• 1 Post By Rolls-Royce

post #1 of 4 Old 01-07-2020, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question Cell Phone Calibration

I came across this video (
) where the guy is using a cell phone to calibrate the 2-point RGB settings on his TV. I'm curious as to what the opinion is as to how well this works. I know it's not going to be as good as professional grade equipment, but as a poor man's solution, if you have a phone with a pretty good camera (like an iPhone), would this be better/worse/same as just leaving the settings at factory default?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-08-2020, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogems1 View Post
I came across this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wC909lmnI4) where the guy is using a cell phone to calibrate the 2-point RGB settings on his TV. I'm curious as to what the opinion is as to how well this works. I know it's not going to be as good as professional grade equipment, but as a poor man's solution, if you have a phone with a pretty good camera (like an iPhone), would this be better/worse/same as just leaving the settings at factory default?
TCL currently uses a special app to calibrate their top-line TVs, but until last week, that was only available to people with a specific phone, then they added an iOS version. You can read through the TCL 8-series owner's threads over in the LCD Flat Panels area. IIRC, one of the folks there tried the app (but not on the specified phone) then went back with a proper meter and software and recalibrated the set. You can see his comments there.
This idea pops up from time to time, but without a camera of known accuracy for an app to work with, you're groping about in the dark and could just as easily make things worse.
BTW, a decent meter costs FAR less than any iPhone these days, and free calibration software is available. You'd be better off with that.
SuperFist likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 4 Old 01-08-2020, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
TCL currently uses a special app to calibrate their top-line TVs, but until last week, that was only available to people with a specific phone, then they added an iOS version. You can read through the TCL 8-series owner's threads over in the LCD Flat Panels area. IIRC, one of the folks there tried the app (but not on the specified phone) then went back with a proper meter and software and recalibrated the set. You can see his comments there.

Do you have a link? I tried checking the 8-series owner thread and found a couple posts of screen caps from the app, but nothing comparing it to professional equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
This idea pops up from time to time, but without a camera of known accuracy for an app to work with, you're groping about in the dark and could just as easily make things worse.
BTW, a decent meter costs FAR less than any iPhone these days, and free calibration software is available. You'd be better off with that.

I know the results will never be as good as professional equipment, I was just kind of curious if people thought it might sit somewhere between factory defaults on one end and pro level equipment on the other.

Also, any suggestions on the cheaper cameras? Last time I looked into it, it seemed like my TV (LG OLED C8) would also need a pattern generator -- though I have some test patterns that are at various levels of gray if that would suffice -- which sent the total cost waaaaay above what I'd be willing to spend at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-08-2020, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogems1 View Post
Do you have a link? I tried checking the 8-series owner thread and found a couple posts of screen caps from the app, but nothing comparing it to professional equipment.

I know the results will never be as good as professional equipment, I was just kind of curious if people thought it might sit somewhere between factory defaults on one end and pro level equipment on the other.

Also, any suggestions on the cheaper cameras? Last time I looked into it, it seemed like my TV (LG OLED C8) would also need a pattern generator -- though I have some test patterns that are at various levels of gray if that would suffice -- which sent the total cost waaaaay above what I'd be willing to spend at the moment.
See: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...rice-talk.html
Posts 3 and 5.
A popular meter is the XRite I1 Display Pro, known hereabouts as the I1D3. It's available in OEM and Retail flavors. You can shop around for the lowest price on the Retail meters. There's also a low cost pattern generator making waves here, the Raspberry Pi-based PGenerator. See this thread for more info: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...cy-thread.html

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page