Calibrate pro shop vs me? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-30-2019, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Calibrate pro shop vs me?

Is it worth me getting a shop to professionally calibrate my new gaming monitor @ $450 AUD for the service, or should I purchase the Spyder 5 pro or other tools for under $350 AUD here and do it myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-01-2019, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Generally, it depends on how good the professional is. If he’s very good, then I’d hire him and get the job done properly. A Spyder 5 or a xrite i1 Display Pro aren’t sufficient alone. You would have to buy a spectroradiometer, software, test pattern generator and you still wouldn’t reach the accuracy that a professional could give you. Just be sure that he is good and he uses pro level meters and TPG (jeti/CR/Klein/Accupel/Murideo). For a gaming only display, I don’t know if I would even bother to calibrate it, as I don’t even know if software houses do some kind of color grading on a specific BT reference. I’m not a gamer anymore. Anyway, if you want to calibrate it just hire a real pro.

TVs: Pioneer PDP-LX5090H, LG OLED55C8PLA | SintoAmp: Pioneer VSX-921 | BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT260EG | External LUT box: Entertainment Experience eeColor | Softwares: Light Illusion Lightspace HTP, Portrait Displays CalMAN Home Enthusiast 2018 R3, HCFR, DisplayCAL | Probes: x-rite i1 Pro 2 - i1 Display Pro OEM B-02, basICColor DISCUS | Test Pattern Generator: DVDO AVLab TPG
post #3 of 3 Old 09-02-2019, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3123 Post(s)
Liked: 3862
Quote:
Originally Posted by narrn001 View Post
Is it worth me getting a shop to professionally calibrate my new gaming monitor @ $450 AUD for the service, or should I purchase the Spyder 5 pro or other tools for under $350 AUD here and do it myself?

Hi, what monitor model do you have? Does it have parametric calibration controls? Usually monitors have only a global RGB balance only, its not possible to use only these controls to handle the whole grayscale RGB balance/gamma and color gamut later.

If you don't have calibration controls, then your PC VCGT (Video Card Gamma Table) should be used, but doing this, it will fix only RGB balance and gamma of your grayscale. Also if something happen with a VGA driver update or windows update (rarely but it can happen) or windows re-install, you will loose that calibration.

If you calibrator with try to use ICC, to manage color gamut also, ICC will work only with applications which can read properly ICC correction, like PhotoShop etc, games will not use ICC.

Another way which may work is by using 3D LUTs for Direct3D and OpenGL applications using ReShade.

https://hub.displaycal.net/wiki/3d-l...using-reshade/

But there compatibility list of games and probably your calibrator will aware from that solution for sure:

https://reshade.me/compatibility

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page