Need help calibrating PS4 Pro with Vizio E50x-E1 series TV. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help calibrating PS4 Pro with Vizio E50x-E1 series TV.

So I've had this TV for a few months now and finally bought a PS4 Pro yesterday. I got a few settings I'm not used to seeing since I'm new to all this calibration stuff. I just have some questions and any help to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is there any point to using Full RGB on a TV(not a monitor)for console gaming?

2. If there is a point to question 1 what is the quickest way to find out if your TV supports Full RGB range?

3. The Color Space settings for my TV are Auto, YCbCr, and RGB. The display settings I can choose on my PS4 Pro are: RGB Range: Auto, Limited, Full
Resolution: Auto, 2160p-YUV420, 2160p-RGB.
Which is best to choose for both devices?

4. I want to also make sure I can get the absolute best image quality while gaming so what's some good test pattern/images I can use to accurately calibrate my display with brightness, contrast, color etc...?(looking for something I could hopefully pop up in a browser on my PS4 and calibrate from there.)

I have done searches from other sites for calibrating my display and to me they just seem "off". I've heard there are some great technological wizards here on AVS Forums that can help explain it better to dummies like me xD. I really appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and hopefully help me out with getting everything set up correctly :-)

Last edited by UndeadCreepshow; 08-04-2019 at 02:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3002 Post(s)
Liked: 3701
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndeadCreepshow View Post
So I've had this TV for a few months now and finally bought a PS4 Pro yesterday. I got a few settings I'm not used to seeing since I'm new to all this calibration stuff. I just have some questions and any help to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is there any point to using Full RGB on a TV(not a monitor)for console gaming?

2. If there is a point to question 1 what is the quickest way to find out if your TV supports Full RGB range?

3. The Color Space settings for my TV are Auto, YCbCr, and RGB. The display settings I can choose on my PS4 Pro are: RGB Range: Auto, Limited, Full
Resolution: Auto, 2160p-YUV420, 2160p-RGB.
Which is best to choose for both devices?

4. I want to also make sure I can get the absolute best image quality while gaming so what's some good test pattern/images I can use to accurately calibrate my display with brightness, contrast, color etc...?(looking for something I could hopefully pop up in a browser on my PS4 and calibrate from there.)

I have done searches from other sites for calibrating my display and to me they just seem "off". I've heard there are some great technological wizards here on AVS Forums that can help explain it better to dummies like me xD. I really appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and hopefully help me out with getting everything set up correctly :-)
Hi,

About your questions:

1) No Point. Everything works in video levels in movie delivery for home playback.

2) If you TV has somewhere PC Mode setting.

3) Games are using 60p while movies 24p. With 2160p60 you are limited to 8-bit with RGB because the bandwidth required for the connection is 17.82 Gbit. TV's/Players chips for input/output signal with HDMI 2.0 can transfer up to 18 GBit so you can't do 10 bit RGB with 2160p (8bit is not enough for HDR also)

Select 2160p60 YCbCr 4:2:0 and PS4 with output automatically 10 or 12 bit.

4) You can start by evaluating with some reference video patterns (not still images or using apps are webrowser, youtube) from your player drive or Media files from USB etc.

You can do a basic calibration doing that checking your levels (black/white/color channels) for clipping, crushing near black etc.

Next step is to use instrument and software, see there: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post57368134

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #3 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
2) If you TV has somewhere PC Mode setting.
[/URL]
One of the inputs on my TV says "Computer". Should I use that input and enable full range on my PS4 then set my PS4 resolution to the 2160p-YUV420? Or how should I go about setting that up since my TV does have a "Computer" input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One of the inputs on my TV says "Computer". Should I use that input and enable full range on my PS4 then set my PS4 resolution to the 2160p-YUV420? Or how should I go about setting that up since my TV does have a "Computer" input?
See what your TV manual say for that input, if its per-configured for Full Range signal. (but helpful only if you have plans to connect a PC)

When TV works in 'Computer' mode a lot of signal processing steps are bypassed, so calibration controls will be disabled also, the calibration controls where the processing works in YCbCr internally to the TV. For that reason you have less latency ...because video processing video path is 'shorter'.

RGB is different colorspace from YCbCr.

Set as I suggested you above, its the best setting.

HDR10 need 10-bit so you can't transfer 2160p60 RGB 10-bit with 2.0 HDMI chips.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 08-12-2019 at 02:36 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Set as I suggested you above, its the best setting.

HDR need 10-bit so you can transfer 2160p60 RGB 10-bit with 2.0 HDMI chips.
Weird thing with that is when I trying enable the HDR setting on my PS4 it says my TV doesn't support HDR even though it's a 4K TV. I Don't know if that would ultimately affect what resolution and color space I would need to use.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Weird thing with that is when I trying enable the HDR setting on my PS4 it says my TV doesn't support HDR even though it's a 4K TV. I Don't know if that would ultimately affect what resolution and color space I would need to use.
You have to configure the HDMI port of the TV where you send the PS4 signal.

With Vizio probably it will see somewhere 'HDMI Color Subsampling' ON/OFF, now it should be Off.

This setting swaps between two different pixel clock rates of video signal transfer, which will affect the supported resolutions/bit-depth per colorspace also.

With HDMI Color Subsampling 'ON', the HDMI Input will be clocked @ 600 MHz and capable for up to 18 Gbps data rate.

With HDMI Color Subsampling 'OFF', the HDMI Input will be clocked @ 300 MHz and capable for up to 10.2 Gbps data rate, so with OFF and 2160p60 it can't pass HDR10, so PS4 says you don't have HDR capable TV.

post #7 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You have to configure the HDMI port of the TV where you send the PS4 signal.

