question that's probably been answered before - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Dominic Chan
  • 1 Post By Rolls-Royce
  • 1 Post By liberator72
  • 1 Post By toby5

post #1 of 24 Old 02-24-2020, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 33
question that's probably been answered before

Can I use an EFI ES-2000 spectro to profile an i1 display pro in calman?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-24-2020, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
You're right, it has been asked, but I don't remember the answer. You can do a forum search.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 24 Old 02-24-2020, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
You're right, it has been asked, but I don't remember the answer. You can do a forum search.
Thanks for replying anyways. I did do forum searches, but I was looking for more specifics. Will the EFI ES-2000 show up as an i1 pro 2 in calman?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 02-26-2020, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5606 Post(s)
Liked: 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby5 View Post
Thanks for replying anyways. I did do forum searches, but I was looking for more specifics. Will the EFI ES-2000 show up as an i1 pro 2 in calman?
You can probably get the quickest answer by calling PD tech line.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #5 of 24 Old 02-26-2020, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5606 Post(s)
Liked: 3790
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...php?p=57789030

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #6 of 24 Old 02-26-2020, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the answers. Now I'm just sitting on the fence about whether to pull the trigger or not.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-04-2020, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

alright, I got the efi es-2000 spectro. I have it reading as an i1 pro 2 in calman, it passed all tests in x rite diagnostics tool as well. It did not come with a tripod mount. Does anyone know of any way to mount the spectro to a tripod?
post #8 of 24 Old 03-04-2020, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 5798 Post(s)
Liked: 2324
Quote:
alright, I got the efi es-2000 spectro. I have it reading as an i1 pro 2 in calman, it passed all tests in x rite diagnostics tool as well. It did not come with a tripod mount. Does anyone know of any way to mount the spectro to a tripod?
This is what I use, a phone holder:

https://www.amazon.ca/Holder-Smartph.../dp/B07KM1PKRZ
Rolls-Royce and shoman94 like this.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-04-2020, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
This is what I use, a phone holder:

https://www.amazon.ca/Holder-Smartph.../dp/B07KM1PKRZ
Nice, thank you very much
post #10 of 24 Old 03-04-2020, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
CalMAN used to sell a tripod mount for the I1 Pro that also works with the Pro 2. They may still have some.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 03-04-2020 at 07:50 PM.
post #11 of 24 Old 03-07-2020, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

So, I've been messing around the the new spectro and trying to profile. I haven't been able to fully get 0.001 on all colors just yet. I still get just a few numbers off on red and green it seems. They aren't large numbers, but still more than the recommended 0.001. I would like to know best practices, or tips and tricks I should maybe try on my next go round. What I did on my last profile was set the spectro and colorimeter side by side because it was the easiest way for me to maneuver them both. Also, should I have the TV calibrated already on the profile, and then try to do my next calibration after profiling, or just profile cold, out of the box?
post #12 of 24 Old 03-08-2020, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
So, I've been messing around the the new spectro and trying to profile. I haven't been able to fully get 0.001 on all colors just yet. I still get just a few numbers off on red and green it seems. They aren't large numbers, but still more than the recommended 0.001. I would like to know best practices, or tips and tricks I should maybe try on my next go round. What I did on my last profile was set the spectro and colorimeter side by side because it was the easiest way for me to maneuver them both. Also, should I have the TV calibrated already on the profile, and then try to do my next calibration after profiling, or just profile cold, out of the box?
Ted created a fantastic thread with some great information regarding FCMM.

See the thread HERE

LG OLED65C9MLB**Denon AVR-X3500H**Focal Sib Evo Atmos 5.1.2**Sky Q UHD**Xbox One X**Panasonic DP-UB820**ATV 4K**Harmony Elite
i1D3 OEM**i1D3 Retail**i1 Pro2 OEM**LightSpace HTP**CalMAN Home for LG**RPi Pgenerator**Ted's Disk & Media Files**S & M HD & UHD HDR Benchmark Disks**HD Fury Integral 2
post #13 of 24 Old 03-08-2020, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberator72 View Post
Ted created a fantastic thread with some great information regarding FCMM.

