How to calibrate HDR on Panasonic OLED? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ConnecTEDDD

post #1 of 14 Old 10-16-2019, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How to calibrate HDR on Panasonic OLED?

Sorry if this is stupid questions but im new to all this regarding calibration.

Ok, so I´ve made sdr-calibration (rec. 709) on my FZ800E using Calman Home Panasonic and my X-rite i1 Display meter.

Pro1 day in Professional1- and Pro2 Night in Porfessional 2-mode.

Now...if im able to...I want to make a hdr-calibration to. But I have a couple of questions...

1: Am I able to do a hdr-calibration using i1 Display Pro and mobile forge app? Or do I need other hardware to be able to calibrate rec. 2020 ?

2: If I can...what mode should I be in on my tv? If I choose Prof. 1 or 2...wont my sdr-calibration be deleted then? Or does the TV save these settings (SDR and HDR) as different presets?

And...are there any complete guide for calibrating HDR on a Panasonic OLED using X-rite?

Sorry for my noob-questions.

All help/answers are much appreciated!

Best regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-16-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pär Arvdal View Post
Sorry if this is stupid questions but im new to all this regarding calibration.

Ok, so I´ve made sdr-calibration (rec. 709) on my FZ800E using Calman Home Panasonic and my X-rite i1 Display meter.

Pro1 day in Professional1- and Pro2 Night in Porfessional 2-mode.

Now...if im able to...I want to make a hdr-calibration to. But I have a couple of questions...

1: Am I able to do a hdr-calibration using i1 Display Pro and mobile forge app? Or do I need other hardware to be able to calibrate rec. 2020 ?

2: If I can...what mode should I be in on my tv? If I choose Prof. 1 or 2...wont my sdr-calibration be deleted then? Or does the TV save these settings (SDR and HDR) as different presets?

And...are there any complete guide for calibrating HDR on a Panasonic OLED using X-rite?

Sorry for my noob-questions.

All help/answers are much appreciated!

Best regards

Tomorrow in the office I will check, but I’m pretty sure you can force on HDR10 and BT.2020 in the TV menu. That way you could use an SDR pattern generator.

I will update when I confirm.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #3 of 14 Old 10-17-2019, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3396 Post(s)
Liked: 4218
Quote:
1: Am I able to do a hdr-calibration using i1 Display Pro and mobile forge app?
Hi,

Any X-Rite i1Display PRO don't have any problem to calibrate any current OLED as its rated up to 1000 nits (Retail version) or 2000 nits (OEM version).

What device are you using with MobileForge?

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-17-2019, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Tomorrow in the office I will check, but I’m pretty sure you can force on HDR10 and BT.2020 in the TV menu. That way you could use an SDR pattern generator.

I will update when I confirm.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi,

Any X-Rite i1Display PRO don't have any problem to calibrate any current OLED as its rated up to 1000 nits (Retail version) or 2000 nits (OEM version).

What device are you using with MobileForge?

Oh ok I see, thats good to hear!

Well, this might be one thing to im doing totally wrong. I connect through my mobile phone using the MobileForge app.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-17-2019, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well, this might be one thing to im doing totally wrong. I connect through my mobile phone using the MobileForge app.
What phone model? Do you use any adapter?

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #6 of 14 Old 10-17-2019, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What phone model? Do you use any adapter?

Oneplus6T...no..the tv and mobile are connected to same network. I connect to my mobile at the beginning when choose Find meter (wich is my i1-meter) and under Find source I fill in my mobiles IP-adress using mobile forge app.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-17-2019, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 82
This is all based on my FZ952, which I believe is similar to your FZ800. The FZ OLED's have separate settings for HDR and SDR, so your SDR calibration won't be lost when you calibrate HDR. However, some settings are shared between HDR and SDR, most notably the BRIGHTNESS setting, so don't adjust BRIGHTNESS in SDR to fix black levels, as it messes up the HDR setting. You'll need to adjust black levels using the 2.5 and 5 gamma settings.

Make sure you're using the correct meter profile. Don't use the OLED profile, use RAW. And use an accurate pattern generator. The FZ TV's are pretty accurately calibrated out-of-the-box, so there's a real danger of making things worse with an inaccurate pattern generator or meter.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-17-2019, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oneplus6T...no..the tv and mobile are connected to same network. I connect to my mobile at the beginning when choose Find meter (wich is my i1-meter) and under Find source I fill in my mobiles IP-adress using mobile forge app.
The patch generation device and solution (MobileForge) you are using is not accurate even for SDR calibration, as MobileForge and your mobile phone will send PC Level RGB-Triplets (0-255) to the TV, while you want RGB-Video (16-235).

Even if you external device with MobileForge, its not bit-perfect also, see that thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...cy-thread.html

You can use PGenerator (Rasberry Pi 3+ Model B based) which can generate bit-perfect RGB-Video patterns with CalMAN. Then add to PGenerator output an HD Fury device, for adding HDR10 Metadata and AVI Infoframe.

Using that method you will be able to have low-cost bit-perfect for RGB-Video patterns for SDR or HDR10.

Also even if a TV has a switch to convert SDR input signal to HDR, never use that, as you don't have control of the complete metadata that method will be use, so you can have HDR10 patterns but with incorrect patch generation for gamut.

post #9 of 14 Old 10-17-2019, 05:27 AM

If you don't want the expense of a Pi and HDFury, then for HDR calibration on a Panasonic OLED (FZ952) you could use R.Masciola's HDR-10 UHD Test Patterns, put onto a USB drive and played through the TV's own media player. That does all the switching into HDR (PQ) and HDR (HLG) for you. Although the standard HDR settings are pretty good, less than 3 dE
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	2628566

Last edited by tarbat; 10-17-2019 at 06:08 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-17-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbat View Post
If you don't want the expense of a Pi and HDFury, then for HDR calibration on a Panasonic OLED (FZ952) you could use R.Masciola's HDR-10 UHD Test Patterns, put onto a USB drive and played through the TV's own media player. That does all the switching into HDR (PQ) and HDR (HLG) for you. Although the standard HDR settings are pretty good, less than 3 dE
+1

For manual cal, its better idea to use patterns from your actual source player, SDR patterns for REC.709 and HDR10 patterns for REC.2020 as the results will be more accurate than using an un-trusted and non-reference patch generation solution.

post #11 of 14 Old 10-17-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
For manual cal, its better idea to use patterns from your actual source player,
What would you recommend where your main source players are the Panasonic OLED’s internal apps on the TV (Netflix, Rakuten, Amazon, etc)? I decided that it might be best to use the TV’s internal media player app for calibration patterns.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-17-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbat View Post
What would you recommend where your main source players are the Panasonic OLED’s internal apps on the TV (Netflix, Rakuten, Amazon, etc)? I decided that it might be best to use the TV’s internal media player app for calibration patterns.
You can use your TV media player then.
tarbat likes this.

post #13 of 14 Old 10-17-2019, 04:26 PM

i know this is off topic but do you have to calibrate seperate profiles one for 1080 and one for 4k?
post #14 of 14 Old 10-18-2019, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Poker View Post
i know this is off topic but do you have to calibrate seperate profiles one for 1080 and one for 4k?
4K SDR or 1080p SDR, both are using REC.709, so there no need for separate calibration.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page