X-Rite Announces New Display Calibration Solutions for Photographers & Filmmakers - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 10-06-2019, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at this unlock code mayhem, does the i1 Display Pro Plus already talk to HCFR/DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS or I should I wait a bit? I'm in the market for a colorimeter with a little HDR future-proofing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 10-06-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 1146
Or, just get the OEM version - it works, and is the same probe.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #33 of 44 Old 10-06-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
i1Display Studio / ColorMunki Display has the same basic capabilities as the i1Display PRO OEM / Plus (Retail), but is far, far slower in operation because its missing the sync capability.

Yeah, I read these are less suitable for things like plasma, projectors, etc. because of that... but does this actually affect accuracy (a very big deal) or just the measurement time (fine for occasional calibration)? A coworker has a ColorMunki Display I could borrow so I can learn the ropes without burning too much money right away, but if its readings are off on my plasma display I won't bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post

Steve

Interesting, good to know. Just have to see if the price difference to the Pro Plus is worth the difference in software support (not really sure if I'd stay with freeware), the Pro Plus is also readily available in shops in the Netherlands while I can't find the OEM anywhere.
I guess it is a matter of the freeware guys getting the new unlock code for the Pro Plus and it starts working? (it seems a bit pointless as a security measure if I understand it correctly)

Last edited by Sfynx; 10-06-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 10-06-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post

Steve
What's the best alternative to the iprofiler software that's used with the x-rite retail meters to create ICC profiles for Windows laptops that have no external display adjustments?

That's the main reason I bought the retail meter other than to calibrate my LG C9 (and B7).

Question is really for anyone.
post #35 of 44 Old 10-06-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 1146
SpaceMan ICC will convert any 3D LUT into an ICC.

https://www.lightillusion.com/spaceman_manual.html

But, be aware that ICCs will only work with programs that are 'ICC Aware'.
Windows has no 'system-wide' calibration capability.

Steve
dwaleke likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #36 of 44 Old 10-06-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfynx View Post
Looking at this unlock code mayhem, does the i1 Display Pro Plus already talk to HCFR/DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS or I should I wait a bit?
Unknown at this point in time. Figuring this out will have to wait until i1 display pro plus's are actually available...

Author of ArgyllCMS and ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
post #37 of 44 Old 10-07-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
Unknown at this point in time. Figuring this out will have to wait until i1 display pro plus's are actually available...
I own one of these units and can confirm it does work with Displaycal and HCFR using Argyll 2.1.1 but as Ted and Steve have indicated it is incompatible with software that specifically expects the OEM or Retail i1 Display Pro.

Rejected by Calmam
Rejected by LightSpace
Rejected by Sony Broadcast Monitor_AutoWhiteAdjustment_V1500
dwaleke and cremor like this.
post #38 of 44 Old 10-07-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Heard back from CalaMAN support today.

The new meter will be supported in the next release.

Since R2 just came out that won't be anytime soon but expected before the end of the year.
post #39 of 44 Old 10-08-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3264 Post(s)
Liked: 4055

To identify the revision or the year/month the i1Display PRO has been manufactured then you can look the meter's serial number which is located on the sticker on the permanently attached counter weight.

Top sticker is from Retail i1Display PRO Plus while bottom sticker is from i1Display PRO OEM.

OE-yy.r-02.xxxxxx.mm

OE = OEM version, PL = Plus Retail, i1 = Retail

yy = short year manufactured, r-02 = hardware revision (A or B) - firmware version (02), xxxxxx = incremental number, mm = month manufactured)

As you can see hardware and firmware is exact the same. The same firmware/hardware have all the meters (OEM/custom OEM/Retail) from June 2015.

Just from January 2017 and later the OEM (or custom branded OEM SpectraCAl C6HDR2000) were rated for up to 2000 nits, just from the release of Retail Plus (rated 2000 nits) is not available 2000 nits meter to retail market, while normal Retail stay to 1000 nits (named as i1Display PRO).

