• 5 Post By ConnecTEDDD

post #1 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12803 Post(s)
Liked: 12144
Brightest budget meter?

Hey guys, looking to pick up a meter in the next few hours, i want to take advantage of the 10% off ebay.

I have a Samsung 82Q90R. Ive seen there are different models of the I1 Pro, an older model and a newer model that does up to 2000 nits. but are there any other models in the $200-$300 range that can go above 2000 nits? I previously had a 75Q9FN which does close to 2000 nits, but this 82Q90 i have blows the doors off it in terms of brightness, i think i may have a freak that does 3000 nits. Its so scorchingly bright that even me, a person who loves brightness, think its way too much and the blooming is very bad without severely turning down the brightness.

Could fixing my white points bring down the whites and help with the blooming?

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Hey guys, what is best, I want to buy - buy, my TV so bright lol. Will changing color help with panel construction defect?

(Oh yeah, its magic, you get so many more backlight dimming zones if you just believe...)

In other news, The Mandalorian has a peak brightness if 200 nits.

Oh I cant wait what those hollywood artists will do with the potential of everchanging HDR on a floating target. So excited.

Through the roof I tells ya!
-

Just FYI. If people like you try to calibrate their TVs, chances are...
Your Samsungs are QLEDs. QLEDs vary by a decent margin in terms of their spectral graph - meaning, which correction profile do you want to apply using your colorimeter?

LCD LED? Thats for phosphors based backlighting. Yours is Quantum dot I suppose?

Also you bought the TV that purposfully applies a wrong EOTF just to pump brightness in HDR content.

What a great joice.
-

Or in short - there is a threshold to what we can do with - hey guys, I own a smartphone (!) users.

One is to warn them, that doing everything by "what is best?", "what is most easy" - "I want to be smart on deal" standards, might lead to a worse display calibration than you've started with.

So a little less enthusiasm. A little more learning up front.

And all things considered, currently you'll end up with a misconfigured device, the way you're going.

Last edited by harlekin; 11-26-2019 at 04:11 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12803 Post(s)
Liked: 12144
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlekin View Post
Hey guys, what is best, I want to buy - buy, my TV so bright lol. Will changing color help with panel construction defect?

(Oh yeah, its magic, you get so many more backlight dimming zones if you just believe...)

In other news, The Mandalorian has a peak brightness if 200 nits.

Oh I cant wait what those hollywood artists will do with the potential of everchanging HDR on a floating target. so excited.

Through the roof I tells ya!
-

Just FYI. If people like you try to calibrate their TVs, chances are...
Your Samsungs are QLEDs. QLEDs vary by a decent margin in terms of their spectral graph - meaning, which correction profile do you want to apply using your colorimeter?

LCD LED? Thats for phosphors based backlighting. Yours is Quantum dot I suppose?

Also you bought the TV that purposfully applies a wrong EOTF just to pump brightness in HDR content.

What a great joice.
-

Or in short - there is a threshold to what we can do with - hey guys, I own a smartphone users.

One is to warn them, that doing everything by "what is best?", "what is most easy" - "I want to be smart on deal" standards, might lead to a worse display calibration than you've started with.

So a little less enthusiasm. A little more learning up front.

And all things considered, currently you'll end up with a misconfigured device, the way you're going.

Through this incoherent mess of a post, i can assure you that you did not help. Don't care about opinions, but i appreciate it lol

Im also not looking for reference. The Q90 was SUPPOSED to be less bright than the Q9FN, but it seems the 82" doesn't follow that.
ma1746 likes this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Last edited by ray0414; 11-26-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Of course you dont.

Let me check, if I'm stil working for the service department you contacted.

*Checking**Checking*

No.
-

Just to put your inner feelings at ease:

Its not about "'Can me colorimeter do 3000 nits? LOL?" its also about, by what margin of reliability (variability), has anyone certified it, for how long can the tv produce it without afterglow, or auto dimming, and so on.

So the quick answer is - no (?) consumer meter does 3000 nits with decent reliability. You are looking for a i1d3 (i1 Display Pro), but not the OEM and not the consumer version, and one that got produced after 2017 - and then that only has a 2000 nits luminance range, where it is considered 'accurate -if corrected'.

