strange issue with Xrite i1Display Pro Plus and a brand new Panasonic 55VT60 plasma - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-21-2020, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
strange issue with Xrite i1Display Pro Plus and a brand new Panasonic 55VT60 plasma

I just purchased a i1Display Pro Plus.
Using the included software It calibrated my Benq 10 bit displays and my surface 7 great.
But when it comes to my plasma the calibration clips the reds and turns all dark gray and black in to a redish shadows.

I have followed the procedures carefully and tried all kinds of different setups other than plasma. Always the same results
Is it possible that my Dell computer that is connected to the plasma to have some faulty usbs?
I tried all ports.
Have anybody else experienced that or have any tips?

Intel 8500 i5 integrated video.
everything disabled in the intel graphic settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-22-2020, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The included software (i1Profiler) would be displaying full screen patterns. That is not at all recommended for Plasma TVs due to ABL/ASBL issues. So, you should try profiling the display with test patches of size about 10% screen area and with the rest of the screen black (or dark grey). You may have to experiment with the pattern size and the background level for your specific TV to get the best results. And I guess you will have to use a third party software for this purpose.

Last edited by omarank; 05-22-2020 at 10:38 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-23-2020, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
The included software (i1Profiler) would be displaying full screen patterns. That is not at all recommended for Plasma TVs due to ABL/ASBL issues. So, you should try profiling the display with test patches of size about 10% screen area and with the rest of the screen black (or dark grey). You may have to experiment with the pattern size and the background level for your specific TV to get the best results. And I guess you will have to use a third party software for this purpose.
Thanks.
Which software.
Why would the diming insert red in to everything black?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-24-2020, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 31
When you profile a plasma TV with fullscreen patterns, the light output behaviour of the display is very different from what it is when you watch a video (or still images). It is so because the APL of a real content is very low as compared to fullscreen patterns. So, you can think of it as using another display's profile for calibration of your TV (here calibration implies color transform generation by an ICC aware application). That explains why you see inaccuracies like red bias in the dark tones.

You can use Argyll/DisplayCAL (free software) for profile generation for your TV. CalMAN and SpaceMan ICC are other alternatives (you will need to buy the license). I am not very sure though how useful an ICC Device Profile will be for a Plasma TV. For the most precise calibration, you will need to generate a 3DLUT or an ICC Device Link Profile for your TV, to be used in an application or a LUT box which can process the LUT/ICC Device Link Profile.

Last edited by omarank; 05-24-2020 at 12:42 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-24-2020, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Calman Home for Panasonic will allow you to use Control Cal to calibrate the VT60 over ISFcc.

I did this with my previous 65" VT60 and achieved great results.

Emotiva + Energy = Love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page