Optoma CinemaX P1 HDR Calibration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-11-2020, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Optoma CinemaX P1 HDR Calibration

I'm hoping there is someone that can help me. I purchased the Optoma P1 when it came to market, but I haven't been happy with the picture I'm getting when I watch anything in HDR. All the colors look dull and the picture itself almost seems to have a "sepia-ish" tone to it. I have messed with the settings and searched the internet for anyone else having the same issues as me, but I cannot find anything. Is there anyone out there that has found good picture settings for the HDR (not HDR Sim.) mode? If so, can you please post them for me. I realize it is a pain to write out all of the picture settings, but I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you to anyone who could provide me with some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-11-2020, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...r-ust-ces.html

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-2020, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much to Rolls-Royce for the link. For what I found, the colors still don't pop as much as I would like, but it definitely is a lot better than what it was. At least it gives me a good starting point to play with. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-12-2020, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalEl38 View Post
Thanks so much to Rolls-Royce for the link. For what I found, the colors still don't pop as much as I would like, but it definitely is a lot better than what it was. At least it gives me a good starting point to play with. Thanks again!
Where did you find the settings on that link? I didn’t see anything.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-13-2020, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I just tried to post the link, but apparently I have to post at least 5 times to include a link and I haven't done that, so I'm sorry, you will just have to go to the appropriate forum and find it. But the post is in this catagory:

Display Devices > Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Look at post #1799 , I found it on page #60 at the bottom of the page. The post is by Christian Spiga, so thanks go to him. Those are the settings I used to start with, then just changed a few things to get more of a picture I liked. It's still not perfect, but it is a lot better in my opinion.

Also, something I didn't point out in my original post is I use the new Nvidia Shield Pro to stream all my content and when I watch something in HDR on Netflix (the show Our Planet, for example), it looks amazing. But when I watch an HDR movie on Vudu, or even with my 4K Blu-Ray player, that is when I have the issue of things not looking that great. Using these settings as a starting point, I got the picture to look okay but it still looks like there is a slight haze over everything. It's like looking through a pair of dirty glasses. Hopefully that makes sense. I could definitely be wrong, but from what I've read, it looks like the P1 just has some HDR issues anyway. Hopefully an update in the future will help.

I hope that answers your question. Please let us know if that was helpful to you or not. Thanks.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-14-2020, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalEl38 View Post
Okay, I just tried to post the link, but apparently I have to post at least 5 times to include a link and I haven't done that, so I'm sorry, you will just have to go to the appropriate forum and find it. But the post is in this catagory:

Display Devices > Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Look at post #1799 , I found it on page #60 at the bottom of the page. The post is by Christian Spiga, so thanks go to him. Those are the settings I used to start with, then just changed a few things to get more of a picture I liked. It's still not perfect, but it is a lot better in my opinion.

Also, something I didn't point out in my original post is I use the new Nvidia Shield Pro to stream all my content and when I watch something in HDR on Netflix (the show Our Planet, for example), it looks amazing. But when I watch an HDR movie on Vudu, or even with my 4K Blu-Ray player, that is when I have the issue of things not looking that great. Using these settings as a starting point, I got the picture to look okay but it still looks like there is a slight haze over everything. It's like looking through a pair of dirty glasses. Hopefully that makes sense. I could definitely be wrong, but from what I've read, it looks like the P1 just has some HDR issues anyway. Hopefully an update in the future will help.

I hope that answers your question. Please let us know if that was helpful to you or not. Thanks.
Thank you, I was able to find it so I appreciate your help.

Additionally, i'm also using the Nvidia Shield Pro and i'm seeing some of the same things as you. For instance (and I need to double check this) but HDR only displays properly on 23.98hz/59.95hz and wasn't displaying correctly at 24/60hz. I did test out a 4K HDR Blu-Ray and it looked fantastic but i'm using the Sony UBP-X700. Also on my Amazon Firestick 4K everything seemed to work correctly, it was showing 10-bit 4:4:4 HDR with frame rate matching so no issues there. Definitely more testing to do. Right now i'm trying to get the brightness dialed in for HD and 4K and bring out the blacks as much as possible.

Please keep me posted on what you find and i'll certainly share what's been working for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
cinemax , Optoma , optoma p1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page