• 1 Post By mombasa123
  • 1 Post By Rolls-Royce

post #1 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
HDR Calibration

Hello, I recently had my q90r samsung calibrated by bestbuy as it was included in the purchase. Everything was fine until I found out that they don't calibrate HDR. The calibrator said it takes too long and simply adjusted a few color settings by eye in HDR mode.

After this disappointing experience, I am tempted to either purchase hardware and learn or have someone else calibrate for me in vancouver b.c.

Can anyone point me to a good guide I could use? I am also wondering if its possible to use the same White balance settings from the calibrated SDR mode in HDR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 214
subscribed.

i am in this same boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 55C8, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503, Panamax M5400, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield Pro
Definitive Technology: BP9060 Front left/right/CS9040 center/A90 front Atmos/ProMonitor 800 rear Atmos/Mirage: MX bookshelves rear left/right
Rythmik FVX15
post #3 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Milano View Post
Hello, I recently had my q90r samsung calibrated by bestbuy as it was included in the purchase. Everything was fine until I found out that they don't calibrate HDR. The calibrator said it takes too long and simply adjusted a few color settings by eye in HDR mode.

After this disappointing experience, I am tempted to either purchase hardware and learn or have someone else calibrate for me in vancouver b.c.

Can anyone point me to a good guide I could use? I am also wondering if its possible to use the same White balance settings from the calibrated SDR mode in HDR?
https://calmankb.groovehq.com/help/c...ng-walkthrough

Q90 has AutoCal. If Best Buy is offering ISF services and they don't include the HDR portion I would rock the boat and get a refund or partial refund or have them send a more seasoned tech.

EDIT: WOW, I just found on their website that they DO NOT calibrate any HDR modes.

What a waste.

Emotiva + Energy = Love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 12:52 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Milano View Post

Look up HCFR it a free program with a meter and some learning you can get good results.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have given up on HDR Calibration on my Samsung Q9FN. It's nigh on impossible. Have spent days and more days on it. The only setting I change now is the Contrast depending on the mastering content (43 for 1000 nits and 46 for 4000 nits). This is to match the EOTF curve.

No, you can't use the SDR WB settings. It's totally different from HDR. Even the HDR 21 point controls are wildly different from SDR. While its easy enough to calibrate 2 point HDR WB, that just causes crazy swings in the 21 point which I (and CalMan Autocal) found impossible to fix.

Will start a thread with details etc on why I'm giving up in case others find it useful
Rolls-Royce likes this.

Last edited by mombasa123; 03-02-2020 at 06:47 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-02-2020, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis1041 View Post
Look up HCFR it a free program with a meter and some learning you can get good results.

Not in HDR on the Q90, you can't...

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #7 of 14 Old 03-02-2020, 06:13 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Not in HDR on the Q90, you can't...
What makes the q90 incapable of calibration in hdr?

post #8 of 14 Old 03-02-2020, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis1041 View Post
What makes the q90 incapable of calibration in hdr?

Check the post from #mombasa123 above. Look at his previous posts for specifics. In addition, you must have some form of signal generator that can create HDR test patterns or specialized HDR test discs.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 03-02-2020 at 08:13 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-02-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Check the post from #mombasa123 above. Look at his previous posts for specifics. In addition, you must have some form of signal generator that can create HDR test patterns or specialized HDR test discs.
Thanks RR - I'll start a new thread on this. While QLED is great in many areas, it's certainly is not and does not follow reference - Christ knows how some (well one) reviewer gave it Reference Standard rating!! Beginning to wish I had bought an OLED …….
BobWalters likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-03-2020, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hello, In the nanocell 2019 sm9000 and sm9500 models at what levels do you have the backlight in the SDR, HDR and Dolby Digital modes after calibration?
Thanks,
post #11 of 14 Old 03-03-2020, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombasa123 View Post
Thanks RR - I'll start a new thread on this. While QLED is great in many areas, it's certainly is not and does not follow reference - Christ knows how some (well one) reviewer gave it Reference Standard rating!! Beginning to wish I had bought an OLED …….
I wouldn't be too hasty there. Look at the hoops the OLED boys are having to jump through, and those change year to year, model to model. No consumer TV is free of vices and peculiarities.
mombasa123 likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #12 of 14 Old 03-03-2020, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitxan View Post
hello, In the nanocell 2019 sm9000 and sm9500 models at what levels do you have the backlight in the SDR, HDR and Dolby Digital modes after calibration?
Thanks,
The nanocell TVs are LG, if I remember correctly. This thread is currently focused on Samsungs. You may want to ask in the user's thread for your model over in the "LCD Flat Panels" area or an actual LG calibration thread.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 03-03-2020 at 02:32 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-03-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be too hasty there. Look at the hoops the OLED boys are having to jump through, and those change year to year, model to model. No consumer TV is free of vices and peculiarities.
Fair point. Just so frustrating as the QLED is terrific in SDR (caveat black level crush on star fields due to local dimming). What burns is that Samsung deliberately chose not to follow reference standard in HDR (by bumping up the brightness in the mid range). That causes all sorts of issues elsewhere. They could have at least followed reference in Movie mode and do what they like with Standard etc.

Totally with Vincent on this - name and shame

Sigh.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-06-2020, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
FWIW Best Buy’s official scope of work for calibration offers either Day and Night SDR modes, OR either the SDR Day or SDR Night mode and an HDR mode. The OP should therefore be able to ask for a recall and request a tech who knows what they are doing. I can guarantee you that this is at least the case in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page