basic color space questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-06-2019, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question basic color space questions

I have always wondered why contrast on my Sony TVs didn't ever hide whiter than white colors, then I found this article while playing around with Kodi settings. I looks like I am looking for a Limited, Full, Limited pipeline.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_levels_and_color_space

I have a Fire TV Stick 4K running Kodi and an Xbox One X for BR and gaming. Everything runs through a Sony AVR (STR-DN1070) and I think it is just passing through the signal. I've used two Sony TVs in this setup, a 2014 XBR-49X850B (no HDR) and 2015 XBR-65X900C (HDR). I have messed around with a lot of settings and thought I was looking for a combination of settings that would allow me to change the TVs' contrast and brightness to see BtB and WtW and then adjust them correctly. Is this what I am looking for? How do I know what my pipeline is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've since tested with a Vero 4K+ to allow 3D and HDR playback. Here are some more specific results using the Vero:

Default Settings (YCbCr, limited) give me ability to adjust Black Level correctly, but Contrast doesn't affect white and I can see up to 252/253.
YCbCr and full give me clipped BtB and WtW at limited levels. I think this is the better option, but I don't know if I'm losing info due to conversions...
I can check the output with RGB, but most of what I've read says YCbCr is best from this box. Of course I've also read so many conflicting ideas that I don't know what to think anymore.
post #3 of 3 Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3264 Post(s)
Liked: 4055
Hi, when you experience such issue, you start by removing the AVR from the chain, until to resolve the problem, so doing this you focus to resolve using Source-TV settings.

All your players have to send YCbCr colorspace to the TV and the TV should expect to receive TV Legal Video (limited) levels.

Another idea is to use a media file (MP4/MKV) and to load it directly to TV's USB, so to see what is happening to TV's controls adjustments, so to find out about the settings which will not clip your 'headroom'.

After that test, you will use the same pattern from your streamers.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page