With Vizio probably it will see somewhere 'HDMI Color Subsampling' ON/OFF, now it should be Off.

This setting swaps between two different pixel clock rates of video signal transfer, which will affect the supported resolutions/bit-depth per colorspace also.

With HDMI Color Subsampling 'ON', the HDMI Input will be clocked @ 600 MHz and capable for up to 18 Gbps data rate.

With HDMI Color Subsampling 'OFF', the HDMI Input will be clocked @ 300 MHz and capable for up to 10.2 Gbps data rate, so with OFF and 2160p60 it can't pass HDR10, so PS4 says you don't have HDR capable TV.
So after doing a bit of research my TV model in fact does not support HDR. Under the input I have connected to my PS4 the only special option is Ultra HD Color. I enabled that and restarted my PS4 and it still says this TV doesn't support HDR. I looked up my model TV and in the manual it does say there is no HDR support, only 4k with the Ultra HD Color. It says the HDMI port I have my PS4 hooked into supports HDMI 2.0, 600Mhz pixel clock rate, [email protected] 4:4:4 8-bit, [email protected] 4:2:2 12-bit and [email protected] 4:2:0 12-bit. Hope that helps a bit more. Sorry for taking up this much of your time I'm just trying to make sure I get everything set up right. I really do appreciate you taking the time to help out.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So after doing a bit of research my TV model in fact does not support HDR. Under the input I have connected to my PS4 the only special option is Ultra HD Color. I enabled that and restarted my PS4 and it still says this TV doesn't support HDR. I looked up my model TV and in the manual it does say there is no HDR support, only 4k with the Ultra HD Color. It says the HDMI port I have my PS4 hooked into supports HDMI 2.0, 600Mhz pixel clock rate, [email protected] 4:4:4 8-bit, [email protected] 4:2:2 12-bit and [email protected] 4:2:0 12-bit. Hope that helps a bit more. Sorry for taking up this much of your time I'm just trying to make sure I get everything set up right. I really do appreciate you taking the time to help out.
Ok, HDR10 2160p60 with SDR 2160p60 signal has exact the same data transfer rates, the only difference is the HDR10 static metadata.

So even your TV is not HDR-capable, the setup settings will be exact the same I posted above and keep ON the Deep color (aka 600Hz).

post #9 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok, HDR10 2160p60 with SDR 2160p60 signal has exact the same data transfer rates, the only difference is the HDR10 static metadata.

So even your TV is not HDR-capable, the setup settings will be exact the same I posted above and keep ON the Deep color (aka 600Hz).
Okay just to be clear, keep Ultra HD Color on, set my tvs color space to Ycbcr and set my PS4 range to limited not full then set the PS4s resolution to the 2160p-YUV420?
post #10 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay just to be clear, keep Ultra HD Color on, set my tvs color space to Ycbcr and set my PS4 range to limited not full then set the PS4s resolution to the 2160p-YUV420?
Yes, but since you output YCbCr colorspace, the RGB range setting is not affecting YCbCr, so you can set the PS4 to limited or Auto as it not affecting the YCbCr output.

The RGB setting, It will affect only probably the Menu of PS4 before you start a game or movie, I have checked all these with signal analyzer when PS4 released but I don't remember that detail. Set it to Limited to be sure that everything will be at video TV legal levels.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Yes, but since you output YCbCr colorspace, the RGB range setting is not affecting YCbCr, so you can set the PS4 to limited or Auto as it not affecting the YCbCr output.

The RGB setting, It will affect only probably the Menu of PS4 before you start a game or movie, I have checked all these with signal analyzer when PS4 released but I don't remember that detail. Set it to Limited to be sure that everything will be at video TV legal levels.
Okay sweet! I was just curious if you could link me some good reference images to calibrate my TV brightness and stuff with that I could add to a USB stick? I've looked around the internet and there's a lot and not really sure which ones to use. If not it's totally fine. You've already done enough and I just wanted to say I greatly appreciate all your help!
post #12 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay sweet! I was just curious if you could link me some good reference images to calibrate my TV brightness and stuff with that I could add to a USB stick? I've looked around the internet and there's a lot and not really sure which ones to use. If not it's totally fine. You've already done enough and I just wanted to say I greatly appreciate all your help!
Above I wrote to you above, not use images, images are PC Levels so all the levels will completely different (since 0 is black while in video levels 16 is black).

Also Images Viewer threat all image files as Data Range (0-255).

YouTube re-encodes everything you upload, to reduce the file size so this add digital errors.

So, you need MKV video patterns encoded for video levels (REC.709) ro load to our PS4 USB.

post #13 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Above I wrote to you above, not use images, images are PC Levels so all the levels will completely different (since 0 is black while in video levels 16 is black).

Also Images Viewer threat all image files as Data Range (0-255).

YouTube re-encodes everything you upload, to reduce the file size so this add digital errors.

So, you need MKV video patterns encoded for video levels (REC.709) ro load to our PS4 USB.
Okay I seen the AVS 709 calibration videos on these forums you can burn to blu-ray or DVD with many different versions and file formats but currently burning anything to DVD is not an option since my pc is not working at the moment. Is there a version where the video files would play from a USB stick and let me calibrate that way instead?
post #14 of 14 Old 08-04-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay I seen the AVS 709 calibration videos on these forums you can burn to blu-ray or DVD with many different versions and file formats but currently burning anything to DVD is not an option since my pc is not working at the moment. Is there a version where the video files would play from a USB stick and let me calibrate that way instead?
Download the MP4 version, I see that PS4 can play both MKV and MP4.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page