Calibration software/light meter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Rolls-Royce
  • 1 Post By Light Illusion

post #1 of 8 Old 11-22-2019, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Calibration software/light meter

Anyone know of any calibration software for the home enthusiast? Something priced reasonably but going beyond a calibration disc. I have video essentials bluray but would like to have a meter and software.

I thought I'd try rtings b9 calibration settings for my b9. Looks good but most likely not 100% accurate and honestly could be off substantially.

I have a lg b9 oled. No calibration in this area. Expensive anyways.

Sincerely

Cold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-22-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
OLEDs have numerous idiosyncracies that make them touchy to calibrate. Start reading here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...rice-talk.html
and here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...ce-thread.html
to see what you're in for.
strawberry and 1forsnow like this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 11-22-2019 at 09:24 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-22-2019, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 378
You can get an i1 display pro 3 for ~$250 and use it with HCFR (which is free). That would be your cheapest reasonably accurate entry point for home calibration. You'd be limited to SDR calibration only on the LG's, though. For another $145, you could purchase Calman Home for LG, which would allow you to use their autocal feature- although I'm fuzzy on how much integration there is with the B-series for 2019. Perhaps someone else could chime in with more details.

Thing is- at that point, you're not too far off from just being able to pay a pro to do you up properly. Where do you live? If you're in the continental US, you don't necessarily need a pro calibrator in you area. Most of 'em travel pretty wide swaths of the country throughout the year and can get to you the next time they travel to your neck of the woods. It's 100% worth it, in my opinion. As Rolls-Royce says above, LG's OLEDs can be a little tricky to properly calibrate, but the pros have the gear and knowledge to handle it.

Last edited by strawberry; 11-22-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-22-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
As stated, get an i1D3 probe and then try the different free manual calibration software systems.
HCFR is one option.
LightSpace ZRO is another.

The benefit of LightSpace ZRO is the way it works with Ted's Calibration Disc - one of the best available.

Steve
1forsnow likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #5 of 8 Old 11-22-2019, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 5225 Post(s)
Liked: 2056
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
You can get an i1 display pro 3 for ~$250 and use it with HCFR (which is free).
There’s currently a $35 rebate on the i1 Display 3.

A less expensive option is the Colormunki Display at about half the price. A little slower but is otherwise very similar to the i1D3.

JVC DLA-NX7; Denon AVR-X3400H; HD Fury Vertex; ATV4K; Fire TV Cube
JVC Projector Bright Curves; Optimizing HDR;
Creating a basic HDR curve using Arve’s Tool;
Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #6 of 8 Old 11-23-2019, 02:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3472 Post(s)
Liked: 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Cold View Post
Anyone know of any calibration software for the home enthusiast? Something priced reasonably but going beyond a calibration disc. I have video essentials bluray but would like to have a meter and software.

I thought I'd try rtings b9 calibration settings for my b9. Looks good but most likely not 100% accurate and honestly could be off substantially.

I have a lg b9 oled. No calibration in this area. Expensive anyways.

Sincerely

Cold
Hi Cold,

You can use HCFR or LightSpace ZRO, both are free software solutions.

Since you have DVE Blu-Ray then you can use it as it will be REC.709 and for SDR adjustments it will be fine.

Don't use any color filter glasses as they are not working anymore, see: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post57490620

The DVE disk don't have patterns to measure your color gamut (not a single one), it has for 21-Point grayscale only.

Also the pattern size is 18% Windows, this size will not be ideal for OLED as it will increase the panel temperature (compared to smaller sizes) so you can have repeatability issues after sometime, but you can perform the calibration with that pattern size.

Using smaller windows ~10% sized will be better idea.

About the instrument X-Rite i1Display PRO is the best choice for the money/performance.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #7 of 8 Old 11-23-2019, 02:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
You can get an i1 display pro 3 for ~$250 and use it with HCFR (which is free). That would be your cheapest reasonably accurate entry point for home calibration. You'd be limited to SDR calibration only on the LG's, though. For another $145, you could purchase Calman Home for LG, which would allow you to use their autocal feature- although I'm fuzzy on how much integration there is with the B-series for 2019. Perhaps someone else could chime in with more details.
Hi, the user can perform HDR10 or DV calibration using HDR10 or DV patterns as media files for example, using the Service Menu for 1/2-Point RGB balance first and then using the normal menu controls, it will work well.

CalMAN with AutoCAL is not supporting B9 currently, its was expecting to be supported in CalMAN 2019 R2, but it was not added.

Even if it will supported, currently if you perform AutoCAL with CalMAN, it will raise the black level of the display, this is a problem for at least 8 months, LG is working for a fix.

This problem affecting only AutoCAL using CalMAN in HDR10/DV, it will not affect manual cal.

3D LUT volumetric calibration also using CalMAN produce artifacts also, expecting improvement in the future, I have reported this many times from 2018.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #8 of 8 Old 11-23-2019, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
There’s currently a $35 rebate on the i1 Display 3.
The rebate is applicable only for US/Canada customers buying the instrument from specific dealers: http://rapid-rebates.com/xrite#/promotion/34405

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page