• 1 Post By ConnecTEDDD

post #1 of 16 Old 07-31-2019, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 154
X-Rite i1Pro 1 Beamer Holder

Can anyone tell me if the beamer Holder for the X-Rite i1Pro will work with the X-Rite i1 Pro 2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-31-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
If you mean the X-Rite factory holder, maybe not. Google "I1 Pro Beamer Holder", and images will show how the stand holds the I1 Pro. Although the Pro 2 has mounting notches similar to the Pro, their positions are different, and may not allow a Pro 2 to attach properly. The mounting scheme for the Pro 2's beamer holder is very different.

SpectraCal used to sell a tripod mounting bracket that works with both the Pro and Pro 2. Perhaps Portrait still has some available.
AdamAttewell likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 16 Old 07-31-2019, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
If you mean the X-Rite factory holder, maybe not. Google "I1 Pro Beamer Holder", and images will show how the stand holds the I1 Pro. Although the Pro 2 has mounting notches similar to the Pro, their positions are different, and may not allow a Pro 2 to attach properly. The mounting scheme for the Pro 2's beamer holder is very different.

SpectraCal used to sell a tripod mounting bracket that works with both the Pro and Pro 2. Perhaps Portrait still has some available.

Thanks for the info, I already have a beamer holder for my i1 Pro 1 & am considering purchasing an i1 Pro 2 used at a great price but it does not come with the beamer holder which I hear is expensive. I suppose I could make something myself, I guess as long it its pointing at the correct part of the screen it will do the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-31-2019, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@Rolls-Royce do you know if the EFI ES2000 is the same is the i1 Pro2?
post #5 of 16 Old 07-31-2019, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
It appears to be.
AdamAttewell likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #6 of 16 Old 08-01-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3002 Post(s)
Liked: 3701
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
Thanks for the info, I already have a beamer holder for my i1 Pro 1 & am considering purchasing an i1 Pro 2 used at a great price but it does not come with the beamer holder which I hear is expensive. I suppose I could make something myself, I guess as long it its pointing at the correct part of the screen it will do the job.
Hi Adam,

The i1Beamer is not compatible with i1PRO2, because is shorter (and different) the i1PRO2 to the optics area you have to rotate for the meter to lock with i1Beamer, see the pictures and you will notice it:

Also to initialize the i1PRO2 requires its own calibration place to read the white tile there and apply the Built-in Wavelength Calibration Technology (Self-Check & Correction), while with i1PRO1 you were able to perform meter initialize (dark current reading) with only i1Beamer attached.
Rolls-Royce and AdamAttewell like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 08-01-2019 at 12:07 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-01-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Rolls-Royce do you know if the EFI ES2000 is the same is the i1 Pro2?
EFI ES2000 is a branded OEM i1PRO2.

Usually the ones you can find for sale are coming from closed small printing related companies where they were using the meters a lot.

Generally, the EFI meters you may find at ebay or stores, they are all at least 3-5 years old since EFI has discontinued to sell these branded OEM i1PRO2 a lot of years, you can see that detail to their sticker:

The sticker says when the meter has manufactured.

Also some EFI models, because it's a company for print industry, come with UV-Cut version of the meter with disabled some i1PRO2 actual capabilities, like the initial meter calibration which correct small drift. So the calibration software see these meters as normal i1PRO1 (working in compatibility mode).

Also testing the meter with i1Diagnostic will check the internal tungsten lamp (which is not working when you calibrate a display) by measuring the white tile, this doesn't confirm anything about the meter performance, even a meter drop (without any visible outer case damage mark) can bring the meter to read out of specs.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #8 of 16 Old 08-01-2019, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
EFI ES2000 is a branded OEM i1PRO2.

Usually the ones you can find for sale are coming from closed small printing related companies where they were using the meters a lot.

Generally, the EFI meters you may find at ebay or stores, they are all at least 3-5 years old since EFI has discontinued to sell these branded OEM i1PRO2 a lot of years, you can see that detail to their sticker:

The sticker says when the meter has manufactured.

