Setting Contrast/Brightness with Blu-ray vs ATV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dominic Chan
  • 1 Post By Anger.miki

post #1 of 4 Old 03-14-2020, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Setting Contrast/Brightness with Blu-ray vs ATV

Hello,
I use an Apple TV 4K for all my media watching. Using YCbCr which is 16-235 output from it does anyone know if that is accurate for displaying mkv and other video patterns to set contrast and brightness? I ask as I’m having a difficult time setting contrast on my Samsung qled.
Or do I need to go out and buy a Blu-ray player to set these (I’d prefer not to as i won’t use it afterwards).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-14-2020, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
The Apple TV has issues. See here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...cy-thread.html

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 4 Old 03-22-2020, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 5797 Post(s)
Liked: 2324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentash View Post
Hello,
I use an Apple TV 4K for all my media watching. Using YCbCr which is 16-235 output from it does anyone know if that is accurate for displaying mkv and other video patterns to set contrast and brightness? I ask as I’m having a difficult time setting contrast on my Samsung qled.
Or do I need to go out and buy a Blu-ray player to set these (I’d prefer not to as i won’t use it afterwards).

Thanks
If you use a Blu-ray player to set contrast and brightness, the settings will only be valid when you’re watching Blu-ray.

The usual rule is to use the same device to do calibration, as the device you’ll be using to watch media. In this particular case, two wrongs do make a right.
Rolls-Royce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-26-2020, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Apple TV 4K displays a darker picture compared to the reference. It needs a lower gamma settings. For example, while a bit perfect source returns an average gamma of 2.40, ATV4K returns 2.43. That needs to be calibrated separately.
Rolls-Royce likes this.

T.U.C. Master | TVs: Pioneer PDP-LX5090H, LG OLED55C8PLA | AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX-921 | BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT260EG | External LUT box: Entertainment Experience eeColor | Softwares: Light Illusion Lightspace HTP, CM Enthusiast, HCFR, DisplayCAL | Probes: Klein K10-A, Jeti spectraval 1501, X-Rite i1 Display Pro OEM Rev. B-02 | Test Pattern Generator: Riccardo Biasiotto’s PGenerator (RPi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page