Super basic beginner Projector Calibration Questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-14-2020, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Super basic beginner Projector Calibration Questions

I recently purchased my first projector (Epson 5040ub) and it looks pretty good! But I can tell it badly needs to be calibrated.

I just place an order for an X-Rite i1Display Pro and just burned a disk of charts from here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...libration.html

Searching for information about calibrating and I am bombarded with pages of really technical info that is quite scary to a total beginner like myself.

I have a few questions that are probably super obvious to someone who has done this before. I will just list them below.

Do I need that i1Display Pro with the calibration disk? Do they work together? Or does this disk get the job done ok without the i1Display Pro?

Searching youtube I see a lot of people using charts that come within their chosen calibration software. Which would mean calibrating from a computer. Is that any different from using the charts from this DVD I just burned? My goal is to have the best color when watching blu rays so to me it makes more sense to use the DVD charts?

Does anyone recommend a calibration software that is easy for a beginner to use/ understand? Are the free ones just as good as the ones you need to pay for?

Any information and or general tips are super appreciated!

Thanks a bunch for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-15-2020, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Welcome to the world of home TV calibration. I will try not to lead you down a rabbit hole. The basic idea of calibration is to provide a known signal and then measure the output. Adjustments are then made to make the measured output as close to the input as possible.So in your case, the known signal is the AVSHD709 disk placed into your Blu-Ray player. This produces a known signal to you display device, the Epson 5040UB. You then measure the signal (picture) using the i!Display Pro. In order to use the iD3 (shortcut name) you will need to use a computer with some calibration software on it. I use HCFR available via this forum. It is open source and supported by many members. It is however said to have a steep learning curve. I did not have any issues with it. There are paid calibration software packages: Calman, ColorSpace among others. So to answer your questions:

1. Yes yoiu need both the disc and the iD3.
2. You can use computer software to produce the patterns or known signals, but in my opinion it is much easier to use the disc. You have to get all of the settings just right on your computer and projector, and even then you may not get a good calibration.
3. I recommend HCFR https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1393853-hcfr-open-source-projector-display-calibration-software.html

LG OLED65B6P TV, Marantz SR7012 AV receiver, Sony UBP-X700 Player, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #3 of 5 Old 06-15-2020, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post
Welcome to the world of home TV calibration. I will try not to lead you down a rabbit hole. The basic idea of calibration is to provide a known signal and then measure the output. Adjustments are then made to make the measured output as close to the input as possible.So in your case, the known signal is the AVSHD709 disk placed into your Blu-Ray player. This produces a known signal to you display device, the Epson 5040UB. You then measure the signal (picture) using the i!Display Pro. In order to use the iD3 (shortcut name) you will need to use a computer with some calibration software on it. I use HCFR available via this forum. It is open source and supported by many members. It is however said to have a steep learning curve. I did not have any issues with it. There are paid calibration software packages: Calman, ColorSpace among others. So to answer your questions:

1. Yes yoiu need both the disc and the iD3.
2. You can use computer software to produce the patterns or known signals, but in my opinion it is much easier to use the disc. You have to get all of the settings just right on your computer and projector, and even then you may not get a good calibration.
3. I recommend HCFR https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1393853-hcfr-open-source-projector-display-calibration-software.html
Super helpful! Really appropriate the help.

While I have you on the phone mind if I throw one more at you?

Do I need to do a separate calibration for HDR content? Or will one calibration do the trick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-16-2020, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have not yet performed a HDR calibration. However it is my understanding that you first perform a SDR calibration and then the HDR. You will need a different set of patterns for the HDR calibration.

LG OLED65B6P TV, Marantz SR7012 AV receiver, Sony UBP-X700 Player, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #5 of 5 Old 06-16-2020, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 6285 Post(s)
Liked: 2646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_EM View Post
Super helpful! Really appropriate the help.

While I have you on the phone mind if I throw one more at you?

Do I need to do a separate calibration for HDR content? Or will one calibration do the trick?
HDR and SDR use completely different gamma curves and colour spaces, so they need to be calibrated separately. You can still use HCFR's internal patterns even for HDR, as long as the projector can be switched manually to the HDR mode.

There's a dedicated thread on calibrating HDR for Epson 5040/6040.

JVC DLA-X550R; Denon AVR-X3400H; HD Fury Linker / Vertex 2; ATV4K; Sony UBP-X700
JVC Curves; Optimizing HDR;
Creating a basic HDR curve using Arve’s Tool;
Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
5040UB , beginner , calibration , Epson , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page