DIY calibration, what do I need? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-22-2020, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
DIY calibration, what do I need?

Hi,

I've been wanting to have my LG B7 OLED calibrated for quite some time now, but I've been hesitant to hire a calibrator because of the cost, thinking that buying the gear and doing it myself might be about as expensive, and will allow me to calibrate a lot of current and future displays. But, I'm not sure, because I'm not sure what I need.

I've understood that I need a colorimeter, but which one? Are the cheaper ones, like the X-Rite i1 accurate enough to read out a delta e of <3, and do they do HDR?

Do I need a hardware pattern generator or not? On the Calman website, it says I need that to do HDR, is that true?

Do I need the Calman software, or is there a cheaper alternative that does the job just as fine? Also, does the LG version of the software only do LG, meaning that I will have to buy another software suite if I want to calibrate another display?

Thanks in advance for tips to get started!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-22-2020, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Afaik the i1 Display Pro is a pretty good unit. They ship it with the ASUS PA32UCX, a video editing monitor for 4 grand. If it's good for semi-professional work, it should be good for us mere mortals as well

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn - BOSS
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #3 of 6 Old 05-25-2020, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I've been thinking and wondering the same, what equipment and software do I need to get started.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-25-2020, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
post #5 of 6 Old 05-25-2020, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post
I've been thinking and wondering the same, what equipment and software do I need to get started.
You definitely need a colorimeter, and i1Display Pro is a consensus good choice as an accurate and affordable unit. Other hardware such as a spectrophotometer, or a pattern generator is optional IMO. You will be a little less accurate without profiling your colorimeter with a spectrophotometer, but unless you are looking for reference grade results you can get by. For patterns you can use disc based solutions, downloaded files on a USB stick, or DIY solution using a Raspberry Pi. If you need HDR or DV patterns, things get a bit more challenging, but still doable.

As for software, you have free and paid options. What you need depends on what capabilities you need, and how much of the adjustment process you want automated.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by rajendra82; 05-25-2020 at 04:08 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-29-2020, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hey there. I bought my own meters a year ago, and learned how to calibrate using the various "how to" guides on the forums.

Prior to that, I had my Panasonic plasma calibrated professionally since 2012.

Here's what I purchased to get me started:

i1Display Pro 3 colorimeter

i1Basic Pro 2 spectrophotometer (used as a reference meter)

Ted's Lightspace CMS Calibration Disc (used on my PS4)

Chromapure Video Calibration software

A camera tripod

The Basic Pro 2 is optional, but the difference in accuracy is about a deltaE of 2-3 between it and the Display Pro, with the Basic Pro being the more accurate device.

I'd recommend it, but for me personally, it was pretty expensive, and cost me twice as much as the other stuff combined, and that's only because I found it for nearly half price on ebay.

In terms of calibration software, while HCFR is free, the main appeal of the program is exactly that it is free....I found it very difficult to use, and you gotta be willing to comb through the forums to work through issues.

I purchased Chromapure and have been pretty happy with it ever since.

I would consider paid calibration software to be pretty essential, if you can get it.

I just got an 8G Kuro a few weeks ago, calibrated it, and it's replaced my Panasonic as my main viewing TV. It was pretty nice to be able to do it myself, with no need to wait months for a calibration booking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page