Witch affordable Spectrometer to buy to match a C6 meter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-14-2019, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Witch affordable Spectrometer to buy to match a C6 meter

Hi,

I have recently bought a Spectral Bundle of the SpectraCal C6 HDR2000 & VideoForge PRO. I'm still in the learning curve and experimenting still a lot. I have several TV sets of different brands in the house which I am calibrating and in the last time advanced myself and providing some services for relatives and friends as well. However, still in a more supporting way and not as a business model, yet.

Therefore I couldn't justify investing in a professional grade equipment yet, such as a Klein Meter and I don't think I will in the distinct future. However, after spending for my current setup serious money I don't want to hire any professional guys anymore, as these are not cheap in any way and it is difficult to find a good one in my location where I live. Given all the TV sets and PC monitors around here I would cost me a arm and a leg to get these all calibrated by someone from outside.

I don't have any possibility to cross reference the accuracy of my C6 meter, especially over time. I try to treat it with caution but I'm sure the meter will drift with every day. In addition, I don't have any substantial experience with it's drift and error rate. All I want to avoid is using a bad meter for my calibration and may even set things to the worse given bad readings.

I would like to ask you all what is your opinion to add a Spectrometer to my set for profiling my C6 before every calibration. I have seen it done even with the expensive Klein Meters. Of course, I wouldn't be able to invest in a several tausend Dollar device but I might be willing to invest in a Spectrometer matching my C6, also price wise.

Do you all think this makes sense? Would you invest in a Spectrometer for yourself or do you think I am completely over estimate the error rate of my C6 meter? What of a Spectrometer would you suggest to match with the C6 if you think this makes any sense?

Thanks for your input. I highly value your opinions! Have learned here a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-14-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
There are only three "inexpensive" spectros, really. They are the X-Rite Color Munki Spectro (Design and Photo), X-Rite I1 Pro, and I1 Pro 2. You should be able to get the Color Munki and Pro 2 new or used. Unless you can find someone with new old stock, the I1 Pro will be available used only. If you find a used Pro or Pro 2, make sure it has the calibration plate, and that the plate's serial number matches that of the meter before you buy. These meters are each calibrated at the factory with their matching plate, and the wrong one can cause the I1 Diagnostics to fail with a false result even if the meter is otherwise good.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 7 Old 07-16-2019, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
There are only three "inexpensive" spectros, really. They are the X-Rite Color Munki Spectro (Design and Photo), X-Rite I1 Pro, and I1 Pro 2. You should be able to get the Color Munki and Pro 2 new or used. Unless you can find someone with new old stock, the I1 Pro will be available used only. If you find a used Pro or Pro 2, make sure it has the calibration plate, and that the plate's serial number matches that of the meter before you buy. These meters are each calibrated at the factory with their matching plate, and the wrong one can cause the I1 Diagnostics to fail with a false result even if the meter is otherwise good.
Thanks for your suggestions. Is one of the mentioned X-Rite Spectros better for my application as the others? And do you think, it is worse the money to invest in a Spectrometer to profile my C6 meter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-16-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage98 View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. Is one of the mentioned X-Rite Spectros better for my application as the others? And do you think, it is worse the money to invest in a Spectrometer to profile my C6 meter?
They all have the same 10 nm resolution, but IIRC, the Pros will read slightly faster and to 1200 nits (Pro2). In theory, you might not need a spectro with the C6 because CalMAN will probably eventually include a custom EDR for your display tech type. Having said that, it assumes that the spectral responses of both your particular display and meter match those of the devices that were used in creating that EDR. A properly-made four-color profile such as you can create yourself uses your individual meter and display so it has the possibility of being more accurate.

In short, the Pro 2 is the most capable of the 3, but its higher nit capabilites and speed may not be needed for profiling only.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 07-16-2019 at 01:02 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2019, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
They all have the same 10 nm resolution, but IIRC, the Pros will read slightly faster and to 1200 nits (Pro2). In theory, you might not need a spectro with the C6 because CalMAN will probably eventually include a custom EDR for your display tech type. Having said that, it assumes that the spectral responses of both your particular display and meter match those of the devices that were used in creating that EDR. A properly-made four-color profile such as you can create yourself uses your individual meter and display so it has the possibility of being more accurate.

In short, the Pro 2 is the most capable of the 3, but its higher nit capabilites and speed may not be needed for profiling only.
Thanks again for all your support. I am currently watching a i1 Pro 2 on eBay. On the pictures the label shows a i1 Pro gen E. Is this a correct Pro 2 revision?
post #6 of 7 Old 07-21-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage98 View Post
Thanks again for all your support. I am currently watching a i1 Pro 2 on eBay. On the pictures the label shows a i1 Pro gen E. Is this a correct Pro 2 revision?
I would NOT go with that one, based on its model number. See this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...cfr-error.html

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #7 of 7 Old 07-21-2019, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thanks a lot for informing me about this issue. It seems buying a Spectro for profiling isn't as easy as it seems to be in the beginning. A lot pitfalls are waiting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page