Proper method of profiling i1 Display 3 to i1 Pro? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-30-2019, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Proper method of profiling i1 Display 3 to i1 Pro?

So I own an i1 Pro Rev. D spectrophotometer and I recently purchased an i1 Display 3 colorimeter.

I've read that, while the i1 Pro is very accurate, it can't read low light very well. On the other hand, the i1 Display 3 can read low light very well, but it drifts and can't be relied on to be accurate.

So I've been told that to get the best of both worlds, you should profile the i1 Display 3 to the i1 Pro.

The problem is I have no idea how to do this. Do you have any links on how to set this up? I assume I'll be using HCFR.

What am I practically gaining by using an i1 Display 3 profiled to an i1 Pro instead of just using the i1 Pro? Does it benefit the grayscale readings, gamma, or both?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-30-2019, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Hi,
have a look HERE to know more about probe matching. You should find some more specific details about how to create a correction matrix with HCFR on its own thread.

i1 Pro (and i1 Pro 2) is not accurate in the absolute meaning of the term, but it is surely better to use a colorimeter with a correction matrix rather than nothing. In my opinion, executing a correct probe matching (and verify the results) it is the most important step for a good calibration. If you do it wrong, you can’t trust your results.

TVs: Pioneer PDP-LX5090H, LG OLED55C8PLA | SintoAmp: Pioneer VSX-921 | BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT260EG | External LUT box: Entertainment Experience eeColor | Softwares: Light Illusion Lightspace HTP, Portrait Displays CalMAN Home Enthusiast 2018 R3, HCFR, DisplayCAL | Probes: x-rite i1 Pro 2 - i1 Display Pro OEM B-02, basICColor DISCUS | Test Pattern Generator: DVDO AVLab TPG

Last edited by Anger.miki; 10-31-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodefeld View Post
On the other hand, the i1 Display 3 can read low light very well, but it drifts and can't be relied on to be accurate.
The i1d3 doesn't drift to any appreciable degree.

Author of ArgyllCMS and ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 02:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3428 Post(s)
Liked: 4248
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodefeld View Post
The problem is I have no idea how to do this. Do you have any links on how to set this up? I assume I'll be using HCFR.

What am I practically gaining by using an i1 Display 3 profiled to an i1 Pro instead of just using the i1 Pro? Does it benefit the grayscale readings, gamma, or both?

Thanks for the help.
Hi,

i1PRO1 is a good to read for about 3 minutes, after the dark current measurements you will perform.

If you will use HCFR, there are some instructions: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post26648713

After the meter profiling, you will continue the whole calibration with your profiled i1Display PRO.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #5 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 15
QUESTION: after meter profiling [with CalMAN], if you "erase" the 1st profile & redo it with the SAME monitor/TV should the profile #s be the same as the initial profile?
post #6 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWalters View Post
QUESTION: after meter profiling [with CalMAN], if you "erase" the 1st profile & redo it with the SAME monitor/TV should the profile #s be the same as the initial profile?
If you are referring to the numbers in CalMAN's "Profiles" directory, Bob, yes, those will be the same. They are simply the actual serial numbers of the meters themselves. You can name the new profile during the creation process by selecting the Advanced mode.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #7 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3428 Post(s)
Liked: 4248
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWalters View Post
Hi Bob,

There will be small differences, all are related to the 8 WRGB total readings of ref. vs. profiled meter.

So if these 8 numbers are same, the generated 3x3 matrix will be the same.

As meters and displays will provide slight diff. measurements each time, there will be small diff. to the generated 3x3 matrix numbers also.

To be sure that your generated profile is valid you can verify it and compare with the values your ref. meter had.

As you have my calibration disk, you can use the Meter Profiling verification workflow (I designed @ 2012), as CalMAN's 2019 meter profile workflow has design errors and not working (which designed @ 2019).

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page