X-Rite Announces New Display Calibration Solutions for Photographers & Filmmakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 09-13-2019, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3265 Post(s)
Liked: 4055
X-Rite Announces New Display Calibration Solutions for Photographers & Filmmakers

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., Sept. 12, 2019 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- X-Rite, the world leader in color management, measurement and communication technologies, today announces the immediate availability of the i1Display Studio and i1Display Pro Plus, technologically enhanced hardware and software solutions for color calibration and profiling of displays, laptops, and projectors.

The trusted i1Display Pro has been the professional choice for high-level, on-screen color accuracy for discerning photographers, imaging professionals, and display manufacturers for more than 8 years. X-Rite extends this legacy for photographers and filmmakers alike with the i1Display Studio, an easy-to-use, affordable, yet professional solution and the i1Display Pro Plus, the ultimate solution to color manage super-bright, HD, and HDR display technology.

i1Display Studio is the ideal solution for both passionate and professional photographers looking for professional color results in an easy-to-use format that doesn't require in-depth knowledge of color science. It features both one-click presets as well as advanced easy-to-navigate wizard-driven options for more control. The i1Display Studio provides users everything they need in an easy-to-use solution that delivers high quality calibration and profile results in no time.
Key features include:

• Technologically advanced i1Display Studio instrument: an ergonomically designed colorimeter with advanced optical technology and filter set
  • 3-in-1 functionality - designed to easily switch between display or projector profiling and ambient light capture
  • i1Studio software for display and projector profiling
  • Mobile Device Calibration with free ColorTRUE mobile app
  • Intelligent Iterative Profiling to accurately measure the color capabilities of a display
  • Custom control of white point, luminance, contrast ratio, and gamma
  • Color match up to four separate displays for color accuracy
  • Measurement and compensation of ambient lighting conditions
  • FlareCorrect™ for display surface flare measurement and compensation
  • Video Standards Support: NTSC, PAL SECAM, Rec. 709, Rec. 2020 and DCI-P3
  • Profile validation and reminder to view before and after results with included images or load your own
i1Display Pro Plus is ideal for filmmakers and photographers working with super-bright, HD, and HDR displays. This solution includes the ability to measure high luminance (brightness) levels as well as the ability to obtain correct neutral shadow detail levels and higher accuracy in dark colors with new Black Current Subtraction technology.

i1Display Pro Plus contains all the in-depth features found in i1Display Pro to profile monitors, projectors and mobile devices, plus these additional features: Accurately measure luminance/brightness levels up to 2000 nits
  • Obtain correct neutral detail levels and higher accuracy in dark colors with new black current subtraction technology, especially beneficial on OLED displays or any display that can achieve close to zero black point
  • BT.1886 default gamma curve – the standard for HDTV – is especially beneficial for 3D LUT workflows and HDR supported displays to minimize clipping in dark area as well as achieve better behavior in blacks and smooth to ideal detail levels
  • USB-C compatible with included USB-C to USB-A adapter
"Professional and passionate photographers and filmmakers who are concerned about color perfection know that having properly calibrated and profiled displays is an essential and critical component for a successful and efficient creative workflow.

The new i1Display Studio and i1Display Pro Plus, coupled with our current number one seller, the i1Display Pro, provides every level of user with optimally calibrated displays, projectors and mobile devices, consistently and easily. This ensures a user's digital files will be viewed and shared accurately to enable faithful reproduction every time." - Liz

New Kits

The two new i1Display solutions feature the industry's most advanced colorimeter bundled with the latest display and projector profiling software to ensure unrivaled color accuracy and consistency now and in the future.
The new kits include:

*Each kit is offered at a reduced price compared to purchasing separately.

Availability

The new i1Display Studio, i1Display Pro Plus, and the new i1 Kits will be shipping in September from X-Rite (North America and Europe) online stores as well as from the company's worldwide network of resellers.

Release PDF

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 09-13-2019, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So i1Display PRO Retail remain as we know it, with up to 1000 nits luminance range.

The i1Display PRO Plus (Retail) will now match the i1Display PRO (OEM) we had from January 2017 at luminance range, with up to 2000 nits luminance range. As OEM was more expansive also from the Retail, the i1Display PRO Plus (Retail) with have higher ($299) retail street price.

The i1Display Studio, it will be the new name for the ColorMunki Display, which is not available anymore to X-Rite site, this can be confirmed from the the lower retail street price it will have ($179).

