Display calibration for home user, can you get me up to speed on what to buy? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dominic Chan
  • 1 Post By Anger.miki
  • 1 Post By Dominic Chan

post #1 of 25 Old 09-16-2019, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Display calibration for home user, can you get me up to speed on what to buy?

So did some research and i am aware the differences between spectrophotometers and colorimeters. For the absolute best results you need to get both but that is out of my budget.
I only have TN and IPS monitors (AUO laptop screen, Viewsonic lcd) i need to calibrate and maybe an LCD samsung tv. I'm also getting the LG 27GL850 (probably or a similar monitor like the gigabyte aorus ad27qd). This LG one has crappy hdr brightness and contrast but 95% dci-p3 gamut.

I don't do critical work but i like to keep my equipment as close to reference.

From what i understand is best to get an i1Display Pro or one of its rebrand/clones. Ideally i need to find the REV-B model which is oem only and/or clones have some software limitations?!? (of which i guess can be bypassed?)

Regarding software i don't know if i can just use the supplied software, or it is better to use DisplayCal since i can't pay for Calman/Lightspace.

If i buy this one it will be the 1000nits version instead of the Rev-B, correct? Amazon DE B0055MBQOW (can't post link due to post count)
In this case i can save money and buy the ColorMunki Display ?

I am in europe but i can buy from USA and abroad as well since i'm building a PC i can just include it in my purchases.

Kind regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-17-2019, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4884 Post(s)
Liked: 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaZuyA View Post
Regarding software i don't know if i can just use the supplied software, or it is better to use DisplayCal since i can't pay for Calman/Lightspace.
For calibrating TVs (as opposed to computer monitors) HCFR is more suitable than DisplayCal or the bundled x-rite software. OEM versions may not even come with software.
Rolls-Royce likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-17-2019, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
For calibrating TVs (as opposed to computer monitors) HCFR is more suitable than DisplayCal or the bundled x-rite software. OEM versions may not even come with software.
Calibrating a TV is not a priority for me, it's just an extra for me. But i guess you can just use it to set correct white temp and roughly adjust RGB for a better picture maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 09-17-2019, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 418
For monitors it is better to buy a software able to access DDC and to create ICC. AFAIK, only CalMAN can do that, but I don't know if the Home version still has those capabilities. @WiFi-Spy
Rolls-Royce likes this.

TVs: Pioneer PDP-LX5090H, LG OLED55C8PLA | SintoAmp: Pioneer VSX-921 | BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT260EG | External LUT box: Entertainment Experience eeColor | Softwares: Light Illusion Lightspace HTP, Portrait Displays CalMAN Home Enthusiast 2018 R3, HCFR, DisplayCAL | Probes: x-rite i1 Pro 2 - i1 Display Pro OEM B-02, basICColor DISCUS | Test Pattern Generator: DVDO AVLab TPG
post #5 of 25 Old 09-17-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger.miki View Post
For monitors it is better to buy a software able to access DDC and to create ICC. AFAIK, only CalMAN can do that, but I don't know if the Home version still has those capabilities. @WiFi-Spy
Yep, the Home version includes Monitor calibration, and will work with CalMAN Client 3. But that has to be purchased separately.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #6 of 25 Old 09-17-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
X-Rite i1Profiler supports Automatic Display Calibration (ADC) which can control compatible monitors via DDC and create ICC profiles. The retail version of i1Display includes the license for it.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 09-17-2019 at 09:41 AM.
post #7 of 25 Old 09-17-2019, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Has x-rite updated/improved iProfiiler lately? When I had a i1D3 retail I tried that a few times and the results weren’t exactly good.

TVs: Pioneer PDP-LX5090H, LG OLED55C8PLA | SintoAmp: Pioneer VSX-921 | BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT260EG | External LUT box: Entertainment Experience eeColor | Softwares: Light Illusion Lightspace HTP, Portrait Displays CalMAN Home Enthusiast 2018 R3, HCFR, DisplayCAL | Probes: x-rite i1 Pro 2 - i1 Display Pro OEM B-02, basICColor DISCUS | Test Pattern Generator: DVDO AVLab TPG
post #8 of 25 Old 09-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I saw a deal on the SpyderX (both Pro and Elite) and was considering picking one up. I'm interested in both my TV (LED, not OLED) and my monitors (IPS). Would the pro be worth picking up? I primarily use linux and see that there is DisplayCAL that runs on Ubuntu (I have access to Windows but prefer linux).

Would this be a good option?

Thanks!
post #9 of 25 Old 09-18-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
I saw a deal on the SpyderX (both Pro and Elite) and was considering picking one up. I'm interested in both my TV (LED, not OLED) and my monitors (IPS). Would the pro be worth picking up? I primarily use linux and see that there is DisplayCAL that runs on Ubuntu (I have access to Windows but prefer linux).

Would this be a good option?

Thanks!
The only immediate issue is whether support for the SpyderX has been built into DisplayCal yet. The meter is new to the marketplace...

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #10 of 25 Old 09-18-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
The only immediate issue is whether support for the SpyderX has been built into DisplayCal yet. The meter is new to the marketplace...
SpyderX is supported by ArgyllCMS 2.x, hence is supported by DisplayCal.
It is not supported by HCFR which uses ArgyllCMS 1.x.
post #11 of 25 Old 09-18-2019, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

DisplayCal is the one I'm looking at for now as it has a linux version. From what I've read it looks like DisplayCal is best for monitors and HCFR is best for TV's. At some point HCFR will be compiled with ArgyllCMS 2.x then the SpyderX will be supported... Am I correct in these statements?