There are no other models in the price range - offering even close to a similar theoretical reliability. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...nce-range.html

And then with an EOTF as poor as the ones on your Samsungs, what do you even care calibrating HDR about? It will always be wrong.

But so wonderfully bright. And new one you bought even more brighter. For 12 seconds on a 5% window. Then automatically dimmed.

Your 3000 nits TV with the wrong EOTF will make watching 200 nits max brightness The Mandalorian so hyper! If it werent for all the blooming on starfields.

(And no, calibration will not make those go away. Its a design issue with LCDs (backlight zones, or even worse - when the panel is edge lit.).)
ray0414 likes this.

Last edited by harlekin; 11-26-2019 at 04:29 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Also, out of the box the i1 Display Pro will not come with a spectral correction for your TVs. So you will have to source a Spectroradiometer - with high accuracy at 3000 nits? - as well. To my knowledge thats not even available in the 2000 USD range.

If someone corrects me on this, I've learned something new.

So thats where the be careful, or you'll end up with a miscalibrated device notion comes from.

That 20% deal on ebay though...
post #6 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3467 Post(s)
Liked: 4293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Hey guys, looking to pick up a meter in the next few hours, i want to take advantage of the 10% off ebay.

I have a Samsung 82Q90R. Ive seen there are different models of the I1 Pro, an older model and a newer model that does up to 2000 nits. but are there any other models in the $200-$300 range that can go above 2000 nits? I previously had a 75Q9FN which does close to 2000 nits, but this 82Q90 i have blows the doors off it in terms of brightness, i think i may have a freak that does 3000 nits. Its so scorchingly bright that even me, a person who loves brightness, think its way too much and the blooming is very bad without severely turning down the brightness.

Could fixing my white points bring down the whites and help with the blooming?
Hi, the peak output specifications the marketing division of each company advertise the products is different from the actual display performance in real world. For example the 85Q900 is advertised as 4000 nits but this may happen in vivid mode and 2% window for just a second, if you calibrate it for HDR mode then it will have about ~2050 nits (or less).

To the price range you are searching in instrument, the i1Display PRO is the only option.

There 3 models:

i1Display PRO Retail (1000 rated from X-Rite)
i1Display PRO OEM (2000 rated from X-Rite)
i1Display PRO Plus Retail (2000 rated from X-Rite)

The Plus Retail introduced @ September 2019 to the retail market, but its not supported yet from any calibration software.

The OEM exist with 2000 nit capability from January 2017.

The physical/ebay/amazon etc. stores can sell the Retail versions of the meter.

The OEM meters are available only from specific on-line stores where have partnership with X-Rite to sell OEM meters.

Normal OEM or Retail are supported from all popular calibration software solutions.

When a meter is rated for 1000 nits, it doesn't mean that it will stop at 1000 nits, it can display to you over 2000 nits, but its not been approved from manufacturer to measure such levels.

For that reason each meter version has its own specs from X-Rite about the luminance range.

For example the Plus Retail and OEM are more expensive from normal Retail because they are rated for 2000 nits.

But the i1Display PRO (OEM/Retail/Plus Retail) is not coming with any table for a Quantum Dot display type.

For that reason you will have to use the default meter mode; the default factory calibration; but for improving your color accuracy (as a future step) is to profile your colorimeter using a spectro (hire a pro to perform it or rent/buy i1PRO2 for example, if possible...or buy i1PRO2).

Performing a four-color-matrix correction procedure, this will improve your colorimeter color accuracy. A lot of details are available here.

When someone don't have access to a spectro, a workaround to improve his color accuracy (for DisplayCAL/HCFR/ArgyllCMS users) is to try locating a CCSS (Colorimeter Correction Spectral Sample) file, if someone has measured with his spectro and uploaded that spectral file for your display.

But when you are using CCSS correction, you assume that the internal spectral data of X-Rite meter from the factory hasn't drifted, since the internal meter spectra + CCSS spectra data are used to create a correction matrix.
chunon, ray0414, Nillaz and 2 others like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page