Which calibration device to buy - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-19-2019, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Which calibration device to buy

Hi all,
I have been long time reader of this forum, but for once I need to ask help of you, which I didn't find my self.
So I want to buy calibration device to use it for LG C8 and bunch of pc monitors. I no professional etc. but want most eye candy I can.
So long story short there are bunch of X-rite and Datacolor devices, but I find hard to chose one. Oem, retail, colormunki, I1, SpyderX etc.
So which one you would be if you are willing to spend like 300'ish pesos??? (dollar/euro)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-19-2019, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semuels Blabla View Post
Hi all,

I have been long time reader of this forum, but for once I need to ask help of you, which I didn't find my self.

So I want to buy calibration device to use it for LG C8 and bunch of pc monitors. I no professional etc. but want most eye candy I can.

So long story short there are bunch of X-rite and Datacolor devices, but I find hard to chose one. Oem, retail, colormunki, I1, SpyderX etc.

So which one you would be if you are willing to spend like 300'ish pesos??? (dollar/euro)
I1 Display Pro
post #3 of 8 Old 10-19-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
To add to that, the i1Display Pro OEM is the same as the new, and more expensive, i1Display Pro Plus.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-19-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked: 4215
Quote:
Hi all,
Hi,

SpyderX is not so good at measuring low luminance patches, because of that weakness it will not able to measure the native black level of many LCD/LED's (If they will have black level lower from ~0.03 nits) and this is a major problem for proper gamma calculation for that display calibration. The performance is variable as the factory calibration is not so 'tight' and it can have bigger unit-per-unit variations compared to X-Rite colorimeters. Currently is not supported by all calibration software, like CalMAN.

i1PRO is a spectrophotometer and can't be used as a stand alone meter (as its lucking to measure low luminance patches and its slower), it can be used as a additional meter to a colorimeter to create meter correction tables for each display you have, for improving the colorimeter's color accuracy.

X-Rite ColorMunki has been discontinued, its not supported by all calibration software, like CalMAN or ChromaPure.

ColorMunki based to i1Display PRO hardware but its not having refreshing rate scan capability, so its slower and it will not have the same repeatability with specific display tech as the i1Display PRO which feature refreshing rate detection and synchronization.

BTW the ColorMunki has been discontinued and replaced from i1Display Studio (but we have to see what calibration software will support it...).

About i1Display PRO Retail/OEM, they are supported from all calibration software, Retail version is rated up to 1000 nits while OEM is rated up to 2000 nits, so with OEM you have flexibility to measure a lot of more HDR models with high-brightness which are currently available to the market. (can read down to ~0.003 nits)

BTW LightSpace/HCFR/DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS supports all the above meters.

Generally the i1Display PRO is the best choice for any calibration as a stand-alone meter for manual cal or 3D LUT profiling and as a future upgrade can be the addition of a spectrophotometer to create unique meter correction tables for each display you want to measure.

You can find a lot of info about meter profiling, meter capabilities here.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #5 of 8 Old 10-19-2019, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So how exactly you make out which is retail whic is oem?
post #6 of 8 Old 10-19-2019, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 1655
Quote:
So how exactly you make out which is retail whic is oem?
When you buy it. It will say Retail or OEM.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-21-2019, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at the open boxes on Amazon. Does this code a the end mean anything? Any opinions on buying one used?

X-Rite i1Display Pro (EODIS3)
post #8 of 8 Old 10-21-2019, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked: 4215
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbronco21 View Post
Looking at the open boxes on Amazon. Does this code a the end mean anything? Any opinions on buying one used?

X-Rite i1Display Pro (EODIS3)
Hi,

EODIS3 is the product code of the i1Display PRO Retail (1000 nits).

EO = Retail

DIS3 = i1Display 3 (i1Display PRO).

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page