The only detail we will wait to find out is for the ''new black current subtraction technology'', if its a feature which will require a new FW release from X-Rite or a an upcoming feature which will be added via newer X-Rite SDK release to current i1Display PRO instruments.
mrtickleuk and cremor like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #3 of 44 Old 09-13-2019, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

All the following features have to do only when you will operate the meter with X-Rite i1Profiler, they are software options, not meter features:
  • i1Studio software for display and projector profiling
  • Intelligent Iterative Profiling to accurately measure the color capabilities of a display
  • Custom control of white point, luminance, contrast ratio, and gamma
  • Color match up to four separate displays for color accuracy
  • Measurement and compensation of ambient lighting conditions
  • FlareCorrect™ for display surface flare measurement and compensation
  • Video Standards Support: NTSC, PAL SECAM, Rec. 709, Rec. 2020 and DCI-P3
  • Profile validation and reminder to view before and after results with included images or load your own
i1Studio software will be the limited in capability version of i1Profiler. (to work with i1Display Studio only, similar with limited capability software the ColorMunki Display was using)

Mobile Device Calibration with free ColorTRUE mobile app

USB-C compatible with included USB-C to USB-A adapter can be useful for users which will use the free application (which already exist for years), X-Rite ColorTRUE, this application will not profile 'globally' your phone, but you will be able to load the correction only from inside ColorTRUE Viewer, this means that you can able to see corrected colors only from pictures are available inside to your iPad/iPhone storage, when you will view them from inside only ColorTRUE image viewer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 09-13-2019, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
The only detail we will wait to find out is for the ''new black current subtraction technology'', if its a feature which will require a new FW release from X-Rite or a an upcoming feature which will be added via newer X-Rite SDK release to current i1Display PRO instruments.
So you're saying it's not new hardware that's enabling the better dark reading?
post #5 of 44 Old 09-13-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airikay View Post
So you're saying it's not new hardware that's enabling the better dark reading?
For that feature, is not yet available more info... from where its coming (software, SDK or hardware).

It can happen to be a software feature only available to i1Profiler, like the ''FlareCorrect''.

post #6 of 44 Old 09-13-2019, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

i1Profiler (i1Publish) 3.1.0 (12 September 2019) has been released.

The following features and improvements have been added for this release:

New Features

Adds support for the iDisplay PLUS device. This device can accurately measure displays with luminance up to 2000 nits.

Adds support for the BT.1886 EOTF (Gamma curve). This curve is the recommended standard for HDTV.

Known Issues

The measurement algorithm used for transmissive patch scanning does not have error checking. Please verify all measurements visually on screen before proceeding to the next workflow step. If you have difficulty scanning a chart, switch to spot mode.

There is a refresh issue when scrolling within the gamut view window. If the screen does not refresh correctly, click anywhere within the application window and the gamut view will update.

The Reference Files for the ColorChecker SG and ColorChecker 24 for scanner profiling have been updated. These new reference files apply well to ColorChecker SG and 24 charts manufactured after November 2014. For ColorChecker editions prior to November 2014, please use the former Reference Files, which can be downloaded from www.xritephoto.com, including instructions how to replace and apply them in i1Profiler.

Profiling and optimizing profiles with very large patch sets (>3000) will require a very large amount of RAM. If profiling fails, reduce the amount of patches in the test chart.

Monitor calibration does not work when multiple monitors are in mirror mode (this issue affects Windows® installations only.)

i1Profiler does not support the calibration of displays connected via AirPlay.

If you have problems loading the display profile after it has been created or if the system cannot load the display LUTs, turn off Automatic Display Control (ADC) on the measurement page and try again.

i1Profiler uses OpenGL to display the profile’s 3D gamut. If you encounter a problem with the gamut preview, make sure that your video card drivers are up to date.

i1Profiler can import CGATS measurement files from other applications. However, the color engine has been optimized to work with the patch sets generated within i1Profiler. The profile quality from profiles made entirely within the i1Profiler workflow will exceed profiles made from legacy charts and measurements. In the case of CMYK+N profiles, some legacy patch sets may not even build a profile successfully. It is strongly recommended that users build new charts within i1Profiler for CMYK+N profiling.

If you are using Ambient Smart Light Control when making your display profile, expect to get higher Delta E values in Display QA. This function optimizes profiles for visual appearance based on measured ambient conditions not for minimal Delta E.

The i1ProfilerTray application looks for connected displays at launch. If you disconnect or connect a display, the i1ProfilerTray will not see the change until it is restarted, the user logs out or the system is restarted. On Windows the i1ProfilerTray can be restarted from the Programs\Startup menu, on Mac, the tray is located in the same folder as the i1Profiler application.

The application may lose its connection to a measurement device if the computer goes into sleep or hibernation mode. If this happens, disconnect and reconnect the device to restore the connection.

