Consumer level calibration with a TCL 5 series - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-13-2019, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Consumer level calibration with a TCL 5 series

I'm thinking about picking up an i1 Display Pro or Colormunki Display, mainly to calibrate my TV.

I've researched a lot here and elsewhere and have a good understanding of the basics, although I understand there's so much to learn as you calibrate more and more.

My question really is related to HDR10 and Dolby Vision calibration.

Most of the info you read here is specific to LG oleds, in fact I only found one thread where someone was trying to calibrate a TCL 4 series.

TCL TV's have a separate picture preset per input and a separate sub picture preset between SDR and HDR, however when you calibrate the TV's white balance it remembers the changes you make and locks them to your selected color temperature. This is fine though since it even remembers your last used color temp preset, not just per preset but also per sub preset.

How will calibration work with the TV? Will I need to use a different color temperature preset for HDR and SDR calibration in order to save my custom changes between SDR and HDR? Or will the white balance settings for SDR calibration also work well for HDR?

As for the CMS, there's only one custom preset and the custom preset is always the same regardless of SDR or HDR. The choices here are 1. Custom with your own changes. 2. Native and 3. Auto. Unlike with white balance, you can't have multiple custom presets used different for HDR or SDR. You either use Custom for all, or Custom and Native/Auto depending on your preferences.

My concern here is if I make adjustments in the CMS for SDR these adjustments will will apply to HDR also, unless I choose native or auto for either SDR or HDR and forgo the benefits of CMS for one or the other.

Can anyone offer any advice? I know calibration from the normal or cool preset will require a lot more input, will it be worth doing it separately for HDR?

Is there a way to calibrate Dolby Vision HDR yet? And how will that compare to HDR10 since they use the same preset?

What about CMS? Will my SDR corrections be valid for HDR too? Or is it best to ignore CMS for either SDR or HDR?

My TV doesn't have high peak brightness and will clip highlights above 300nits.

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
Goldeneye

Last edited by Dodgexander; 12-13-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-13-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Most manufacturers' CMS controls don't work well, introducing artifacts, so you should probably stay away from them. You will need dedicated HDR patterns to do HDR. DV is a whole 'nother ball game, and is really only "calibratable" on a few higher-end sets. Some use a file that certain commercial software can create and upload to the set and the TV bases the DV implementation on that. Others use a system that depends on a baseline Rec. 709 2.2 gamma calibration to layer HDR-10 and DV over. I don't believe TCL uses any of this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 4 Old 12-13-2019, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Most manufacturers' CMS controls don't work well, introducing artifacts, so you should probably stay away from them. You will need dedicated HDR patterns to do HDR. DV is a whole 'nother ball game, and is really only "calibratable" on a few higher-end sets. Some use a file that certain commercial software can create and upload to the set and the TV bases the DV implementation on that. Others use a system that depends on a baseline Rec. 709 2.2 gamma calibration to layer HDR-10 and DV over. I don't believe TCL uses any of this.
Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated. I am sure this info is out there somewhere and I've been trying desperately to find it, but haven't really found all the answers to my questions in one place.

So when Dolby Vision is used will it completely ignore the white balance/cms changes I've made to the HDR profile? Is it best for me to not change anything?

With the CMS artifacts, I haven't seen any myself so far after trying the same ones rtings.com used with their calibration but I'll have to keep a look out for them. Do they appear both in SDR and HDR?I read some remarks particulary with lg's where changing CMS resulted in noticeable artifacts to color test slides and in real content, particularly with people's faces but I can't say I really know what I'm looking for.

Eventually I'll probably look to use a htpc again, if anything for the want of being able to use 3d lut calibration, but right now I'm just looking for a casual way to get the best I can without spending a lot of money.

The Colormunki is on sale right now for $100 which is certainly a very attractive price but I worry I'll regret buying it instead of the i1 Display Pro. I know the limitations with read speed and commercial software compatibility, but will mainly be using either hcfr for the TV and displaycal for my computer monitors.

Should I worry about the future when it comes to calibrating Dolby Vision? If there's currently no way to calibrate it on my TV, will there ever be? I had assumed you could currently, at least with Calman but was unaware that it only supported select TVs.

As for white balance calibration, do most people use a different customised preset for HDR calibration or typically use the same custom one created for SDR? Do they opt to correct no white balance at all with HDR using instead another stock preset?

I read a calibration review of the TCL 6 series and the calibrator used the same white balance for HDR, which was better than stock but still had some pretty large errors. In particular he corrected a large red push in SDR mode that resulted in red rolling off sooner in HDR.. But he used the same preset for both instead of basing HDR and SDR white balance controls on different presets.

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
Goldeneye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-13-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
I honestly can't tell you how your display deals with HDR and DV. On some of the LGs, setting the base white balance in the Service Menu can also correct it for HDR and DV. But Dolby has a death grip on DV and how it works. Test patterns and generators for it are few and far between, and in most cases very expensive. Some displays work around it by calibrating the underlying display without actually changing anything in the DV setup itself, but with the TCL really being a lower-tier display (sorry), you probably won't have many options.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page