My customers have confirmed that at September they have received OEM manufactured meters @ August 2019 also.
cremor likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #40 of 44 Old 10-09-2019, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDuty View Post
I own one of these units and can confirm it does work with Displaycal and HCFR using Argyll 2.1.1 but as Ted and Steve have indicated it is incompatible with software that specifically expects the OEM or Retail i1 Display Pro.

Rejected by Calmam
Rejected by LightSpace
Rejected by Sony Broadcast Monitor_AutoWhiteAdjustment_V1500
is incompatible with

Quote:
So that i1Display PRO Plus has a different unlocking code.
because if JimDuty is right then it would mean that they share the same unlock code,otherwise ArgyllCMS won't work unless Xrite set an unlock code shared with other known i1d3s different from OEM/Retail:
  • i1d3_disppro , RETAIL
  • i1d3_munkdisp , MUNKI DISPLAY
  • i1d3_oem , OEM
  • i1d3_nec_ssp , NEC i1d3
  • i1d3_quato_sh3 , QUATO’s
  • i1d3_hp_dreamc , HP i1d3
  • i1d3_sc_c6 , CalMAN
  • i1d3_wacom_dc , Wacom
but this seems unlikely to me.

So device rejection in propietary SW solutions must be caused by other device info like self informed name or such, not a different unlock code.
AFAIK ArgyllCMS tries every kwown unlock code until there is a match or there are no untested unlock codes.
If JimDuty's i1d3pro PLUS works without issue in argyllCMS (can take actual readings), unlock code must be in that list above.

Once Mr. Gill gets one of this in his hands we will know what is actually happening.

Last edited by Vicent; 10-09-2019 at 01:46 AM.
post #41 of 44 Old 10-09-2019, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfynx View Post
Yeah, I read these are less suitable for things like plasma, projectors, etc. because of that... but does this actually affect accuracy (a very big deal) or just the measurement time (fine for occasional calibration)? A coworker has a ColorMunki Display I could borrow so I can learn the ropes without burning too much money right away, but if its readings are off on my plasma display I won't bother.
When you have only a colorimeter, you color accuracy is based to the tables its coming.

Because X-Rite has design the meter to use spectral correction table (and not matrix correction tables like older generation of meters) this featuret makes the meter field upgrade-able; so X-Rite can add new EDR tables when they will release new SDK files to calibration software developers.

ColorMunki Display has no refreshing rate scan (sync), so it will be slower with not so good repeatability like i1Display PRO which has refreshing rate scan capability and better meter modes.

The latest generation of i1Display PRO (Rev.B) it features a new refresh rate detection and synchronization AIO (All in One) measurement mode which can improve the measurement stability for certain displays and provide lower reading times and you will get better and more stable/faster reading to any pulse display (Plasma/DLP projectors etc.)

With Plasma you will have about 30-50% faster readings with AIO mode.

For the Plasma EDR (spectral correction file), X-Rite used a Panasonic VT20/25 probably (or VT30).

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #42 of 44 Old 10-09-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicent View Post
AFAIK ArgyllCMS tries every kwown unlock code until there is a match or there are no untested unlock codes.
ArgyllCMS tries all the unlock codes that I've discovered or been told about. From the information on his page, it appears that Ted has two that he's never fed back to me (Toshiba Picture Analyser 1 (TPA1) and basICColor display SQUID 3). If so, it's not clear how those unlock codes were determined, if it wasn't done using my diagnostic software.

post #43 of 44 Old 10-10-2019, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
ArgyllCMS tries all the unlock codes that I've discovered or been told about. From the information on his page, it appears that Ted has two that he's never fed back to me (Toshiba Picture Analyser 1 (TPA1) and basICColor display SQUID 3). If so, it's not clear how those unlock codes were determined, if it wasn't done using my diagnostic software.
I have no idea for the codes of these two.

post #44 of 44 Old 10-10-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have no idea for the codes of these two.
OK - my mistake in assuming you did, based on your web page.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page