See the thread HERE
Thank you, reading now.
post #14 of 24 Old 03-09-2020, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Well, that didn't help. I tried changing to an exact direct view and the numbers are crazy off the chart, wrong. I can't get 0.001 on anything, and I tried multiple times. It just kept changing error number, but nothing where it should be. Should I have anything set up in Calman? Change the TV settings? Any help here?
post #15 of 24 Old 03-09-2020, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, that was a PITA, and I still don't know if it was correct. I got all numbers matching in validation, except by like 0.001 on the numbers on this last run. I was running it wrong apparently. Again, I did this by placing meters side by side. This is the only way I've got numbers that are even half way decent.
post #16 of 24 Old 03-09-2020, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok, that was a PITA, and I still don't know if it was correct. I got all numbers matching in validation, except by like 0.001 on the numbers on this last run. I was running it wrong apparently. Again, I did this by placing meters side by side. This is the only way I've got numbers that are even half way decent.
Probe matching can be an art in itself, but once you get your methodology correct you should be able to get repeatedly good matches every time. Ideally you should be profiling with your meters off screen and matching field of view. For the i1Pro2/i1d3 combination, this means the i1Pro2 at 178mm from the screen, and the i1d3 at 153mm from the screen to read a 25mm diameter patch with both probes. But the thing with measuring off screen is the probes need to be lined up correctly and be as perfectly perpendicular to the screen as possible. I have my i1Pro2 on a tripod, and my i1d3 on a boom mic stand to make this easier and because of this I can actually profile at longer distances to read more of the displayed patch. You also need to ensure your environment is completely light controlled when profiling off screen as stray light can also introduce errors.

If any of that proves to be too difficult, then you can profile in contact mode and if that is what is giving you reasonable results then stick with doing it that way. Nobody will chastise you for it

LG OLED65C9MLB**Denon AVR-X3500H**Focal Sib Evo Atmos 5.1.2**Sky Q UHD**Xbox One X**Panasonic DP-UB820**ATV 4K**Harmony Elite
i1D3 OEM**i1D3 Retail**i1 Pro2 OEM**LightSpace HTP**CalMAN Home for LG**RPi Pgenerator**Ted's Disk & Media Files**S & M HD & UHD HDR Benchmark Disks**HD Fury Integral 2
post #17 of 24 Old 03-09-2020, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Probe matching can be an art in itself, but once you get your methodology correct you should be able to get repeatedly good matches every time. Ideally you should be profiling with your meters off screen and matching field of view. For the i1Pro2/i1d3 combination, this means the i1Pro2 at 178mm from the screen, and the i1d3 at 153mm from the screen to read a 25mm diameter patch with both probes. But the thing with measuring off screen is the probes need to be lined up correctly and be as perfectly perpendicular to the screen as possible. I have my i1Pro2 on a tripod, and my i1d3 on a boom mic stand to make this easier and because of this I can actually profile at longer distances to read more of the displayed patch. You also need to ensure your environment is completely light controlled when profiling off screen as stray light can also introduce errors.

If any of that proves to be too difficult, then you can profile in contact mode and if that is what is giving you reasonable results then stick with doing it that way. Nobody will chastise you for it
That is the exact same set up that I have, i1 pro 2 on tripod with Iphone holder and boom mic stand for i1 display pro. The only way I was even able to get better results was placing them side by side, not moving one after the other in same spot. I didn't like the calibration it created. This is why I tried again with direct contact method to see if it would give me better results, and it did give me better numbers on that final run, again with the meters side by side.
post #18 of 24 Old 03-09-2020, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is the exact same set up that I have, i1 pro 2 on tripod with Iphone holder and boom mic stand for i1 display pro. The only way I was even able to get better results was placing them side by side, not moving one after the other in same spot. I didn't like the calibration it created. This is why I tried again with direct contact method to see if it would give me better results, and it did give me better numbers on that final run, again with the meters side by side.
If you are getting a valid correction using that method then I would continue to use that for now, but in the meantime if you are interested in perfecting your setup then you can always experiment now and then in your spare time.

