Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-06-2019, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Calibration Newbie

Hi

I have owned an Xrite Spectro and colorimeter for a few years now and never had the opportunity to use them properly. I am a Digital Imaging Technician who is constantly being asked whether the monitors on-set have been calibrated. I always do a basic calibration with the PLUGE bars and Blue only function and that seems to satisfy the needs of most, knowing full well that this is not actually calibrating the broadcast monitors. I usually have my own personal monitors (Sony OLED A170 and FSI DM240) professionally calibrated. I want to be able to calibrate the various broadcast monitors with a high degree of accuracy and be able to say confidently to the Direct and DOP that, Yes these monitors are calibrated!

Where do I start? LightSpace CMS LTE? Are there any good step by step tutorials for probe profiling and basic calibration for broadcast monitors?

Thanks in advance!

Simon (UK)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-06-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3002 Post(s)
Liked: 3701
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestWing11 View Post
Hi

I have owned an Xrite Spectro and colorimeter for a few years now and never had the opportunity to use them properly. I am a Digital Imaging Technician who is constantly being asked whether the monitors on-set have been calibrated. I always do a basic calibration with the PLUGE bars and Blue only function and that seems to satisfy the needs of most, knowing full well that this is not actually calibrating the broadcast monitors. I usually have my own personal monitors (Sony OLED A170 and FSI DM240) professionally calibrated. I want to be able to calibrate the various broadcast monitors with a high degree of accuracy and be able to say confidently to the Direct and DOP that, Yes these monitors are calibrated!

Where do I start? LightSpace CMS LTE? Are there any good step by step tutorials for probe profiling and basic calibration for broadcast monitors?

Thanks in advance!

Simon (UK)
Hi Simon,

About meter profiling with LightSpace see there: http://www.flandersscientific.com/ca...250-Matrix.pdf

About patch generation:

About how to use your FSI Internal LUT capabilities quide: http://www.flandersscientific.com/ca...ce-Resolve.pdf

Your Sony has only RGB balance, nothing to fix color gamut errors, so it will need to use 3D LUT (s/w) loaded from Resolve (or external LUT box)

Some quick LightSpace menu explanation you can find there : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post57763422

The LightSpace LTE you mentioned, can direct load to your FSI (FSI is using LightSpace for all their factory monitor calibrations also) and control Resolve for patch generator, or upload LUT's post-production LUT boxes.

Sony has White Balance software to perform multipoint RGB balance gamma: https://www.abelcine.com/articles/bl...r-sony-monitor

...but its not supporting i1Display PRO colorimeter, its support only the i1PRO spectro's, because are spectros lucking to measure accurately lower luminance levels, you can't really trust them for RGB balance of below 30-40% Gray, for that reason we use them only for meter profiling and not for stand-alone instruments for the whole calibration.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page