Installation of older applications that use the previous version of X-Rite Device Services may cause i1Profiler to not connect with devices or to not launch. If this occurs, reinstall i1Profiler to restore the latest Device Services.

If you encounter any problems connecting to your measurement device, please disconnect and reconnect the device to restore the connection.

Make sure your i1iSis power button is on when you connect the USB cable. If you connect with the button off, then turn the power on, the i1iSis will not be seen.

The i1iO device does not support single row charts.

You cannot measure an optimization test chart that contains patches extracted from an image if you are using an i1iO or i1iO2.

Download Link: https://xritephoto.com/ph_product_ov...2094&catid=156

post #7 of 44 Old 09-13-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have just checked the installation of latest i1Profiler 3.1.0; a version which adds support for X-Rite i1Display PRO Plus.

It will install also the latest required X-Rite Device Services, with all SDK files required to operate any X-Rite instrument.

After I checked the version of SDK coming with i1Profiling 3.1.0 with the current SDK for the i1Display PRO which is available inside to the LightSpace installer, both files have the exact same version:

Left side is the i1Profiler SDK, right side the LightSpace SDK.

This detail confirms that ''new black current subtraction technology'' is not a meter driving feature which require new SDK to be updated for the software developers X-Rite has partnership.

Also the release notes of i1Profiler 3.1.0 confirms that there no any software feature for ''new black current subtraction technology'' added to the i1Profiler.

So we will wait to see what that feature does and if its already available but not advertised to current i1Display PRO OEM meters, where they are 2000 nits capable also, like the upcoming i1Display PRO Plus (Retail).
mrtickleuk likes this.

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 09-13-2019 at 09:38 AM.
post #8 of 44 Old 09-14-2019, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
This detail confirms that ''new black current subtraction technology'' is not a meter driving feature which require new SDK to be updated for the software developers X-Rite has partnership.
The calibration information in the i1d3 has a slot for black offset values. If I recall correctly, this value is zero for existing instruments. So it's possible that the new feature is actually the introduction of a black calibration step in their production process. (To be worthwhile I tend to think that they would have to be using L2F sensors with a higher sensitivity than the existing ones, since the current sensors seem to have pretty good black zero as manufactured.)
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Author of ArgyllCMS and ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
post #9 of 44 Old 09-15-2019, 09:57 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
Has anyone figured out yet where the increased range to 2000 nits actually comes from?
post #10 of 44 Old 09-15-2019, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 72
The earlier version in the OEM already did that. At the time, X-rite did not certify the retail version over 1000 nits. But, I think Tom Huffman showed that the retail version could also go well over 1000 nits. My guess is that they decided to certify it to a value that it could really do.
post #11 of 44 Old 10-01-2019, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
The calibration information in the i1d3 has a slot for black offset values. If I recall correctly, this value is zero for existing instruments. So it's possible that the new feature is actually the introduction of a black calibration step in their production process. (To be worthwhile I tend to think that they would have to be using L2F sensors with a higher sensitivity than the existing ones, since the current sensors seem to have pretty good black zero as manufactured.)
Hey Graeme, I assume you plan to support these.

If they do start using these black offset values do you think you will be able to take advantage of them in ArgyllCMS?
post #12 of 44 Old 10-01-2019, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mystery solved!

X-Rite has confirmed with Light Illusion that there will be no 'OEM' version of the i1Display PRO Plus, because the colorimeter hardware, firmware, and SDK... are all identical to those of the i1Display PRO OEM Rev.B.

The i1Display PRO Plus (Retail) is the OEM made version which was not available until now to the retail market.

So i1Display PRO Plus Retail is same as i1Display PRO OEM, both rated for 2000 nits.

Also, X-Rite has confirmed that the ‘black current subtraction’ was a development idea that did not work out….

It has not been implemented.

(Unfortunately, their marketing team was not made aware of this before they announced the info…)

For that reason that 'black offset' entry offset exist to current OEM meters (and probably to retail also) but hasn't used.

The i1Display Studio will not available also as OEM (as i1Display Studio is the replacement of ColorMunki Display)

i1Display Studio / ColorMunki Display has the same basic capabilities as the i1Display PRO OEM / Plus (Retail), but is far, far slower in operation because its missing the sync capability.

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 10-01-2019 at 11:49 PM.
post #13 of 44 Old 10-04-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 753
I bought a new iDisplay Pro Plus meter and Calman Home v5.10.1.94 is unable to find my meter.

Works properly with the X-Rite software and I get the password-locked error message with LightSpace so I know the computer can see the meter.

