i1D3 Pro for Optoma P1? (Blue laser + phosphor UST projector) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-28-2019, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
i1D3 Pro for Optoma P1? (Blue laser + phosphor UST projector)

Hello all,

I've been lurking this forum for over a decade and have finally run into a question I can't answer with the search function. So first post!

I would like to learn more about calibration have been planning on purchasing an i1D3 pro and learning as I went. I recently read, however, that its 10nm resolution is not ideal for laser based projectors. While I have other LCD TVs around my house I'd like to calibrate, my main display is an Optoma P1 (blue laser + phosphor DLP UST ). I understand there is equipment worth several thousands of dollars that would do a better job on this projector, but that is well outside my price range.

Can I get a decent calibration with an i1D3 pro on this projector, or is it not worth attempting? I'm okay with 95% improvement instead of 100%, but I don't want to end up as equally out of whack as the default settings. Is there a better option <~$300 , new or used?

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-29-2019, 02:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
I think you are confusing the i1D3 (i1Display Pro Colourimeter) with the i1Pro (i1Pro /2/3 Spectro).

https://www.lightillusion.com/i1_display_pro.html
https://www.lightillusion.com/i1_pro_2.html
(and https://www.lightillusion.com/i1_pro_3.html)

Also see: https://www.lightillusion.com/probe_use.html
(Ignore it is written for LightSpace - just look at the basic underlying info.)

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #3 of 5 Old 10-29-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3399 Post(s)
Liked: 4229
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello all,

I've been lurking this forum for over a decade and have finally run into a question I can't answer with the search function. So first post!

I would like to learn more about calibration have been planning on purchasing an i1D3 pro and learning as I went. I recently read, however, that its 10nm resolution is not ideal for laser based projectors. While I have other LCD TVs around my house I'd like to calibrate, my main display is an Optoma P1 (blue laser + phosphor DLP UST ). I understand there is equipment worth several thousands of dollars that would do a better job on this projector, but that is well outside my price range.

Can I get a decent calibration with an i1D3 pro on this projector, or is it not worth attempting? I'm okay with 95% improvement instead of 100%, but I don't want to end up as equally out of whack as the default settings. Is there a better option <~$300 , new or used?

Thank you for your help.
Hi,

For your budget, the X-Rite i1Display PRO colorimeter is the best choice you can make for the money, its fast and good to low light measurements.

But as it happens with all colorimeters, the accuracy of the color readings are based to what tables each colorimeter is coming from the factory and how close are these corrections to the model of projector/TV you want to calibrate.

There no (normal...not custom 3rd party company) colorimeter to the market with a correction table for laser projector, so to improve this weakness you need to buy (or rent if possible...rare to find that option) also a spectrophotometer (a consumer grade, like i1PRO2) to create meter correction table for the i1Display PRO per each projector/display you want to calibrate. This procedure will improve the color readings accuracy.

But with laser, as the spectral spike of laser is very narrow, you will see even better results if you use a high-end spectro, 5nm or lower, which cost more than 7-8K4 at least but there money are unreal high for a consumer to invest.

So for consumers, the best choice is to get the X-Rite i1PRO2 (as it has auto-correction capability also to prevent/fix small deviations), or find out and arrange a meter profiling with a professional where he will come to you only to create the meter correction table for your i1Display PRO using his hi-end spectro. (not available to all areas as a service).

See also:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post56851204
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post55168986

You can improve your knowledge between colorimeter/spectro and see details about meter correction tables, see there.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 10-31-2019 at 03:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-29-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Quoted: 1603 Post(s)
Liked: 2192
i1D3 Pro for Optoma P1? (Blue laser + phosphor UST projector)

The C6 HDR2000 has a laser phosphor EDR/meter mode made with a Minolta CS2000.

*Disclaimer: our company sells this device*

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #5 of 5 Old 10-31-2019, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3399 Post(s)
Liked: 4229
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
The C6 HDR2000 has a laser phosphor EDR/meter mode made with a Minolta CS2000.
C6HDR2000 which is a meter which with 3x higher cost from an OEM i1Display PRO and 4x higher from a Retail i1Display PRO where these tables are working only with paid license of CalMAN (and you can't use these tables with free license or free open source calibration software), it has 3 laser projector EDR (spectral) tables created in 2017 (CalMAN 2017 5.8.1 RC1 - Released @ 07 July 2017):

Projector (Laser Phosphor)
Projector (Laser Phosphor) - Panasonic RZ12K
Projector (Laser Phosphor) - Panasonic RZ970

The reason why it has 3 tables for lazer projectors (samples taken @ 2017) is because each laser projector has different spectral curves, so between diff. companies and models, there differences. (for that reason you see 2 tables for Panasonic projectors, one is 1x chip DLP, the other 3x chip DLP)

Also when you are using EDR spectral correction files for the i1Display PRO, you are not fixing the unit-per-unit variations of the meter, so even if a company will add to the meter an EDR spectral table using an Optoma P1 spectral sample, if you measure with 10x C6HDR2000/i1Display PRO's you will find deviations diff. per each meter.

This is happening because the EDR spectral correction tables are combined with factory calibration table to provide you the total correction offset, so since X-Rite manufacture the meters with +-0.004 xy and +-4% Y deviation specs (or higher), it can happen randomly one meter to be better from the other, but you can't expect more for that money, X-Rite has done the best job to offer that such good meter to such low price for all people to be able to invest for calibration.

As you can see below, X-Rite don't recommend for anyone to use these specs (for that reason there no specs also to any X-Rite page or PDF) because as the meters are not shipped individually one-by-one certified.... as its a low cost meter, the deviations to end product will be larger from these. So even if you use the best spectral EDR, this will not fix these meter tolerances from meter-to-meter variations.

The exact some tolerances have all the custom branded OEM meters also, like the C6-HDR2000 meters, since only X-Rite can characterize the sensor's spectral sensitivities, we have discussed about this here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post58386280

When you create meter correction table based to your own projector model, it will count and correct your colorimeter (unit-per-unit variations) which are not corrected when you are using EDR tables (which based to the meter factory calibration)....after after some years when the meter will start drift, your deviations will be larger when you are using EDR, while if you create a new meter correction table again (4-color matrix method) you will re-correct and include to your generated correction even natural aging drifting of your colorimeter.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page