

Since SpectraCal shut down their forums, I don't know where to take this. It's a widely reported problem that the recent Windows 10 1903 update causes banding in gradients with Nvidia (and maybe other) cards and color profiles. In my case, I use Calman Client 3 to install the profile for my monitor that I created with Calman and my i1D3, and it insists on installing a profile for my TV, which I've only calibrated through its own controls. It's my TV where I really care about the banding, and I've determined that after a reboot and before I run Client 3, there is no banding. The banding appears after I run Client 3 and it installs the profile it created out of thin air for my TV. Is there any way to stop it from doing this? It won't let me delete all the profiles, and clicking "Bypass LUT" doesn't help. The system is screwed until I reboot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
Since SpectraCal shut down their forums, I don't know where to take this. It's a widely reported problem that the recent Windows 10 1903 update causes banding in gradients with Nvidia (and maybe other) cards and color profiles. In my case, I use Calman Client 3 to install the profile for my monitor that I created with Calman and my i1D3, and it insists on installing a profile for my TV, which I've only calibrated through its own controls. It's my TV where I really care about the banding, and I've determined that after a reboot and before I run Client 3, there is no banding. The banding appears after I run Client 3 and it installs the profile it created out of thin air for my TV. Is there any way to stop it from doing this? It won't let me delete all the profiles, and clicking "Bypass LUT" doesn't help. The system is screwed until I reboot.
Please PM me a contact email address so we can get more information from you, that way we can try to replicate this in house.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #3 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Will do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-03-2019, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
AMD suffers them too, take a look on 2nd entry:
https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/to...3-please-read/

I hope this get fixed on July update pack.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-03-2019, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Intel, also. It's a Windows 1903 problem. However, it doesn't happen for a given display if its profile settings aren't touched after a reboot, and it seems like it would be avoided if Client 3 wouldn't load a do-nothing profile for a display I never explicitly created a profile for in Calman.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-29-2019, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like this was fixed by Cumulative Update KB4505903. Still would be nice to be able to configure Client 3 not to load a profile for a given display, including the "null" profile which should have no effect but did during the lifetime of this Windows bug. I created no profile for my TV, but Client 3 loads its null profile anyway as a side effect of being run to load the profiles for my monitors, profiles I did create with Calman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page