Looks like Calman needs to be updated to support it.
post #14 of 44 Old 10-04-2019, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
I bought a new iDisplay Pro Plus meter and Calman Home v5.10.1.94 is unable to find my meter.

Works properly with the X-Rite software and I get the password-locked error message with LightSpace so I know the computer can see the meter.

Looks like Calman needs to be updated to support it.

If you have the X-rite software installed, There is a service that is running in the background that will prevent CalMAN from talking to the meter.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #15 of 44 Old 10-04-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
If you have the X-rite software installed, There is a service that is running in the background that will prevent CalMAN from talking to the meter.
Thank you for the reply. Even with the service stopped and the software uninstalled CalMAN still cannot find the meter.
post #16 of 44 Old 10-04-2019, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The user has i1Display PRO Plus, does CalMAN support that meter?

post #17 of 44 Old 10-04-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
Thank you for the reply. Even with the service stopped and the software uninstalled CalMAN still cannot find the meter.

Does it not find it or does it connect but the meter is listed in RED?

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #18 of 44 Old 10-04-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I click "Find Meter", a box pops up says "Searching for Meters" and then disappears.

The meter name shows as "Simulated Meter".

Nothing listed in red.
post #19 of 44 Old 10-05-2019, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you understand that we are talking for i1Display PRO Plus?

If it was supported from CalMAN, it had to be available that info to the CalMAN 2019 R2 release notes.

post #20 of 44 Old 10-05-2019, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Have you understand that we are talking for i1Display PRO Plus?

If it was supported from CalMAN, it had to be available that info to the CalMAN 2019 R2 release notes.
Quote:
Mystery solved!

X-Rite has confirmed with Light Illusion that there will be no 'OEM' version of the i1Display PRO Plus, because the colorimeter hardware, firmware, and SDK... are all identical to those of the i1Display PRO OEM Rev.B.
[...]

Is it possible that colorimeter is detected as an OEM version, so due to playing with Xrite SDK license constraints it gets rejected?
post #21 of 44 Old 10-05-2019, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicent View Post
Is it possible that colorimeter is detected as an OEM version, so due to playing with Xrite SDK license constraints it gets rejected?
CalMAN support the i1Display PRO Retail and OEM.

i1Display PRO Plus Retail is not supported yet by any software, while it has the exact same hardware and firmware with OEM.

I have talked with the user and he has send me a picture of his meter sticker.

While the meter can be detected from LightSpace, it will display msg that is password locked, this means that OEM unlocking password can't unlock the meter.

I send the user the replacement files which are using the Retail unlocking code and the meter still pop-up the password lock msg.

So that i1Display PRO Plus has a different unlocking code.

CalMAN don't use the X-Rite DLL to operate the instruments, (so for that reason AIO mode is not available in CalMAN)... its using custom code, where C6 use adaptive exposure times (where C6 is exact same in hardware/firmware version side as i1Display PRO OEM), so this makes C6 faster from i1Display PRO, but if you add AIO mode to i1Display PRO, it will match the speed of C6.

To operate the i1Display PRO, you need a file called i1d3SDK.dll , this file is not available inside CalMAN/Common folder. If you look its available inside to LightSpace and ChromaPure installation folder.

So without that X-Rite SDK file you can't use the exact meter modes (as explained to SDK documentation) X-Rite has designed the meter and recommend, which are 4 modes. (BURST, FREQUENCY, PERIOD and AIO, these names are taken exact from SDR documentation, is about how X-Rite name them.

CalMAN instead using these, its using custom programming modes named as Sync (On, Off, Auto). Again, there no problem with that, just when Tyler from SpectraCALsays that 'we use what X-Rite is providing', means that at least he has to provide the AIO meter mode which makes the meter to work faster, as additional setting to the custom meter modes already available.

There no problem that CalMAN don't use the official X-Rite SDK, just its not using the official meter modes X-Rite has developed.

CalMAN use custom meter modes no problem.

As you know well, custom code with adaptive exposure times is using the ArgyllCMS/DisplayCAL/HCFR, which is working very good and the meter read as fast as AIO mode.

post #22 of 44 Old 10-05-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
CalMAN support the i1Display PRO Retail and OEM.

i1Display PRO Plus Retail is not supported yet by any software, while it has the exact same hardware and firmware with OEM.

I have talked with the user and he has send me a picture of his meter sticker.

While the meter can be detected from LightSpace, it will display msg that is password locked, this means that OEM unlocking password can't unlock the meter.

I send the user the replacement files which are using the Retail unlocking code and the meter still pop-up the password lock msg.

i1Profiler has been updated to support it.

