LG OLED 2019 PQ Curve Upload Free Template for DeviceControl Interface - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 10-30-2019, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
You have to find out movie content with known to you numbers of the mastering display peak and MaxCLL per title.

Knowing these details it will be easier to see what parameter to adjust per movie and then try to spot for differences.

If you have a list of ~5 of you favorite movies you will use, post the movie names and I will reply with the metadata, as I have a private list with 99% of the movies HDR10 metadata of the market.

Also it be great if LG in the future make these parameters accessible from the Normal TV Menu, without need to use a special free tool, or to buy any software to be able to changed these parameters.

If LG will do this, a lot of more users will try this capabilities, and we will have a wider number of people which will test and report back their findings/recommendation/ideas etc.

It will be a good example for other TV manufactures to start provide similar parameters to their TV's menu also, so each user to have control of what the TV's PQ Tone Mapping is doing, as there no any standard and the addition of W-subpixel and low color volume makes the stuff more complex.

LG is responsible also to provide proper documentation of these features with examples and the company which support officialy these features to release detailed documentation of these features to all the users who pay to use these capabilties.

Since now, some months before the announcement of LG 2020 models, the available documentation from official way is very limited: https://kb.portrait.com/help/lg-2019...m-tone-mapping

and it was incorrectly written until I pointed out to be corrected, see there: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post58518000

While that tool is free, I have written a very large amount of info for people to understand these features and I have zero connection with LG or Portrait Display.
I believe I just updated my TV's Cinema and Game modes. The template reverted to the default values after I hit to upload, so I assume they were sent. I'll have to see how it looks from here. The only HDR content I am familiar with enough is Planet Earth II. Our toddlers love to ask to "watch animals." I haven't seen anything else enough in HDR to have a decent baseline comparison other than to check for clipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto84 View Post
Hi Ted, i measure 800nit peak brightness on the technicolor mode and 700 nits calibrated to D65 on hdr cinema mode on my c9, why is that?

Is it recommended to do a meter profile for hdr and which gamma should i use to do the profile for sdr 2.2 or 2.4?

Thank for sharing your knowledge, apology as i am off topic

Thank again for your sharing knowledge
I believe I heard the technicolor uses a different white point that is more bluish than D65. Since the OLED panel's native white point leans more toward blue, you have less luminance loss calibrating to that alternate white point. 800 to 700 does seem like a larger difference than I would expect as a lay person with little to no calibration knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 10-31-2019, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3428 Post(s)
Liked: 4248
Quote:
Hi Ted, i measure 800nit peak brightness on the technicolor mode and 700 nits calibrated to D65 on hdr cinema mode on my c9, why is that?

Is it recommended to do a meter profile for hdr and which gamma should i use to do the profile for sdr 2.2 or 2.4?

Thank for sharing your knowledge, apology as i am off topic

Thank again for your sharing knowledge
Hi,

Are you using the standard D65 REC.2020 when you take measurements per each picture mode?

Are both modes calibrated?

See if you have disabled the AI Brightness which is available to HDR Cinema Home mode.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #33 of 39 Old 10-31-2019, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post
I believe I just updated my TV's Cinema and Game modes. The template reverted to the default values after I hit to upload, so I assume they were sent. I'll have to see how it looks from here. The only HDR content I am familiar with enough is Planet Earth II. Our toddlers love to ask to "watch animals." I haven't seen anything else enough in HDR to have a decent baseline comparison other than to check for clipping.
Yes, its correct, as there no feedback with the TV to see which settings are being send after you will click to upload.

If you follow the instructions it will work fine.

After you will upload custom parameters, disable calibration to see the effect.

Quote:

I believe I heard the technicolor uses a different white point that is more bluish than D65. Since the OLED panel's native white point leans more toward blue, you have less luminance loss calibrating to that alternate white point. 800 to 700 does seem like a larger difference than I would expect as a lay person with little to no calibration knowledge.
Yes, its using a white point not ideal for home content playback, its better to select the HDR Cinema Home. (its ideal for content creators)

Quote:
Planet Earth II HDR10 static metadata infoframe has 'zeros' to all it's Mastering Display Color Volume or Content Metadata. It's a conversion of HLG -> HDR10 and its peak output doesn't exceed 1000nits.

Mastering has been performed from [email protected] (UK) which are using LightSpace for Calibration (it's at the LightSpace's customer list) using a Dolby PRM-4220 Professional Reference Monitor (Dolby talking that one of their monitor features is the capability to use LightSpace for its calibration), which is an SDR 1080p but high-brightness panel, it can simulate 12-bit by using dual modulation, capable of 100% DCI-P3 gamut coverage, it can output about 600 nits calibrated, but because it's RGB-LED it's not having the blacks of Sony's RGB OLED BVM-X300 mastering monitor.

Dolby Monitor has 2x 65-Point Cube 3D LUT table uploading capability (same 3D LUT Cube size as eeColor 3D LUT Box we have in consumer market), so they used an HLG 3D LUT with FilmLight's Baselight color grading suite.

When you use a 600 nit monitor for grading HDR content you can still grade for higher nits (for 1000 nits) if you not clip above 600 nits, leaving the highlights unclipped and evaluate using the software histograms.

But after the color grading, someone missed to perform the metadata analysis, as for finding the Content Metadata (MaxCLL & MaxFALL) you need to use the RAW 16-bit TIFF master picture frame stills of the Planet Earth II and the calculation should be performed before encoding to UHD-BD HEVC.

Since you will use that movie, LG will see that Maximum Display Luminance and MaxCLL are both signaled as zero (as defined for un-available), and it will assumes and use 4000 nits values as 'Maximum Display Luminance', so your changes will have to be focused to the parameter of 4000 nits.

But you can try also that: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post58685594
chros73 likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 11-01-2019, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Tedd, hope you well and thank for being so helpful by the way.
I did not calibrate the technicolor mode.
The hdr cinema is calibrated to d65 2.2 gamma and i get 720 nits calibrated.

Is there any advantage using 42 point over 20 point grayscale on hdr and sdr with calman ?
I understand its might get the panel to drift more on the hdr calibration.
post #35 of 39 Old 11-02-2019, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Is there any advantage using 42 point over 20 point grayscale on hdr and sdr with calman ?
More that 20-Point in HDR it will not help as the display will not be so stable over to all that time or multiple measurements.

More that 20-Point in SDR may help, but always look a grayscale ramp pattern when the measurements will be finished, to confirm that there no visible issues like banding or dis-colorations:

post #36 of 39 Old 11-03-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Quote:

More that 20-Point in HDR it will not help as the display will not be so stable over to all that time or multiple measurements.

More that 20-Point in SDR may help, but always look a grayscale ramp pattern when the measurements will be finished, to confirm that there no visible issues like banding or dis-colorations:

I will, is it still buggy Tedd to do an IR profile?
post #37 of 39 Old 11-03-2019, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will, is it still buggy Tedd to do an IR profile?
It's problematic and will provide random problems to diff. users.

post #38 of 39 Old 11-03-2019, 07:05 AM

How does this look?
post #39 of 39 Old 11-04-2019, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How does this look?
I have posted many pictures to the 2018/2019 LG threads, take a look there

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page