Also some EFI models, because it's a company for print industry, come with UV-Cut version of the meter with disabled some i1PRO2 actual capabilities, like the initial meter calibration which correct small drift. So the calibration software see these meters as normal i1PRO1 (working in compatibility mode).

Also testing the meter with i1Diagnostic will check the internal tungsten lamp (which is not working when you calibrate a display) by measuring the white tile, this doesn't confirm anything about the meter performance, even a meter drop (without any visible outer case damage mark) can bring the meter to read out of specs.

Many thanks Ted for all the info, I am really debating if it is worth spending the money seeing as I have a perfectly working i1 Pro 1 that has just been certified by X-Rite.

I was going to use this to profile the i1 Pro 2 but from reading the i1 Pro 2 offers very little benefit when measuring emissive displays compared to the i1 Pro 1.

I see the dark reading does not need to be taken as often with the i1 Pro 2 & can read up to 1200 nits compared to the dark reading every 10 mins & only 300 nits for the i1 Pro 1. No self calibration feature either but they seem to measure the same with dark readings.

I currently just use my i1 Pro 1 to profile my i1 Display Pro so I dont think I will gain much of an advantage using an i1 Pro 2.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-01-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Many thanks Ted for all the info, I am really debating if it is worth spending the money seeing as I have a perfectly working i1 Pro 1 that has just been certified by X-Rite.

I was going to use this to profile the i1 Pro 2 but from reading the i1 Pro 2 offers very little benefit when measuring emissive displays compared to the i1 Pro 1.

I see the dark reading does not need to be taken as often with the i1 Pro 2 & can read up to 1200 nits compared to the dark reading every 10 mins & only 300 nits for the i1 Pro 1. No self calibration feature either but they seem to measure the same with dark readings.

I currently just use my i1 Pro 1 to profile my i1 Display Pro so I dont think I will gain much of an advantage using an i1 Pro 2.
Hi Adam,

The requirement for dark reading is not a problem, since you will use the spectro to create a meter correction table, so you will use it for just 2-3 minutes max, after the initialization.

i1PRO1 is fine for about 3-4 minutes, while the timer can say 10 minutes, it will drift after that 3-4 minute period.

The peak output capability for 1200 nits of i1PRO2 or 5000 nits of i1PRO3, is a capability not required when you will use the meter to create meter correction table since always you will create the meter profile with about ~100 nits white pattern with HDR displays.

There a lot of info for X-Rite meters explained there. (about how Built-in Wavelength Calibration Technology works etc.)

For example, X-Rite i1PRO1/i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo/Design just using the calibration plate (ceramic white tile) for just to take a dark reading (and can be OK for about 3-4 minutes after the dark reading, before starting to drift slightly). i1PRO2 is more stable over the time.

With X-Rite i1PRO1/i1Studio/ColorMunki Photo/Design, you can use a dark surface where the meter will contact to take the dark reading, for example when you will have mount the meter to a tripod, you can close the meter optics with a dark cloth, a CD case or your finger for example... while with i1PRO2 if you do the same, since it will require its own calibration plate with the serial matched ceramic tile to initialize.
AdamAttewell likes this.

post #10 of 16 Old 08-01-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No self calibration feature either but they seem to measure the same with dark readings.

i1PRO2 has a reference spectrum of the (green) wavelength LED stored in its firmware, during the wavelength calibration the driver computes a wavelength offset in the sensor to wavelength interpolation tables to ensure that the measured spectrum of the green LED matches that of the firmware reference. Too large a shift and it will error out. Zero shift and nothing has moved in the hardware.

Instrument can automatically self-diagnose and correct for small shifts as well as identify re-calibration needs.

Damaged instruments can be identified for required repair.

Older generations (i1PRO1) don't have that feature, they just use the calibration plate to take a dark reading only.