There are many variables that can introduce errors when probe matching, when I first got my i1Pro2 I profiled in contact mode with both probes initially, but spent hours experimenting with different positions, distances and luminance among other things before I finally got my methodology nailed down.

post #19 of 24 Old 03-09-2020, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you are getting a valid correction using that method then I would continue to use that for now, but in the meantime if you are interested in perfecting your setup then you can always experiment now and then in your spare time.

There are many variables that can introduce errors when probe matching, when I first got my i1Pro2 I profiled in contact mode with both probes initially, but spent hours experimenting with different positions, distances and luminance among other things before I finally got my methodology nailed down.
Are there any settings in Calman itself that i should change? I notice when you bring it up, it's set up to BT1886. I am doing this with a Sony X950G, and it wants you to calibrate to Power 2.2. Should I try and do a calibration before profiling to maybe get a closer read on everything? On the i1 pro 2 section, I see there's 20 samples, and I'm unsure of what that means exactly. That is when you bring up the meter section. Should I try and optimize the pattern selection?
post #20 of 24 Old 03-09-2020, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are there any settings in Calman itself that i should change? I notice when you bring it up, it's set up to BT1886. I am doing this with a Sony X950G, and it wants you to calibrate to Power 2.2. Should I try and do a calibration before profiling to maybe get a closer read on everything? On the i1 pro 2 section, I see there's 20 samples, and I'm unsure of what that means exactly. That is when you bring up the meter section. Should I try and optimize the pattern selection?
Meter profiling doesn't really take gamma into account. You are only reading 4 patches at the same stimulus level. Your display should be in its native colorspace for profiling, or as close to it as you can get. You also want to have the TV not clipping any of the colors. And I didn't get good results until the meters were aimed at the same area of the screen, ie., tilted in slightly. Poor screen uniformity can cause issues otherwise.
liberator72 likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #21 of 24 Old 03-09-2020, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Within CalMAN there is an actual Meter Profiling Workflow. If you use the workflow then all settings should be pre set for you. Whilst I have used it in the past, I don't actually use CalMAN to generate my profiles. I create my probe matches using LightSpace and import them using the Four Color Matrix Tool as I use LightSpace more often and can validate more thoroughly using that software and Excel worksheet.

On the display side, you ideally want to profiling at the displays native gamut (usually Wide) and at the target luminance you will be calibrating to (typically 100 nits for your dark room for example). As usual, all image processing within the display disabled to be safe.

If you are using full field patterns, try experimenting with windowed patterns (10%), also try experimenting with simultaneous and consecutive measurements.
Rolls-Royce likes this.

post #22 of 24 Old 03-09-2020, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

With this calibration I am more pleased. It's more back in line with my original calibrations. What I am noticing is what the spectro is doing with the noise, which I like, a lot. It's changing the grain. I may have to keep trying though because I still don't feel like it's exactly where it should be.
post #23 of 24 Old 03-10-2020, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

SO I pulled the tripods back out and ran the meters pointed towards the same spot this time. Each time I do this, it feels like I'm trying to play twister, right hand on the red dot, left foot on the green dot, measure tile, left hand on the yellow dot, left foot on the orange dot, keyboard enter, don't move! read. I finally got all readings in NIST specifications, and then telling people "I finally got all 4 colors within -+ 0.001 + -+1.5 Luminance!" with a yayyyyyyy, shrug reaction : /
Rolls-Royce likes this.
post #24 of 24 Old 03-11-2020, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I have a new question. The numbers I'm reading, do I need to try to bring them in in anyway for each color for the reading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page