APL Clipping - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-05-2019, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
APL Clipping

Hey guys, I'm trying to calibrate my display via the APL clipping test.

While I'm watching the calibration test on YouTube it seems perfectly calibrated, but as soon as I open an APL Clipping video file in any of my video players (VCL, MPC) the calibration is way off and there is nothing I can do to fix it, all the lines are flashing past the reference white and reference black bars.

Is this a thing with the video players I have to calibrate somewhere inside the players themselves? I used to do it with the monitor button controls.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-05-2019, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

I just thought of the possibility the YouTube videos could be just baked in results that I can't change, but I can't seem to calibrate my own display. When I fiddle with brightness and contrast it's always pretty poor results.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-06-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3123 Post(s)
Liked: 3865
Hi,

What display you have?

Do you have any colorimeter? or you are checking only how your panel is responding to APL changes?

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-06-2019, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

It's a BenQ GW2765.

I'm not using any additional equipment, just playing the APL test and adjusting the brightness and contrast.

No matter how much I change the settings it always shows all the bars visible, it just gets a bit darker and lighter as I adjust the brightness.

The monitor is connected via DP to the graphics card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	6
Size:	456.3 KB
ID:	2611788  
post #5 of 5 Old 09-06-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3123 Post(s)
Liked: 3865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCro View Post
It's a BenQ GW2765.

I'm not using any additional equipment, just playing the APL test and adjusting the brightness and contrast.

No matter how much I change the settings it always shows all the bars visible, it just gets a bit darker and lighter as I adjust the brightness.

The monitor is connected via DP to the graphics card.
The pattern you are using has values for video level calibration where digital level 16 is the reference black and 235 the reference white, these levels called TV Legal Range.

PC are using Data Range, 0 is black and 255 is 100% White.

Do check your black/white levels for clipping you have to use a pattern for PC Levels, not that one you are using.

There no solution for displays where they are adjusting dynamically their backlight, your total output levels and pattern window will affect the APL.

The patterns you may check for contrast/brightness, you only check your near black/while details clipped etc.

Monitors don't have so much calibration controls to fix calibration errors.

You will need a meter and software to be able to fix you RGB balance and gamma errors (via windows VCGT calibration ) or color errors (via ICC).

Usually PC monitor have a Brightness control (and confuse people where they will use that control to adjust with a brightness pattern) which is basically a backlight control, while TV's name Brightness control the one where you control your black level (and you can use for adjust a brightness pattern) and have separate control for backlight.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page