Wacom Color Manager - i1D3 Pro OEM Rev-B clone - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By gwgill
  • 1 Post By Light Illusion
  • 1 Post By WiFi-Spy
  • 1 Post By liberator72
  • 1 Post By Light Illusion
  • 1 Post By liberator72
  • 1 Post By gwgill
  • 1 Post By Paul Butler
  • 2 Post By gwgill
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-14-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Paul Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Old World
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wacom Color Manager - i1Display Pro OEM Rev-B clone

Anyone know if these i1Display Pro OEM Rev-B clones work with Calman?

They seem to be a good bit cheaper here in the UK than the normal OEM price. Did a search here on AVS but couldn't find the answer.
Thanks

Last edited by Paul Butler; 07-14-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Paul Butler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 07-14-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gwgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler View Post
Anyone know if these i1Display Pro OEM Rev-B clones work with Calman?
Sorry I don't know - better email Calman to find out.

What I do know is that they have a different unlock code to the retail and generic oem instruments. They should work with HCFR, ArgyllCMS, DisplayCAL and ColorMeter.
Paul Butler likes this.

Author of ArgyllCMS and ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
gwgill is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 07-15-2019, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Light Illusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,781
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
I also have no idea regarding Calman (I actually doubt it), but it will work with LightSpace.
(Oh - edited to add that the last Wacon i1D3 probes we saw were not recent builds - I guess due to Wacom having ordered a large batch from X-Rite some time back?)

Steve
Paul Butler likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Light Illusion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 Old 07-15-2019, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Paul Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Old World
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My thanks to both of you.

I've emailed Calman but I do tend to agree that the Wacom may very well be "locked down". Its too much of a risk to just buy it and see if it works so I think I'll give it a miss. Pity, it would have been a cheap way of getting hold of an OEM Rev-B.
Paul Butler is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 07-15-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WiFi-Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,749
Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler View Post
My thanks to both of you.



I've emailed Calman but I do tend to agree that the Wacom may very well be "locked down". Its too much of a risk to just buy it and see if it works so I think I'll give it a miss. Pity, it would have been a cheap way of getting hold of an OEM Rev-B.


As an X-rite partner, we follow X-rite’s policies and do not use any hacked .DLLs to bypass the meter Unlock codes. For us to add this meter to CalMAN, Wacom would need to agree to provide the unlock code, and allow us to add support.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul Butler likes this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
WiFi-Spy is online now  
post #6 of 20 Old 07-15-2019, 10:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Sunny (when it's not raining) Devon, U.K.
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler View Post
Anyone know if these i1Display Pro OEM Rev-B clones work with Calman?

They seem to be a good bit cheaper here in the UK than the normal OEM price. Did a search here on AVS but couldn't find the answer.
Thanks
Just a heads up, seeing as you're in the UK, Amazon have the i1Display Pro Retail going extremely cheaply at the moment (approx half the price of an OEM unit over here). Possibly part of Prime Day??? The retail unit works with CalMan so it may be worth jumping on that while it's available.
Paul Butler likes this.
liberator72 is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 07-15-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Light Illusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,781
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Do be aware the i1D3's on Amazon are not guaranteed to be RevB, and as they are Retail are 1000 nits certified, rather then the 2000 nits of the OEM.
(We've had LightSpace customers have to return them already - the Retail i1D3 works with LightSpace.)

Steve
Paul Butler likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Light Illusion is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 07-15-2019, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Paul Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Old World
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Again gentlemen, thank you one and all for the additional advice, information and especially clarification about Calman's exact postion regarding the Wacom meter, very much appreciated.

I have decided to forego an OEM Rev-B and have ordered the retail iD3 from Amazon, as liberator72 has pointed out it's a good price. I'll report back on what I actually receive (it may possibly be old stock but looking at the tracking, its being flown in from Germany - hopefully thats a good sign!).

I have the spendid Calman Home for Sony and have calibrated my ZD9 with a rather old (8 years plus I think?) Colormunki Photo spectro. The iD3 will hopefully provide at least a confirmation of my existing calibration if not better it, we'll see.
Paul Butler is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 07-15-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WiFi-Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,749
Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler View Post
Again gentlemen, thank you one and all for the additional advice, information and especially clarification about Calman's exact postion regarding the Wacom meter, very much appreciated.



I have decided to forego an OEM Rev-B and have ordered the retail iD3 from Amazon, as liberator72 has pointed out it's a good price. I'll report back on what I actually receive (it may possibly be old stock but looking at the tracking, its being flown in from Germany - hopefully thats a good sign!).



I have the spendid Calman Home for Sony and have calibrated my ZD9 with a rather old (8 years plus I think?) Colormunki Photo spectro. The iD3 will hopefully provide at least a confirmation of my existing calibration if not better it, we'll see.


CalMAN home supports creating meter profile using the color munki spectro.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
WiFi-Spy is online now  
post #10 of 20 Old 07-15-2019, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Paul Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Old World
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
CalMAN home supports creating meter profile using the color munki spectro.
Ahh! I didn't know that, thats interesting. I rather suspect the Colormunki has had its day though, I'm afraid yours truely didn't take as good care of it as it deserved, I'd put money on that its drifted by natural or un-natural causes!