But this sentence does not hold right now:
Quote:

since there is a new different unlock code from the known list:
  • i1d3_disppro , RETAIL
  • i1d3_munkdisp , MUNKI DISPLAY
  • i1d3_oem , OEM
  • i1d3_nec_ssp , NEC i1d3
  • i1d3_quato_sh3 , QUATO’s
  • i1d3_hp_dreamc , HP i1d3
  • i1d3_sc_c6 , CalMAN
  • i1d3_wacom_dc , Wacom
Maybe ArgyllCMS, Calman, LS or SV2/ColorNavigator will update soon... but it will be funny with other vendors like Dell, Benq, Viewsonic, their calibration software and their update policy.

Last edited by Vicent; 10-05-2019 at 12:07 PM.
post #23 of 44 Old 10-05-2019, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i1Profiler has been updated to support it.
Any 3rd party software is not supporting the meter obviously, as I had posted the i1Profiling release which support i1Display PRO Plus first, to this thread.

Quote:
But this sentence does not hold right now:
The sentence is totally correct, the meter unlocking code is difference only, hardware/firmware is the same.

post #24 of 44 Old 10-05-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
The sentence is totally correct, the meter unlocking code is difference only, hardware/firmware is the same.
No, right now it is false. Unlock code used for challenge response should stored in FW or (extremely unlikely) hardwired, so it cannot be the same.

Also return data from getInfo (0x0000) should be different, otherwise it will report itself in a character string as OEM rev. B sharing the same date. Where does this data com from? firmware (or hardwired but that will be weird).

Hence they are not equal and this statement is not true:
Quote:
They are different devices even measurement functionality/limits are the same for PLUS/OEM rev.B, in the same way as old id1d3 retail functionaly should be the same as nec, hp or wacom's but with diffreent ID, unlock codes etc.
post #25 of 44 Old 10-05-2019, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, right now it is false. Unlock code used for challenge response should stored in FW or (extremely unlikely) hardwired, so it cannot be the same.

Also return data from getInfo (0x0000) should be different, otherwise it will report itself in a character string as OEM rev. B sharing the same date. Where does this data com from? firmware (or hardwired but that will be weird).
Firmware version is exact the same. This is visible by looking the code of the meter in the serial number.

So firmware is the same but with different unlocking code (between Plus - OEM).

It's like you have 2x iPhone with the same iOs version installed but with different code to unlock each pho

Quote:
They are different devices even measurement functionality/limits are the same for PLUS/OEM rev.B, in the same way as old id1d3 retail functionaly should be the same as nec, hp or wacom's but with diffreent ID, unlock codes etc.
Any branded custom OEM or genetic OEM or Retail, has different unlocking code in the FW.

Except that, about capabilities, the only difference between all i1d3 is the hardware revision and the firmware version.

OEM and Plus have the same hardware revision and same firmware version.

post #26 of 44 Old 10-05-2019, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sticking my head in where it probably doesn't belong since the discussion is generally over my head, but does this mean that the unlock code and ID string are stored somewhere in non-volatile memory distinct from the firmware? That would seem to be logically indicated for the hardware and firmware versions to be the same but the code and ID to differ.
post #27 of 44 Old 10-05-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Note that it is not the X-Rite driver that provides the unlock code. It is the application code that does this.

Last edited by gwgill; 10-05-2019 at 05:15 PM.
post #28 of 44 Old 10-05-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfb88 View Post
Sticking my head in where it probably doesn't belong since the discussion is generally over my head, but does this mean that the unlock code and ID string are stored somewhere in non-volatile memory distinct from the firmware? That would seem to be logically indicated for the hardware and firmware versions to be the same but the code and ID to differ.
It's stored somewhere in the firmware of course, along with a unique serial number and unique calibration information. But unlike the serial number and calibration information it doesn't appear to be stored in the flash memory region accessible to the low level driver, it's stored in some other hidden memory. Presumably there is a command that sets the unlock code.
Vicent likes this.

post #29 of 44 Old 10-06-2019, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 1146
Ted is totally correct.

The PLUS model is the OEM verison, just with a new logo.
The only difference is the locking code.

For that reason, other manufactures such as Dell, ASUS, HP, NEC, etc., (and Light Illusion) will not be offering PLUS versions, as they are already using the OEM version - which is exactly the same.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #30 of 44 Old 10-06-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
It's stored somewhere in the firmware of course, along with a unique serial number and unique calibration information. But unlike the serial number and calibration information it doesn't appear to be stored in the flash memory region accessible to the low level driver, it's stored in some other hidden memory. Presumably there is a command that sets the unlock code.

Thank you, that is was I was trying to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page