If you have already a fresh calibrated from X-Rite Repairing Center (no other company can re-certify X-Rite instruments, of any model.) then you will be OK with your current i1PRO1, so worth only to get i1PRO2 if you will find to sell your current i1PRO1 with good price.
AdamAttewell likes this.

post #11 of 16 Old 08-01-2019, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
i1PRO2 has a reference spectrum of the (green) wavelength LED stored in its firmware, during the wavelength calibration the driver computes a wavelength offset in the sensor to wavelength interpolation tables to ensure that the measured spectrum of the green LED matches that of the firmware reference. Too large a shift and it will error out. Zero shift and nothing has moved in the hardware.

Instrument can automatically self-diagnose and correct for small shifts as well as identify re-calibration needs.

Damaged instruments can be identified for required repair.

Older generations (i1PRO1) don't have that feature, they just use the calibration plate to take a dark reading only.

If you have already a fresh calibrated from X-Rite Repairing Center (no other company can re-certify X-Rite instruments, of any model.) then you will be OK with your current i1PRO1, so worth only to get i1PRO2 if you will find to sell your current i1PRO1 with good price.

Many thanks again Ted for all that info, as I am only doing calibration for a hobby I dont want to spend large amount of money as I will never see a return on my investment.

I can buy an EFI ES2000 Rev E which was manufactured in 2012 so it will require re-certification but even with the cost of re-certification I will save a considerable amount buying new.

Only thing I do not know is if it is the UV-cut version.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-01-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Many thanks again Ted for all that info, as I am only doing calibration for a hobby I dont want to spend large amount of money as I will never see a return on my investment.

I can buy an EFI ES2000 Rev E which was manufactured in 2012 so it will require re-certification but even with the cost of re-certification I will save a considerable amount buying new.

Only thing I do not know is if it is the UV-cut version.
Its better idea to ask X-Rite also if they can re-certify custom branded OEM meters (EFI) and if the ceramic tile may need replacement after 7 years (question from their experience).
AdamAttewell likes this.

post #13 of 16 Old 08-05-2019, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Its better idea to ask X-Rite also if they can re-certify custom branded OEM meters (EFI) and if the ceramic tile may need replacement after 7 years (question from their experience).

So I asked X-Rite about rectification on the i1Pro 2 & they told me this?

Quote:
Hello Adam,

as you can see in attached service policy, i1Pro2 devices are not either recertified or repaired
but are replaced with new devices

So am I understanding this correctly, they will just send me another meter instead of correcting my meter?

They have not mentioned any prices yet but this seems like its going to be expensive.

post #14 of 16 Old 08-05-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I asked X-Rite about rectification on the i1Pro 2 & they told me this?

So am I understanding this correctly, they will just send me another meter instead of correcting my meter?

They have not mentioned any prices yet but this seems like its going to be expensive.
Hi Adam,

Have you inform them that you have the EFI branded model? ...If they can re-certify only X-Rite (OEM/Retail) and not branded OEM?

I haven't heard again that X-Rite is not providing re-calibration for the i1PRO2. I have many friends who has send i1PRO1/2 for re-certification to X-Rites European Service Center (Switzerland, Germany) including myself.

Can you find out more details?

post #15 of 16 Old 08-05-2019, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi Adam,

Have you inform them that you have the EFI branded model? ...If they can re-certify only X-Rite (OEM/Retail) and not branded OEM?

I haven't heard again that X-Rite is not providing re-calibration for the i1PRO2. I have many friends who has send i1PRO1/2 for re-certification to X-Rites European Service Center (Switzerland, Germany) including myself.

Can you find out more details?

I ended up purchasing an X-Rite branded i1Pro2 instead so I see no issue there.

I sent you an email.

Last edited by AdamAttewell; 08-05-2019 at 05:06 PM.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-05-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For i1PRO1 users, the re-certification takes 4-6 week and you get your own meter back.

For i1PRO2 users, they provide 2 options:

1) To wait 4-6 weeks and get your own meter back.

or

2) Get an another user meter which has been re-certified, so its faster, 3-5 days only.

Also the 2 options about what you want:

1) Only re-certification and if the meter need repair to inform you the additional cost of the repail.

2) Re-certification+Repair, which is including to the price any repairing cost.

So you select the 1) when the meter is working or 2) when you have a problem with the meter and not working.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page