Having said that, the Colormunki calibration looks good but thought I'd give the iD3 a try and see how that compares
Paul Butler is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 07-15-2019, 03:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Sunny (when it's not raining) Devon, U.K.
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post
Do be aware the i1D3's on Amazon are not guaranteed to be RevB, and as they are Retail are 1000 nits certified, rather then the 2000 nits of the OEM.
(We've had LightSpace customers have to return them already - the Retail i1D3 works with LightSpace.)

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler View Post
Again gentlemen, thank you one and all for the additional advice, information and especially clarification about Calman's exact postion regarding the Wacom meter, very much appreciated.

I have decided to forego an OEM Rev-B and have ordered the retail iD3 from Amazon, as liberator72 has pointed out it's a good price. I'll report back on what I actually receive (it may possibly be old stock but looking at the tracking, its being flown in from Germany - hopefully thats a good sign!).

I have the spendid Calman Home for Sony and have calibrated my ZD9 with a rather old (8 years plus I think?) Colormunki Photo spectro. The iD3 will hopefully provide at least a confirmation of my existing calibration if not better it, we'll see.
I know it technically isn't guaranteed to be a Rev-B from Amazon, but for what it's worth, the Retail unit I purchased in April from Amazon was a Rev-B with a March 2019 manufacture date (also dispatched from Germany). I have successfully used it with both CalMAN Home for LG and LightSpace HTL. Paired with the i1Pro2 OEM I got through Light Illusion, I am very happy with the results I've got on my LG OLED.
Paul Butler likes this.
liberator72 is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 07-15-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gwgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
As an X-rite partner, we follow X-rite’s policies and do not use any hacked .DLLs to bypass the meter Unlock codes.
There's no "hacking of .dll's" involved - X-Rite's API has a slot for the instrument unlock code (the i1d3OverrideDeviceDefaults function). If the application can supply it, it can open the instrument.

(As in all such schemes, it's "security by obscurity" stuff - discovering the 8 byte unlock code is the only challenge, and it has to break cover at some stage.)
Vicent likes this.

Author of ArgyllCMS and ArgyllPRO ColorMeter

Last edited by gwgill; 07-15-2019 at 04:45 PM.
gwgill is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 07-15-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WiFi-Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,749
Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
There's no "hacking of .dll's" involved - X-Rite's API has a slot for the instrument unlock code (the i1d3OverrideDeviceDefaults function). If the application can supply it, it can open the instrument.



(As in all such schemes, it's "security by obscurity" stuff - discovering the 8 byte unlock code is the only challenge, and it has to break cover at some stage.)


I was referring to other commercial software that are promoting hacked DLLs.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
WiFi-Spy is online now  
post #14 of 20 Old 07-16-2019, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Light Illusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,781
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
As has been pointed out, using different dlls is, well, just using different dlls.
And we have been around 'reverse engineering' before...
I have no idea why you choose to keep banging on about things like this?

And if you use the X-Rite SDK, how come you do not have AIO Mode, etc?
You seem to only have Sync on/off/auto as options?

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Light Illusion is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 07-16-2019, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Light Illusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,781
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Light Illusion is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 07-16-2019, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Paul Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Old World
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It just arrived, Retail Rev-B, January 2019 - surprised its slightly older but not a problem, glad to have it at the reduced price, thanks liberator72!

So much smaller and lighter than my Colormunki spectro.......!
liberator72 likes this.
Paul Butler is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 07-16-2019, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Vishwa Somayaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Edmonton,Alberta Canada
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post
Oh - and i's probably worth reminding you about this post:



Steve
Nice to see this. It puts a new(or old!) perspective on the subject. I have been here nearly 20 years but didn't know this fact.
Vishwa Somayaji is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 07-16-2019, 11:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Sunny (when it's not raining) Devon, U.K.
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler View Post
It just arrived, Retail Rev-B, January 2019 - surprised its slightly older but not a problem, glad to have it at the reduced price, thanks liberator72!

So much smaller and lighter than my Colormunki spectro.......!
Strange that you got a January 2019 unit now when I got a March 2019 unit as I purchased mine in April, but I'm glad you managed to get the Rev-B nonetheless. As I said, I matched mine with an i1Pro2 to manually calibrate my 7 series LG OLED (first time I've ever calibrated myself) and am extremely happy with the result. I have a C9 arriving at the end of the week so look forward to seeing what I can achieve. I've always paid someone to calibrate my displays, I don't feel I need to do that anymore!
liberator72 is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 07-16-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gwgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post
Nice to see this. It puts a new(or old!) perspective on the subject. I have been here nearly 20 years but didn't know this fact.
It's called Adversarial interoperability, and it's a good thing that should be strongly supported by everyone who wants to see competition and choice, rather than monopolies...

Author of ArgyllCMS and ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
gwgill is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 07-16-2019, 06:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Vishwa Somayaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Edmonton,Alberta Canada
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
It's called Adversarial interoperability, and it's a good thing that should be strongly supported by everyone who wants to see competition and choice, rather than monopolies...
I agree.
Vishwa Somayaji is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Display Calibration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off