Will the SpyderX Pro be sufficient (as opposed to the more expensive SpiderX Elite)?

I've been wanting to play with calibration but never got around to it. The SpiderX deal has me ready to jump in!
post #12 of 25 Old 09-18-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At some point HCFR will be compiled with ArgyllCMS 2.x then the SpyderX will be supported... Am I correct in these statements?
Yes in principle, but no one know when (or if) this will happen.

Quote:
Will the SpyderX Pro be sufficient (as opposed to the more expensive SpiderX Elite)?

I've been wanting to play with calibration but never got around to it. The SpiderX deal has me ready to jump in!
The Pro and Elite have the same hardware, but different software options. If you’re not using the Spyder software then buy the cheaper model.
Rolls-Royce likes this.
post #13 of 25 Old 09-18-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't use either, so I wasn't sure where support for the X stood.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #14 of 25 Old 09-18-2019, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes in principle, but no one know when (or if) this will happen.

Looking at SourceForge, three days ago there was a merge request to HEAD,master specifically to add SpiderX support through the updated ArgyllCMS 2.x. Dev bberu says he has it working and it fixing bugs. Not sure if his branch can be downloaded yet but it seems support is imminent.
post #15 of 25 Old 09-18-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looking at SourceForge, three days ago there was a merge request to HEAD,master specifically to add SpiderX support through the updated ArgyllCMS 2.x. Dev bberu says he has it working and it fixing bugs. Not sure if his branch can be downloaded yet but it seems support is imminent.
That’s good to know. Looking forward to v3.5.2.
post #16 of 25 Old 09-19-2019, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

well i don't think it is worth spending extra money just for DDC support when you can just change the settings by yourself on the OSD..assuming the monitors you are calibrating already support DDC and in many cases that's not the case.

Still i am not sure with which exact colorimeter i should go with
post #17 of 25 Old 09-19-2019, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think you'll get the same DDC (very important) settings into the OSD and with laptop display you don't have any OSD. At least, with my Dell monitors I got more (very important) settings with DDC than with OSD. Anyway, if you think so, then you can use DisplayCal as calibration software which is free

Colorimeter, you have just one choice: xrite i1 Display Pro OEM or the new and expensive i1 Display PRO Plus.

post #18 of 25 Old 09-21-2019, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't think you'll get the same DDC (very important) settings into the OSD and with laptop display you don't have any OSD. At least, with my Dell monitors I got more (very important) settings with DDC than with OSD. Anyway, if you think so, then you can use DisplayCal as calibration software which is free

Colorimeter, you have just one choice: xrite i1 Display Pro OEM or the new and expensive i1 Display PRO Plus.

So the i1 display pro retail will not do?
post #19 of 25 Old 09-21-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So the i1 display pro retail will not do?
It will do, if you don’t need to measure over 1000 nits. It may read above that, but is not officially certified to do so.

And it comes with i1Profiler.
post #20 of 25 Old 09-21-2019, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It will do, if you don’t need to measure over 1000 nits. It may read above that, but is not officially certified to do so.

And it comes with i1Profiler.

thanks just wanted to confirm this is still the case. In the case you can't get the OEM rev B version would a ColorMunki Display make more financial sense since i won't be doing calibration on a plasma display and i don't mind it will be 5x slower? (fastest panel i will do is 165hz, and maybe 240hz in the future; will the CMD be able to do it?)
post #21 of 25 Old 09-21-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks just wanted to confirm this is still the case. In the case you can't get the OEM rev B version would a ColorMunki Display make more financial sense since i won't be doing calibration on a plasma display and i don't mind it will be 5x slower? (fastest panel i will do is 165hz, and maybe 240hz in the future; will the CMD be able to do it?)
The Colormunki does not run in synchronization mode, so a fast refresh rate makes it easier, not harder, to read. It does not come with i1Profiler.

The other option would be to wait for the i1DiaplayPro Plus, which should be available any day now.
post #22 of 25 Old 09-29-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up. The new (currently unofficial) version is now available for download
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr-2019/
post #23 of 25 Old 09-29-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3265 Post(s)
Liked: 4055
Quote:
The other option would be to wait for the i1DiaplayPro Plus, which should be available any day now.
We have to see which calibration software will support i1Display PRO Plus, as X-Rite want volumetric sales to provide support, so I don't think any company will add support for that meter, from the 3rd party commercial software I mean.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #24 of 25 Old 09-29-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3265 Post(s)
Liked: 4055
Quote:
The Colormunki does not run in synchronization mode, so a fast refresh rate makes it easier, not harder, to read. It does not come with i1Profiler.
The differences between the X-Rite software each meter is coming, for the users following this thread, are there: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post53668481

BTW the ColorMunki has been discontinued and replaced from i1Display Studio (but we have to see what software will support it).

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #25 of 25 Old 09-29-2019, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up. The new (currently unofficial) version is now available for download
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr-2019/

Yeah, I emailed the dev (bberu) the other day and asked if he had a compiled version I could play with. He made his own unofficial branch and released the binaries. I've not had a chance to play with it yet but I will in a few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page