Test patterns for black and contrast 4K? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Anger.miki

post #1 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Test patterns for black and contrast 4K?

Hi,
I have always used AVSHD709 for 1080p but I have bought a 4K tv now LG and I’m wondering what pattern I can use to set black and contrast?

Can I still use the AVSHD709 or?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked: 1545
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstolpe View Post
Hi,
I have always used AVSHD709 for 1080p but I have bought a 4K tv now LG and I’m wondering what pattern I can use to set black and contrast?

Only for SDR. For HDR you really should have a meter and calibration software. Due to HDR's ST2084 absolute luminance curve (for instance, 100% is always supposed to be 10,000 nits), and the resultant need for tone mapping in displays, clipping patterns do not work the same way as in SDR. You should be matching the TV's luminance curve to ST2084 until the display flatlines, and for that you need measurements. Most TVs base their HDR performance on the contrast and brightness set as HDR mode defaults, so they really shouldn't be adjusted.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Quote:
Hi,
I have always used AVSHD709 for 1080p but I have bought a 4K tv now LG and I’️m wondering what pattern I can use to set black and contrast?

Only for SDR. For HDR you really should have a meter and calibration software. Due to HDR's ST2084 absolute luminance curve (for instance, 100% is always supposed to be 10,000 nits), and the resultant need for tone mapping in displays, clipping patterns do not work the same way as in SDR. You should be matching the TV's luminance curve to ST2084 until the display flatlines, and for that you need measurements. Most TVs base their HDR performance on the contrast and brightness set as HDR mode defaults, so they really shouldn't be adjusted.
I got meter and calman. So for the btb and contrast I can use AVSHD709 if it’s 4K without HDR? Not all films have hdr.

I use to set btb and contrast by eye as the pattern makes it easy (flashing stripes)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I got meter and calman. So for the btb and contrast I can use AVSHD709 if it’s 4K without HDR? Not all films have hdr.

I use to set btb and contrast by eye as the pattern makes it easy (flashing stripes)
That's fine for SDR. Non-HDR 4K is also Rec.709, so you'll be good to go. HDR gets complicated.

Better I feel than AVSHD709 is Ted Aspiotis' disc. He sells either the complete disc or the files from his website, displaycalibrations.com. A number of us here use it, and it is excellent.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #5 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
I got meter and calman. So for the btb and contrast I can use AVSHD709 if it’️s 4K without HDR? Not all films have hdr.

That's fine for SDR. Non-HDR 4K is also Rec.709, so you'll be good to go. HDR gets complicated...
Is it the same if I use CalMans own MobileForge trough AppleTV 4K to get the testpattern for the RGB and greyscale I guess?

I’ll buy the CalMan home for LG when I need to do the HDR.
I have the old euth version
post #6 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is it the same if I use CalMans own MobileForge trough AppleTV 4K to get the testpattern for the RGB and greyscale I guess?

I’ll buy the CalMan home for LG when I need to do the HDR.
For HDR, you mean? Nope. HDR patterns must have the proper metadata, and using any of the media players that can be set to "always HDR" does NOT satisfy that requirement. I'd also read through the thread by @Anger.miki on low cost pattern generation solutions. He has tested the AT4K and you'll want to see what he says.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #7 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

I’️ll buy the CalMan home for LG when I need to do the HDR.
For HDR, you mean? Nope. HDR patterns must have the proper metadata, and using any of the media players that can be set to "always HDR" does NOT satisfy that requirement. I'd also read through the thread by @Anger.miki on low cost pattern generation solutions. He has tested the AT4K and you'll want to see what he says.
I did mean for the SDR. Can I use the AppleTV 4 as the generation for that as I have done for my old 1080p tv?
post #8 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did mean for the SDR. Can I use the AppleTV 4 as the generation for that as I have done for my old 1080p tv?
See this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...cy-thread.html

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #9 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Unfortunately, Apple naming created a bit of confusion nowadays, but as @Rolls-Royce already suggested, you might want to take a look to that thread.
Rolls-Royce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page