Newbie/amateur calibration advice for PC using TV-as-monitor and Z9D in home theater? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-06-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Newbie/amateur calibration advice for PC using TV-as-monitor and Z9D in home theater?

I'm a newbie to calibration, so much so that I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon doing research here and I feel like I'm still barely literate! My use case is a little unusual, so I could use some advice:

TL/DR: Need to calibrate a Samsung TV used as a computer monitor for better photo editing and also want to calibrate my Sony Z9D, but my needs are not exacting enough to justify more than about $500 on equipment/software.

What I've learned is that there are a lot of hardware/software options in the calibration space and I've gotten a strong impression that a lot of the people in this subforum have gone deep down the calibration rabbit hole. Props to them, but I'm not there and I'm hoping to get some advice for my much-less-exacting needs.

My primary purpose for getting into calibration is for photo editing on my PC (Win 10 using a 49" curved Samsung 4K LED as a display: specifically a 2016-era UN49KS8500F). I primarily edit in Paint.Net and Corel AfterShot Pro 3/PaintShop Pro x9 (I'd consider myself an beginner-level prosumer, but I don't even do enough of it to justify Adobe's crazy licensing costs!). I intend to have a bunch of my best shots printed for display around the house, but I won't be doing my own printing so I don't need to worry about calibration of that equipment. Instead, the goal is to have a reasonably calibrated/accurate edit environment so I don't get any nasty surprises when I send the images off to places like CanvasOnDemand to be printed.

My secondary purpose is for calibrating my Sony 75Z9D home theater display (and maybe my LG UH608500, but that set is so handicapped by its backlight/IPS panel combo that I'm not sure it'll be worth much effort). Not a critical viewer and my eyes aren't good enough to appreciate a truly-perfect display anyway, so the goal here is a calibration that's reasonably-better than could be had with a WOW or similar calibration disc.

Tertiary purpose is calibration of my Surface Book and other random devices.

Based on the above and all my research thus far, I'm thinking maybe my best option would be these three put together?
+Retail i1D3 (X-Rite software with ambient light monitoring/adjustment is a huge draw in my case because the lighting in my home office varies wildly throughout the day, which is what would steer me away from the more accurate/consistent OEM sensor)
+HCFR (free, as long as it's not too difficult to use)
+Chromecast (for pattern generation on the TVs)
+Maybe the new S&M UHD disc?

The idea of an calibrated/higher-accuracy i1D3 from ChromaPure has its appeals, but I'm not sure if my use-case would be enough to justify the price difference.

Any advice? Are there any special "gotchas" I should be aware of in using a TV as a computer display or calibrating HDR on my Z9D? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page